Author Topic: The 45-75, any thoughts?  (Read 14057 times)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The 45-75, any thoughts?
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2011, 01:08:40 PM »
Not sure yet as to why BUT a piece of the 45-75 brass in hand does not seem to have near the neck ahead of the neck as is it appears in the photos.  I have not taken it out to the loading room to look at it against some 400gr bullts but I'm sure OAL requirements will eat up the space more quickly than I originally thought.  Buffalo also sent a copy of their last catalogue, so expect lots more questions to follow.

Offline Cimarron

• North of the Cimarron River, I.T.
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 12:24:10 PM »
I have had my Cimarron 1876 for about 18 months now.  It is in .45-75 WCF.  I have a Buffalo Arms Co. 350 grain bullet mold and I use Jameson brass.  I have shot 5744 and some Pyrodex (black is hard to come by here, let alone Swiss which I would like to try).  I have gotten good results with the 5744.  It pushes 350 grain bullet at 1365 fps according to my Oehler 35P chrono..  Getting acceptable accuracy at 100 yards.  2-3 inch groups using a Marbles tang sight. 
HOLY BLACK?  YOU MUST BE TALKING ABOUT PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE!

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 09:14:18 AM »
I have been using APP for all of my cartridge loading and Goex for all shotgun and non-cartridge guns.  It was always my intention to use Goex ff in 45-70 and the 45-75 rifles but now I am having second thoughts about the '76.  Though the price would go up with APP in those large cases, one would not have the problem of barrel fouling out with APP and wouldn't this be an important factor where time may become the decider?  Reading seems to indicate that bullet lube alone does not keep the rifle going?  Do the repeater guys normally get into the blow tubes and swabbing that goes along with single shot buffalo rifles?

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 05:49:02 PM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 10:22:50 AM »
Slowhand Bob;  I havn;t found GOEX causing serious fouling in my Chappie NWMP carbine.  I'm not even using Bigloob bullets, merely bog-standard Lyman 457193 and Gould HP moulds. There is no reason not to try it out and see how it works for you.

I have never tried APP but do use pyrodex in antiques with frosty barrels that foul-out really quickly.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 08:05:18 PM »

Looks like we are talking $150 or higher for a custom set of Hornady dies, good price or too high?  I know I do not want the short dies produced by Lee but would like to hear some die recommendations.  The guy I talked with at Hornady didnt seem to know or understand the caliber or its needs any better than I do, BUT he did say that wasnt exactly what he done there.  He kept wanting to know if I would need a two or three die set???  DUH, I wanted him to tell me that, not the other way around!

The Hornady dies are over priced and not needed.  Lee makes a good die for the 45-75 at an attractive price. http://leeprecision.com/xcart/V-LTD-3-DIE-45-75.html

I like the CH4D Tool and Die reloading dies.  http://www.ch4d.com/

They offer the 45-75 dies for both the Winchester and  the Uberti chamber.  Their prices have gone up, and are now at $113.

Good luck. :)  Merry Christmas! ;D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2011, 12:55:36 AM »
Lee are good dies in standard rounds, including the .45-75. 

CH4D are the go-to suppliers of non-standard dies.  Great dies, great price
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2011, 08:58:56 AM »
Not sure where to point the finger of blame but the one set of Lee dies I tried to plug into my Hornady LNL press was not a reasonale fit.  Between the LNL insert length and the short Lee dies there was just not sufficient room.  It can be made into a jury-rig set up but I wouldn't want to start out with the combination as a plan.  I now have a small stockpile of the brass (50) and plan to start a search for the right bullet when I return home from the holidays.  I'm told that the Uberti 45-75 is not currently available so I am using the interim to gather supplies and information, so be on the watch for my next 2,000 dumb questions!  MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2011, 12:38:03 PM »
Slowhand, go look at Taylors website, they had the Uberti 76 on sale in under the clearance tab.
 Also as to powder you'll probably be the best off by ordering some KIK 1.5  from Powder Inc. 10lbs is 156$ delivered to your door.
I've not done anything with the 45-75, but unless its more of a bugger to work with than the 44-77, the stuff about these bottlenecked cartridges being hard to work with isn't necessarrily right.
Forgot to add if you have a spirit of adventure CDNN investments has Chapparrels for about 600$.
 And yes Jamison did close their doors , but that brass is in good supply at both Buffalo Arms and Grafs.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Beargrease

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2012, 11:38:47 PM »
Thanks for all the good tips.

Just got a Uberti 1876 in 45-75.
Only have shot a few rounds thru it so far and it seems to be a hoot.
Shooting nothing but black.
Seems to be a challenge to get enough lube for the 28" barrel.

Look forward to working with you fine gents.

Offline Rafe Covington

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2012, 01:06:25 PM »
Lee are good dies in standard rounds, including the .45-75. 

CH4D are the go-to suppliers of non-standard dies.  Great dies, great price

I got my 40-60 WCF and 50-95 WCF dies from CH4D, very good people to work with.

Rafe
If there is nothing in your life worth dying for than you are already dead

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com