Author Topic: 20 gauge coach gun choices  (Read 10312 times)

Offline John William McCandles

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
20 gauge coach gun choices
« on: November 22, 2011, 07:03:36 PM »
What would the best alternative to a 20 ga. Rossi coach gun be?
I am looking into this for my wife Sierra Sue who at one time had a Rossi but some one else decided they liked it and all our other firearms better than we did.
So lets see what we come up with.

Regards
JW
NCOWS #1792
SASS #963
STORM #59
Johnson County Rangers
The Old West Players
Alpine Outlaws (Inactive)
NRA Life
NAHC Life
U.S. Navy Submarine Service Retired

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 20 gauge coach gun choices
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 08:19:30 PM »
I got my  wife a Stoeger Coach gun in 20 ga.. Single trigger and she loves it. It has been completely dependable also. They also make one with double triggers as well however none I've seen with double hammers.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 05:41:54 AM »
My wife has a 20ga Stoeger, double trigger and does well with it. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:04:57 PM »

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 04:51:21 PM »
The Stoegers with single triggers are finicky, and can double if one has not mastered the trigger pull required. I never could master the trigger pull, so Stoeger replaced it with a double trigger version and all is well now.

If you are looking at the Stoeger, look at the stainless steel recievered Supreme model. It has a fairly functional rubber butt pad already installed, as well as screw-in chokes. The chokes are standard Winchester/Mossberg, so finding replacements is easy.

Offline El Jefe

• Citizen
    • Cowboy Action Shooting - Deep in the Heart of Texas
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 06:34:07 PM »
I shoot the Stoeger Coach Gun Supreme (Single Trigger) in 20 gauge myself and found it to be a fantastic gun after reworking the safety and polishing the action. Mine opens cleanly with little force and snaps shut with a flick of the wrist. Had to replace the soft firing pins after the heads mushroomed but didn't really need much honing before I could eject both shotshells with an easy backwards motion. I shoot Winchester AA target loads and the recoil is almost nothing. The single trigger is crisp and makes it very easy to squeeze off two shots in less than one second. I honestly couldn't be happier with my choice.
Regards from Texas

Jeff Lynch
SASS #: 93751
SASS Alias: Colonel Benjamin Terry (Texas Rangers)

CAS Blog: http://cowboyshooting.wordpress.com

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 07:40:54 PM »
El Jeff, mine are all in 12 G.

I am glad you are having good luck with the 20 G single trigger.

It may be that the 20 G recoils less, or maybe your trigger pulling technique is just better than mine. 

John, since you are looking for a 20 G and not a 12g, maybe the single trigger is worth looking at.

It sure would be nice to be able to try before you buy, but the Stoeger people were pretty good to me about making me happy. The single trigger 12 G and I just didn't see eye to eye, but they swapped it out for the single trigger version as their own idea after 2 attempts at getting it to work for me.

I do have a couple pairs of the stainless firing pins and the wrench for it, but haven't seen the need to mess with them yet. Is it just an unscrew and screw back in affair or does it get tricky for some reason?

Rick

Offline El Jefe

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 09:21:35 PM »
El Jeff, mine are all in 12 G.

I am glad you are having good luck with the 20 G single trigger.

It may be that the 20 G recoils less, or maybe your trigger pulling technique is just better than mine. 

John, since you are looking for a 20 G and not a 12g, maybe the single trigger is worth looking at.

It sure would be nice to be able to try before you buy, but the Stoeger people were pretty good to me about making me happy. The single trigger 12 G and I just didn't see eye to eye, but they swapped it out for the single trigger version as their own idea after 2 attempts at getting it to work for me.

I do have a couple pairs of the stainless firing pins and the wrench for it, but haven't seen the need to mess with them yet. Is it just an unscrew and screw back in affair or does it get tricky for some reason?

Rick

Rick,

Changing the firing pins is about as simple as it gets. Use the three-prong spanner wrench to loosen each pin holder then unscrew by hand. Just be careful not to lose the tiny firing pin springs. I haven't been able to find aftermarket replacements yet.

Regards from Texas

Jeff Lynch

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 02:28:34 PM »
El Jeff, does it matter if the action is cocked or decocked when one does this?

Offline El Jefe

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 06:18:30 PM »
El Jeff, does it matter if the action is cocked or decocked when one does this?

Doesn't seem to matter at all since the firing pins are separate from the cocked parts that "fire" them. Just don't touch the trigger while you're replacing them.
Regards from Texas

Jeff Lynch

Offline HogDoc Olliday

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 10:55:22 AM »
Bought my wife a Stoeger 20 gauge double triggers. She loves it. Well, to tell you the truth...I love it too! But my gun is a lever action 12 gauge. But the Stoeger 20 is a great shotgun.  
HogDoc Olliday
SASS #89965
"Born 100 Years too late"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com