Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2018, 04:31:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Barracks (Moderators: Delmonico, Pitspitr)  |  Topic: uniform questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: uniform questions  (Read 45997 times)
Trailrider
CAS-L Ghost Rider
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #150 on: January 03, 2012, 11:38:19 pm »

There was a practice during the Indian Wars period when an officer could transfer to another post...if he could find an officer of equal rank who wanted to switch with him.  If a coast artillery officer was bored and wanted some adventure "out West" perhaps he could have found another officer, say in Arizona, who was tired of chasing Geronimo, and wanted a change of scene...  With the availability of uniforms being what they were (not), the arty type might have elected to wear his old uniform in the field.

You know, in point of fact, I probably should have been a redleg myself, as I "matriculated" as a targeting officer on some loooong range "morters" back in the '60's. (Just aimed them and made sure they were ready for the capsule drivers if ever needed. Thank God they haven't been so far...!) But studying a bunch of IW period history got me dressed up with a cavalryman's stripes and shoulder straps.  Then, because I felt I'd been a captain long enough (since '68), and because of my leather work and experiments with ammunition, I was breveted major of Ordnance and now brevet Lt. Col. of same.  So you see, you can make whatever you want work!  Smiley

Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF
G.W. Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

GAF, Department of the Missouri

« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2012, 10:03:18 am »

I have a question about pant leg stripes. I have seen surviving originals with the non-side seam pockets (levi pocket style) and the seam stripes end at the bottom of the pocket and cover the seam. Where do the stipes end on the side seam pocket pants?

George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators
G.W. Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2012, 02:15:29 pm »

I think I answered my own question. The stripes continue up to the waistband but go behind the pocket slit.

Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators
Grapeshot
Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
Top Active Citizen

WARTHOG

« Reply #153 on: January 06, 2012, 05:07:49 am »

Can anyone judge the qualiy of the repro knife?

Depends on where you get it.  You are looking for a belt knife?  You might want to check Bud-K or Kennesaw Knifes and find one that approximates the style you want.  Failing that, try What Price Glory's website.  IIRC they were advertising 19th Century Issue knifes with Scaboards.  I do not remember seeing Artillery Troops with any issue knives, Sabers, which they used for hacking down brush, but I haven't run into any pictures uf them using anything like the Bolo Knives that you see in the early 20th Century equipment.

If someone else out there knows more about this feel free to sound off.

Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.
Drydock
MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2012, 07:27:53 pm »

http://www.history.army.mil/html/museums/uniforms/survey.html

Its a useful download.

Civilize them with a Krag . . .
G.W. Strong
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #155 on: January 06, 2012, 08:54:36 pm »

Thanks for that.

SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators
1961MJS
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2014, 12:29:40 am »

No idea - all mine are original.

You 'could' opt for an Indian-made sheath with a carbon steel butcher knife, though - those were very common.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

Hi

Sorry about being Frankenstein again, but I dislike having six threads about similar things.

I have a few 7 inch Green River butcher knife blades, what sort of Indian style sheath would be used with a Fair Weather Christian Belt (.45 LC)? 

THanks

Pitspitr
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA

« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2014, 06:07:09 am »

Wow, after going back and re-reading the early parts of this thread I can hardly believe how far your kit has come in just 2 years GW!

Mike I'll see what I can dig up.

I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA RSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Endowment Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life
Bat 2919
G Man / Bat Masterson
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #158 on: February 07, 2014, 01:08:49 pm »

I have a question.  I know this Span Am suspender project has been going on for some time now.  I would love to get my hands on a pair of them.  What's the status of that project?

I'm working from the other side of the time line.  I've got my Wild Bunch (Punitive Expedition) kit fleshed out pretty well but now I'm trying to morph what I already own into something pre 1900 that I can wear at Pitsptr's June Grand Muster / Zoot Shooters shindig.

When I was young and dumb I found myself working for my Uncle Sam in the enlisted ranks.  I've developed a reputation in SASS as a natty dresser and the only way I have any chance of keeping up that standard would be in an officerís uniform.  I've Brevetted myself at one time or another from Captain (I'm way too old to be a shave tail but a crusty old O - 3 exiled to the 9th Cav. works very well) all the way up to Bird Colonel.  I've got some stars somewhere, who knows I may even make it to Brigadier before I'm done.

One thing to remember is that what is worn in garrison is as different as night and day from whatís worn in the field.  I'm sure thatís every bit as true now as it was in the 1800's.   There are two dynamics I learned.  First, no one in the field wants to stand out as a high value target, second, in the field expedient environment comfort and practicality trump uniform regulations every time.

Expect officers and ranking NCO's to attempt to wear uniforms that don't make them look too much different from the EM's and an obvious target.  No one can see the difference in the size of the stripe on someone's trousers from a distance but Officers are and were famous for wearing enlisted hats it the field.  Along that same line saluting in the field is all but unknown unless of course you don't like your CO.

Comfort is always king in the field as well.  That heavy wool blouse couldn't have been very comfortable to wear.  I'd be willing to bet that the when someone finally wrote down the regulations allowing NCOís to wear stripes on their shirt sleeves or officers to wear rank insignia on their shirt collars in the late 1890ís it was something that had been the practice for some time and they were simply authorizing something they knew worked.

Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750
G.W. Strong
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #159 on: February 09, 2014, 02:46:55 pm »

Wow, after going back and re-reading the early parts of this thread I can hardly believe how far your kit has come in just 2 years GW!

Mike I'll see what I can dig up.

Thanks for the kind words.
I have never been one for half measures.

I've done quite a bit of work this year. I should be well kitted out with largely new uniforms and gear this year. And i have also been working on a new expansion era uniform for 2014 and an entirely different one for 2015.

SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators
1961MJS
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2014, 04:28:26 pm »

Hi

I ordered:

Plains Indian Knife Sheaths: Materials, Design & Construction
Kozlov, Alex

from Amazon.com.  I hope to get a bit of a clue what style sheath to build from it.  I didn't find anything but Issue stuff in the Cavalry books, and no mention in either Seiber or Kelley's biographies.

Thanks
1961MJS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2018, 02:32:14 pm »

Hi

I have an 1874 Cavalry Sharps in .45-70 and a .30-40 Krag Carbine.  I'm currently working up loads for the Krag.  i HAD a load for the Sharps but its in IMR-30331.  No sense in competing with bolt guns if I don't have to.  I have a decent post Civil War fatigue uniform. I also have most of the 1884 fatigue uniform, but not enough to go out in public yet (no pants).  I have the shirt, leggings, hat, cartridge belt, and shoes, but no pants or coat yet.   I have decent eating utensils for both setups and even a canteen for each.  

My current questions concerns my lack of anything to kill the bayonet dummy with.  I spent quite a bit of time over the past years putting handles on store bought blades and making sheaths for them.  I did that back at my parent's and have since sold their house.  Obviously the bayonet dummy can't be allowed to live.  I did a tittle searching and found a website called the Kult of Athena and they sell knives you dirty old men.  They have a decent 1860 Light Cavalry blade, a Rifleman's knife circa 1849, and a D-Guard Bowie knife that all look decently made.  

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=500618&name=1860+Light+Cavalry+Union+Saber

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=AH3170&name=A22+Rifleman%27s+Knife

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=400928&name=D%2DGuard+Bowie+Knife

I'm leaning on carrying "Dad's" Old Rifleman's knife or the D-Guard Bowie that I picked up during the March to the Sea primarily because even though D''artagnan was about the coolest guy ever, the sword is dang near 4 foot long and the sword belt is another $100 to $250 depending on how good I go.  No one makes the 1907 Bolo anymore, just the WW1 version dang it.  I rally hate to blow $300 plus just for one dummy, do I REALLY need the sword?  Heck I could get both the knives just for the Sword price.

COMMENTS

Mike
GAF #797
Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma
Drydock
MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #162 on: February 17, 2018, 06:14:28 pm »

Post war, most sabres were left in the depot, and most cavalrymen carried a knife of some sort.  This resulted in a number of official knife projects during the 1880s.  I really like the Rifleman's Knife myself.

Most of us who do have swords wear them with the dress uniform.  I keep a knife on my belt for bayonet dummies when using my carbines in skirmish runs.

Civilize them with a Krag . . .
1961MJS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #163 on: February 17, 2018, 11:54:27 pm »

Thanks Drydock

For now, I ordered the Rifleman's Knife.  Since we're doing the Philippine Insurrection this year, someone might want one of these Barongs. 

http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=TFW030&name=Moro+Barong+

They have a picture of one in the Osprey "The Spanish-American War and Philippine Insurrection" by Alexandro Quesada.

Later

Mike
GAF #797
Division of Oklahoma
1961MJS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2018, 10:58:44 pm »

Hi

I received a nice BIG package from Palantine Illinois today containing an 1849 Ames Rifleman's Knife and an 1880 Hunting Knife / 1892 Entrenchment Knife (depends on what year it was made).  These are from Windlass and are sort of poorly made, but I paid under $100 total and most other places charge substantially more for these two.  Poorly made sounds like I'm not happy.  These are built like a titanium outhouse.  Heavy as hell and built to last, but these are NOT custom show knives.  They are both HUGE by the way.  Neither are sharpened, but a few months of working with the Lanzky Sharpener should work that out.  The Ames Dagger is 13 inches long instead of the 12 inches it's supposed to be.

Later

* 01_Ames_Sheath_Front_Web.jpg (83.21 KB, 640x480 - viewed 32 times.)

* 02_Ames_Sheath_Back_Web.jpg (92.41 KB, 640x480 - viewed 38 times.)

* 03_Ames_Riflemans_Dagger_Web.jpg (82.56 KB, 640x480 - viewed 39 times.)

* 04_Ames_Riflemans_Dagger_Hilt_Web.jpg (36.73 KB, 448x336 - viewed 34 times.)

Mike
GAF #797
Division of Oklahoma
1961MJS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2018, 11:49:25 pm »

Hi

Here are some pictures of what is labeled as an Entrenching Knife by the Kult of Athena (Windlass).  This is a stoutly built knife and will be useful, but is not too correct.  The 8.5 inch blade is 11 inches and I'm sure the grip is too long also.  Its heavy and thick.  I plan on sharpening it with more of a chopping angle on the edge.  Only one side of the blade can be sharpened.  That's not what it looked like in the pictures though.  I'll work on my own sheath and see what I end up with.

Later

* 01_Entrenchment_Dagger_Web.jpg (82.88 KB, 640x480 - viewed 41 times.)

* 02_Entrenchment_Dagger_Web.jpg (80.12 KB, 640x480 - viewed 29 times.)

* 04_Entrenchment_Dagger_Butt_Web.jpg (35.09 KB, 360x336 - viewed 44 times.)

Mike
GAF #797
Division of Oklahoma
cpt dan blodgett
Top Active Citizen

SASS Conv 2013

« Reply #166 on: March 06, 2018, 08:35:06 pm »

Having a long barreled Krag with bayonet lug I don't need a knife as I have the bayonet for the Krag, works well on 03 springfield and M-1 Garrand as well.  The 16 inch bayonet for the 03 vs the 10 for the Krag was to give equal reach given the shorter barrel of the 03.

Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  The Barracks (Moderators: Delmonico, Pitspitr)  |  Topic: uniform questions « previous next »
Jump to: