Author Topic: Finally made some smoke!  (Read 5299 times)

Offline Capt. Jack McQuesten

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Finally made some smoke!
« on: January 21, 2012, 11:46:01 PM »
Over the past couple of months I have been gathering a couple of Pietta 1858 New Army's. I have two "Sheriff's Models" with 5-1/2" barrels and one standard model with an 8" barrel.

The weather hasn't been too cooperative up here, so I hadn't had a chance to shoot them until today. My local range had it's monthly "Black Powder" shoot today, so I brought my New Army's out and "Made some smoke"!

I was shooting .457 balls, with wonder wads over a charge of 30 grains of Pyrodex and #10 Remington caps. One of the BP shooters let me borrow his reloading stand that was made by Powder Inc. and that sure made loading the cylinders a snap! The New Army's shot great and I am very happy with them.

After I finished cleaning my pistolas I sat down and watched Clint Eastwood in "Pale Rider".....  ;D

SASS #56937  BOLD #527  RATS #120  WARTHOG
"There's payment to be made to them thats done this...."

Offline Wolfgang

• Top Active Citizen
    • The Desperate Hot Springs News
  • Liked:
Re: Finally made some smoke!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 03:55:17 AM »
You are HOOKED really good . . . . :)

Glad to hear you go to shoot them.   

I used wonder wads at first and then quit bothering wtih them.

I just lube over the balls with my mix of  50/50 olive oil and toilet bowl wax.   
Beware the man with one gun, he probably knows how to use it.

Offline Mason Stillwell

• BP C&B SHOOTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 01:49:38 PM »
Don't you just love it when you get to watch a new person to BP get HOOKED  ;D   I really enjoy bp lots more than that smokless stuff.

Later
Mason
Mason Stillwell

Grand Pap to 4
BP C&B Shooter.

Known early on as Pole Cat Pete
Tar Heel at Heart

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:36:38 PM »

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 04:06:35 PM »
Good on you Capt. Jack!  A very warm welcome to the Darkside.  Freedom also means taking control of your ammo supply.  You've taken a long step in the right direction.  Congratulations.

DD-MDA
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 08:07:39 AM »
Cpt. Jack M. - Good on ya, pard!

That loading tool from Powder, Inc. is a good one, but before you buy, you might check with our own Dick Dastardly to see if he still sells his "Tower Of Power" loading helper.  Best I've seen!

Try this:

www.biglube.com/BulletMolds.aspx?ItemID=1302742a-9e12-41e5-881f-f99340c6d9e6

;)
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline longinosoap

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 08:10:33 AM »
I, too, shot my C & B for the first time this weekend. Have a 51 Navy in 44. A lot more work but a lot more fun! Since I only have the one, I paired it with my 75 Remington in 44-40. The sun was in our face and for most of the stages could absolutely not see the targets after the first bang. Lots of misses but balls of fun. Have to find another C & B. Really want a 58 Remi, or better yet a pair.

Soap

Offline Dick Dastardly

• Master of the Dark Arts - MDA
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Big Lube molds
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 08:38:06 AM »
Yup Steel Horse, I've got TOP cylinder loading stands in stock.  For reasons I don't clearly understand the link you gave didn't work here.  Simply click on the URL below and it will go to the Big Lube web site.  The TOP stands are in the "bullet extras" menu.

DD-MDA

http://www.biglube.com
Avid Ballistician in Holy Black
Riverboat Gambler and Wild Side Rambler
Gunfighter Ordinar
Purveyor of Big Lube supplies

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 11:33:06 AM »
I, too, shot my C & B for the first time this weekend. Have a 51 Navy in 44. A lot more work but a lot more fun! Since I only have the one, I paired it with my 75 Remington in 44-40. The sun was in our face and for most of the stages could absolutely not see the targets after the first bang. Lots of misses but balls of fun. Have to find another C & B. Really want a 58 Remi, or better yet a pair.

Soap

Soap,

This is my first foray into Cap & Ball shooting and it is very addicting!.....A friend of mine let me shoot his Pietta New Army and I was hooked....Cabela's was having a heck of a sale on them which I couldn't pass up, so that is where I got my two "Sheriff's Models from. I picked up the 8" model from a member on another board. I got it for the same price as Cabela's was selling them for as it was brand new in the box and he threw in a holster to boot!

Steel Horse,

Thanks for the tip on DD's "Tower of Power"  bench loader and the link to his site......I really like the looks of that one....I guess I will just have to git me one of them.... ;D!

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 11:35:31 AM »
Dick will treat ya well, Capt'n!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline longinosoap

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 05:09:16 PM »
Capt

I concur-it is very addicting. I am sorry I let the sale at Cabela's pass me by. When I saw what they were getting for the 58 Remi's, I argued with myself more than a few times to drive over and get at least one, but alas, I kept talking myself out of it. Had I shot my 51 before last Saturday in a match, I would have picked up a pair in the 8 inch model. I kept busy but it was so much fun. I will keep checking the Cabela's site, and when they put them back on sale you can bet I won't let it pass.

Soap

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 12:20:40 PM »
Yup Steel Horse, I've got TOP cylinder loading stands in stock.  For reasons I don't clearly understand the link you gave didn't work here.  Simply click on the URL below and it will go to the Big Lube web site.  The TOP stands are in the "bullet extras" menu.

DD-MDA

http://www.biglube.com

Just ordered my "Tower of Power" today.......I can't wait to try it out...... ;D!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com