Author Topic: Uberti Schofield  (Read 3312 times)

Offline reddog reddog

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti Schofield
« on: November 11, 2011, 09:13:15 PM »
I recently purchased a pre-owned but unfired 3.5" Uberti Schofield. With the action open, there is a little bit of side to side play in the hinge pin. When closed, it seems to lock up tight. Is it normal to have some side to side play in the hinge pin?
Thanks for your help!

Offline BlackCatBriggs

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Uberti Schofield
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 09:56:54 PM »
I'm not absolutely certain about this, as I do not own the firearm. But, I feel I should mention a particular phenomenon I encountered with a SAA clone that belonged to a friend of mine a few years ago. It seemed to wiggle to the right, incidentally corresponding with the cylinder on the pistol. Now, I know the SAA doesn't have the Top-Break action of the Schofield, but bear with me.

The problem with the Colt turned out to be a cylinder indexing issue. Considering that the Schofield is exhibiting similar issues, but going in both directions, and that the cylinder on the Schofield can freely spin either way, I feel a little suspicious. Try loading some empty brass into your gun and closing the action. Next, cock the hammer repeatedly (Remember not to dry fire unless you've got snap-caps) to see if the cylinder can make a full revolution. If it doesn't, my theory would have a little more credence, and you might want to get on the phone with Uberti about getting a new gun. I certainly wouldn't fire it until someone knowledgeable said, "It's fine." or I at least discovered the source of the issue.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 12:16:39 AM »
My Schofield is tight either open or closed.  I wonder if tightening the hinge pin screw would help.  It also seems that if it is tight when closed, it might not be a problem.  I should mention that I am not thoroughly familiar with working on Schofields. 

If you don't get a good answer here, you could post it in the "Frontier Iron" section.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:59:58 PM »

Offline reddog reddog

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 10:23:12 AM »
Thanks for your help! I will post it in the "Frontier Iron" section.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com