Author Topic: Heavy Bed Roll Quilts: Comments  (Read 40691 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Heavy Bed Roll Quilts: Comments
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2005, 03:42:14 PM »
since I don't own a digital camera I am depending on my pard to do it.  Not that he is unreliable but there is something come up a bit more important in his life.  also we are getting ready for the GAF muster trying to decide what cook gear is needed.  BTW the posts I am doing on it are the steps on one I am working on right now, recent events have also slowed my progress on it.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

jiminy criquet

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2005, 04:40:51 PM »
OK, understood...you don't have a digital camera.  But you have taken progress photos from the beginning with, say, a $10 disposable camera...to post to the thread later after you've finished the quilt and get the photos developed, correct?

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2005, 05:16:55 PM »
Jiminy I'm sure that as much as Del sews it will not be a problem for him to put the lesson into pictures when and if he gets access to a digital camera and if he decides that he wants to go that far with the lesson.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 08:07:15 PM »

jiminy criquet

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2005, 05:17:46 PM »
By the way, here's a quilt like I was referring to...this ones acts as a cushion on my office computer chair.  The first photo shows the quilt unfolded, the two sides and white 'pocket' backside are visible.  The second photo shows the quilt stuffed into its pocket in 'pillow' mode (pay no attention to the fringe in the 2nd photo, that's from a serape on the back of the chair...yeah, OK, I like all kinds of padding on my computer chair).

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2005, 05:29:37 PM »
Hey Del....I read your lesson and I found a lesson online for crazy quilts.  Somehow I keep missing where the "scraps" of fabric get sewn onto the muslin.  Is that done all in one step while your sewing the scraps together?
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2005, 06:34:54 PM »
Yes, thats why I'm going back and editing it.  Most of my posts are done late at night when my back hurts to much from work I wite about what I'm donig.  I'm also palnning on turning it into a seminar, sometimes I'm at places it don't work out for me to cook.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2005, 06:52:43 PM »
The crazy quilts are gorgeous.  This may be what it takes to get me interested in sewing.  ;D
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2005, 12:34:33 PM »
My wife makes hand sewn quilts that she calls "crazy quilts" but are probably more correctly referred to as "patch work quilts".

She takes an old sheet and starts at a corner and sews a piece of fabric and then cuts another and overlaps the first, and then the next and so on.  You only see the stitches where they join the previous pieces because the next piece covers the stitches on that side.  She has made many of these and as you look at the different ones she has made over the years you can see where her hand sewing skills has improved over the years.  her stitches are much smaller now than when she started.  The quilt on our bed she made several years ago and most of the fabric were remnants of past sewing projects.  We can pick out various fabrics from shirts she made me or dresses for herself and others.  Today she gets most of her scraps from a couple of professional seamstresses who save the scraps for her.   She made Old Gabe a California King sized quilt and one for his NCOWS pard Eastern Earl.  She made another for my boss and his wife.  They have 10 kids and she embroidered their birth dates around the edge along with their wedding date.  All her patch work quilts are hand quilted.  I bought her a PVC quilting frame that takes down into a rather small package and takes up a lot less room than the old wooden one we have.

She also machine sews many quilts and quilts most of them "in the ditch" but has recently joined with her sister on a quilting apparatus that you mount a regular sewing machine in.

Maybe I can take some pictures of a couple of her hand sewn quilts to post here.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2005, 01:00:51 PM »
I will get back to this in the next week or so, I've been writing it as I built a quilt.  Sadly the only place open enough in the house got covered with gear being readied for the GAF Muster and now the same gear is being cleaned and gotten redy for winter storage.  I meant to have this done quicker but things don't always work that way. 

I've got enough stuff in stages of completness that Matt can photograph everything in a few minutes. 

It mighght be nice to start a homemade quilt picture tread since I know I'm not the only one who makes them.  I also slept very warm at the Muster cause I had 5 quilts. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2005, 09:11:29 PM »
My wife makes hand sewn quilts that she calls "crazy quilts" but are probably more correctly referred to as "patch work quilts".

We can pick out various fabrics from shits she made me or dresses for herself and others.  Will Ketchum

Ummm...ya missed a "r".   ;D ::)
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2005, 09:33:38 PM »
Camille,thanks for the tip.  My wife got a kick out of it.  I had to assure it was more of my lack of typing skills and not a Freudian slip.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2005, 09:40:45 PM »
 ;D ;D

Sure is fun to catch people's typos sometimes.  Glad that your wife got a kick out of it.  ;)
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2005, 12:02:13 AM »
You can't tell but in my new avatar from the GAF Muster, the apron has flowers on it and I had 3 quilts and a pillow case with the same material in it and  2 quilts with some of the material in the green and white striped shirt, plus the towel in my shaving kit.  I tend to buy more material than I need. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline HandTub

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2005, 05:47:59 PM »
DEL
ya need to make ol HandTub a quilt so i can stay warm fightin these bone chillin winds good to see ya back to ol friend

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2005, 09:03:13 PM »
If I remember right you are about 12-15 down on my list right now. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2005, 08:00:50 PM »
Del do you sell your quilts?
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2005, 06:42:20 PM »
I would if I could ever get caught up, I have three daughters that don't have one yet, a neice and a nephew.  (The nephew's one will be fun, he wants a camo one. ;D)  Course my brother wants one, my mom asked for a third one for Christmas ( a 4X5 lap rope type, got the top done last night)  Oh and my wife wants a 8X7 for out bed, she thinks the ones I already have are to heavy.  By then the Granddaughter will have out grown her baby one and will need one for a real bed.

I have one to finsh for a wedding present and looks like I'll need another for a wedding.  I also have a great-neice who should get one, she thinks I'm the coolest guy around.  Seems like someone is always gettin' married or havin' babies.  And a couple more for my bedroll would not be bad. ;D  Oh I still have to finish the one for Gopher Grease that I wrote about as I made it.  The gear from the muster got stashed upstairs and I was trying to clean the shed for better storage.  well we know what happened, I got sick and didn't finsh that so I've been stowin' gear in every nook and crany to get room to finish what I have started. 

Why do I do it, cause it's relaxing and I can watch TV while I do it.  You know I was only going to make 1 when I started in 2001.  Have made I belive 15 of various sizes since then, plus the 5 I've got going right now. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2005, 08:04:23 PM »
:(
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2006, 04:24:16 PM »
Del we went to the Mit Museum in CLT last weekend and they had a crazy quilt hanging on the wall there.  I recognized it right away thanks to your posts here.  I got to get an up close look at it.  It was very neat!  I wanted to take a picture of it for you soooo bad but they didn't allow pictures in the museum.  I even looked for one of it in the museum store but they didn't have one.  :(
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2006, 06:37:12 PM »
Camille, the reason for no pictures in most museums is that the flash deteriorates displays.  I learned this in my docent training at the NSHS.  Some say no pictures because folks don't always listen when they say no flash.

NSHS Museum allows non-flash and I always explaine why when I give a tour.

Give me a couple more weeks to get healed up and I'll get back and finish my tread and get the pictures done.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com