Author Topic: Texas Colts  (Read 3843 times)

Offline Chaparosa

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Texas Colts
« on: November 23, 2011, 02:14:20 PM »
Gentlemen -
 I have been reading your missives with great interest. I hope you find equal interest in this daguerrotype from the tented studio of our local artiste, showing  my new Colt's Dragoon pistol.

It was shipped all the way down here to La Chaparosa Colonia from New York - by steamer to Galveston, and hence by mule team.
Herewith another daguerrotype of my old Colt's five-shooter, which I bought of a veteran of the late Republic's Navy who had fallen upon hard times. Although it has stood me in good stead on many an occasion, the new six-shooter is improved in every particular over the older model.

If you chance to visit these parts, you will find a ready welcome. There are always frijoles, and usually beef, waiting on the table to greet the weary traveler, with sufficient whiskey on hand to disguise the taste of the water. Alas, I fear that if your tastes run to oysters and champagne, you will have to make your sojourn with the political types in Austin.
With best wishes for the success of your historical venture, I remain
Chaparosa

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Texas Colts
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 01:18:21 PM »
Those are some great looking revolvers, Chaparosa, and a good story to go with them. Welcome to The American Plainsmen Society.

Offline Chaparosa

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 01:43:55 PM »
Many thanks for the welcome and the kind words. I think las pistolas still look pretty good after 160 years:

La colonia, not so much. ;D

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:59:30 AM »

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 10:58:07 AM »
Chaparosa: What a lovely idea to have your pistolas Daguerreotyped! I simply must have a Patterson some day. Love the map of your place, too.

Offline Hangtown Frye

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 08:01:19 PM »
Somebody knows what he's doing with the "Transition Walker" having its cylinder in the white...

Good job, Chaparosa!  Nice brace of Colt's you have there, as well.  Next thing you know, you'll be off chasing across the wilds of West Texas with RIP Ford!

Cheers!

Gordon

Offline Chaparosa

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 11:37:07 AM »
 Next thing you know, you'll be off chasing across the wilds of West Texas with RIP Ford!
Chaparosa, an Irish immigrant with a Mexican bride, likes the friendly folks and warm climate of South Texas. He doesn't have much use for the Comanche country out west. He has a place on the river near Roma on land originally settled by his in-laws, and is going into the steamboat business on the Rio Grande with a couple of captains named Kenedy and King.

In the years to come, he is going to follow his friends into the ranching business north of the Rio Grande at a place called Santa Gertrudis Creek, with a little spread they'll call the King Ranch.

Thanks for the kind words. I think the name Hangtown Frye is wonderful. ;D

Offline Hangtown Frye

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 05:46:23 PM »
Glad you enjoy the little joke in my name.  Not many get it.   ;)

I hope that Chaparosa enjoys his partnership with Mssrs. King and Kennedy down on the old Rio Bravo.  Sounds like a great life if you enjoy it warm!  I remember my own days on that river fondly, though I was a bit West of there, out where the Lipans and Kickapoo resort.  Still too warm for my tastes, though, so I gladly leave my portion to your estate!  :)

Cheers!

Gordon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com