Author Topic: Finally got it started!  (Read 4830 times)

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Finally got it started!
« on: November 21, 2011, 06:56:39 AM »
Well yeaterday I got off dead center from collecting parts and took my project piece to Dave Lanara. I had aquired an 84XXX range SAA in sore need of some help. Poked around gun shows for a while and have collected enough pieces to resurrect it, so it's now in Dave's loving hands. Haven't bothered to letter it, it's going to cost me enough as it is without giving Colt a small fortune for a piece of paper, which will probably tell me something I really don't want to know anyway. When done it will be in 45 Colt, which it was originally anyways, but sport a 4 3/4" barrel, had a cut down on it tht was 5", and be nickle plated, which it also appeared to have been once, whether factory or not is anyone's guess. Last part will be to fit it with a pair of one piece ivories and voila, the old gal will be back on the line beching the one true powder and lead just like the old days. Ahh I can smell the sulpher already!

Now why do this? I wish I knew. Maybe the overiding desire to return a thing of beauty to a useful condition, maybe something to pass along to one of my (six!) kids who might shoot it one day and remember dear old dad, I don't know. But this is something I've thought about and planned for for a great many years, almost like a mild obsession (if there is such a thing), just something that had to happen. You know like taxes!

And don't worry about the other kids, there's plenty of other Colts to go around, this one will just be Dad's Colt, if that makes any sense.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
Re: Finally got it started!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 08:06:17 AM »
Sounds like a worthy project to me!  Didja take any "before" pics?

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 09:11:25 AM »
I've got one of those.  The old lady left the factory in '82.  Someone used a pristine 41 cal barrel and cylinder to sleve it down to 22 mag.  I have been gathering parts I have a 2nd gen 7 1/2 in barrel and cylinder.  Plus some other parts.  Someday soon.   Send pictures when you are done.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:20:34 PM »

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 11:47:05 AM »
 :-[ Abilene, no I didn't. The idea struck me about an hour after I dropped it off with Dave at the OGCA show. Kick'n myself right about now, and Joe, I will be posting pics when she's home and complete. ;)

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 11:51:55 AM »
'Someone used a pristine 41 cal barrel and cylinder to sleve it down to 22 mag.'

OUCH! What a waste, altho' at the time it was probably a good decision given the non availability of 41 Colt ammo. I still kick myself because of the 41 cal SAA's I let slip by cause you couldn't shoot 'em.

What other parts are you in need of, I've still got a few things squirreled away.

Offline Devil Anse Hatfield

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 01:38:22 PM »
I have a franken colt . It was someones poor attempt at building a Bisley .
Now I got a great deal on the unit. It was close when I got it home. After inspection it was pretty ruff. I shot it one time. After that I spent 30 mins searching the grass for part of ejector rod housing screw .
After that wreck it came to the bench for a complete tear down. It wasnt in 45 so that was of first order gather parts to make it so.
After a few shows and searches I bought 3 cyl. in one day. got a barrel of G.B.. New spring kit and all internals.
What I figured out after buying all the parts plus the gun . I could have bought a very nice shootable old colt about anywear.
But it would not have been as fun as hunting down what I needed.
Devil

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 03:37:35 PM »
 ;D Devil, I know what you mean. This gun was originally intended to become a 44-40 with a 7 1/2" barrel in nickel plate... then two Peacemaker Centennials in 44 fell into my hands (well fell may not be the best description, but what the wife don't know won't get me killed) :-X. But every other first gen Colt I have has had issues. I own a 1901 Buntline... at least the frame and straps are from 1901 8). I have an 1891 that has a third gen cylinder and hand and a millenium finish :-[. My pride is an 1876 gun that only needed the barrel replaced to be back to letter ;D. So I can feel for all the other guys who have FrankenColts.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 08:54:28 PM »
Well it has happened again. Why cant I steer away from these oddballs. Franken colt no 2 followed me home today. Im not real sure why it was done but  It was a longer barrel  cut back and crowned. With a Bastered front sight. However the rear wasnt opened up.
The grip frame doesnt match . But its complete as soon as I put a set of grips on. I traded off a french 1875 and some cashfor the colt.
It found me so did a Iver Johson  and a Butler 22 single shot derringer.  It was a fun day  spent a few hundred . Got rid of a gun I couldnt shoot, Got 2 that will and one that needs some work.

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2011, 04:14:48 PM »
 ;D Devil, those things just have to happen to someone. So I guess we'll have to put up with 'em as they come along. ;D

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2011, 06:36:27 PM »
Well the wife went with me . She said  you know their is a gun show in town today .
 I really had no clue, most of them I get tired of looking at black guns with headlights, turn signals and back up alarms. Just to find a few dealers with guns that are worth the metal they were made from . To find a few old crustys that think I dont know a colt from a slingshot . They have spent a lifetime collecting and showing off their prized unshot still in the box units.  They really dont care if they sell or trade they are just out for the fun . About twice a year I try and buy from the old boys. Only to let them know that Sam Colt made em but I shoot em. Then they go on a rant about it not being worth as much and so on.  Its actually kinda funny some times.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com