Author Topic: 2011 Grand Muster After Action Report  (Read 16238 times)

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
2011 Grand Muster After Action Report
« on: November 03, 2011, 09:09:48 PM »
3, November 1876 (+135)

To: General U. S. Scout
Headquarters Grand Army of the Frontier
Near Washington City

Copies to: (Bvt.) Col. Major Matt Lewis Chief of Staff,
(Bvt.) Col. Drydock Chief of Ordnance,
(Bvt. ) Col. Bull Schmidt Adjutant ,
and The ladies and gentlemen of the GAF at large

Sir:

I have the honor to submit my report following the 2011 Grand Muster of the Grand Army of the Frontier.

Required duty at my Headquarters prevented The Col.’s Lady and my departure until nearly 22:00 Thursday night. A forced march brought us to the sight of the weekend’s action by 07:30 Friday morning. Following a quick nap I joined the command and action commenced at about 9:00. The first item of business was the Long Range Rifle match. This was a steel match with the 5 targets placed from about 100 to 200 yards. I have not yet received a copy of the results though I do remember that Col. Diamond did quite well. Following a quick lunch the men and I took part in the long range pistol which was very similar to the long range rifle match though at shorter range. While my spirit was willing my flesh was weak and I found it necessary to retreat to the Garnett Inn for some much needed rest. This; unfortunately necessitates other participants reporting on the Expansion Era Match as well as the rest of the other side matches.

The evening found the Col.’s lady and I enjoying the most congenial company of Col. Rattlesnake Jack and his batman Roger. At the Col.’s request Cathy and I joined the Canadian contingent at a local eatery where we were entertained by the amusing stories imparted by The Col.’s batman. While the company was good it was deemed best to retire early and restore ourselves in preparation of Saturday’s engagement.
Saturday morning the men breakfasted on a hearty breakfast that Buck had prepared.
 Operations recommenced with the Main Match. The Match featured scenarios written in the annals of historic military action. Here I’d like to mention some quite unusual self-resetting knock down targets. These targets, were counterbalanced in such a way that when knocked down these silhouette targets would stand back up. While these targets were found to be a little light when exposed to sustained rifle fire, I took special notice of these as I’d like to find a way to apply this design to the Blunt Silhouette targets employed at the Department of Missouri Muster.
Our neighbor from the North is well known for the target killing power of his 577-450 Martini-Henry, but it should be noted that I was able to uphold the American Military’s honor by knocking down just as many targets with my .50-70 Remington Rolling Block.  

Following an outstanding lunch of stew the group finished all the stages but two. This was accomplished in plenty of time for the ladies and gentlemen of the command to return to their quarters and prepare for the Saturday evening banquet.
 Buck’s Roast Pork was found to be quite wonderful. The Ladies were simply stunning in their best gowns and men of the command were quite resplendent in their dress uniforms. In this arena I came up a little short when compared to the outstand uniforms Her Majesty the Queen provides her soldiers from North of the Medicine Line. Of course I came up short in stature as well when compared to Col. Rattlesnake.

At the conclusion of the banquet a Staff Officer meeting was held. All Headquarters and Departmental staff officers that were present were in attendance. While Lt. Col. Windy City Joe did a quite nice job in preparing an enjoyable Muster for us, he had earlier informed me that he would be unable to do so again in 2012. The Texas contingent was consulted as to the ability of the Division of Texas to again host the Grand Muster. While Cowtown Scout did not rule out the possibility at some point in the future, he stated that to the best of his knowledge Texas would again be unable to host in 2012. Following an extended discussion in which I offered the use of my facility with the caveat that the dates would have to be changed to the summer, It was deemed best to ask other members of the KVC to host the 2012 Grand Muster. Trap and Books O’Toole stated that they believed that this was possible but stated the need to discuss it this coming weekend with the rest of the KVC board. They also stated that if this were to occur, it would be necessary to move the Muster to the 1st weekend of October. The consensus was to pursue this avenue.

Sunday morning the final two stages were shot. While the command dined on lunch, scores were totaled and several races were quite close, including 2 in which I eventually prevailed.

Attendance was among the best the Grand Muster has seen and the competition was spirited.

Here I should thank a number of people: Division of Kansas Commander Lt. Col. Windy City Joe. Had it not been for the Colonel’s effort the Muster would not have taken place. The Kansas Vigilance Committee and Gerrad Wright for the use of their range and Lt. Col. Dusty Tagalon for printing the winners certificates. Thank you all!
Photos and results will follow.
Post Script:
I would like to point out that Mil-spec category contestants out numbered civilian participants 15-12
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: 2011 Grand Muster After Action Report
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 10:11:34 PM »

Offline Windy City Joe

• If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Results from the 2011 Grand Muster
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 05:09:37 PM »
Results from the 2011 Grand Muster
25 shooters shot in 10 difference categories. Temperature was in the upper sixty’s during the day and was cold when the sun went down.
All targets that were hit counted as one point, the only time that time was consider was if two shooter in the same class had the same number of hits. This match was based on accurate shooting.
Friday started out with 13 shooters for the long range rifle match, targets were between 50 – 208 yards.

In the Mil-spec smokeless class:
Col Diamond 1st with 9 hits
Cowtown Scout 2nd with 7 hits
Pitspitr 3rd with 6 hits

In the Mil-spec single shot smokeless class:
Gerad Wight 1st with 8 hits (shooting off hand)
C.O. Jones 2nd with 5 hits
Pitspitr 3rd with 4 hits

Lever action black powder
Schnickelfritz 1st with 5 hits

14 shooters were on hand for the long range rifle match, targets were between 30 – 75 yards.
Black powder: Montgomery Little 1st with 9 hits
Smokeless: Col Diamond 1st with 8 hits

We did five side matches on Friday afternoon. The first was a metallic target at 15 yards in the shape of a Texas star. It had five 8” round circles for the targets. The idea is to shoot all five circles, however when you hit one of the circles the star begins to spin. So now you are trying to hit a moving target. Also we had a cowboy silhouette that you had to shoot his hat off and then re-set it (his hat) by shooting at the center of the target. Wimp loads would not re-set his hat.  Next were a paper bullseye and another paper target with five stars on it, both at 10 yards. The last was an Ace of Spades at 5 yards, you had to remove as much of the center spade as possible.
After this side match all scores were totaled up:
Schnickelfritz 1st with 94 points
Rattlesnake Jack 2nd with 90 points
Col Diamond 3rd with 87 points

Late on Friday afternoon we started what we call “Trail Walk” as the Era of Expansion Match. We had only six shooters for this match.
Col Diamond, Mil-spec S/L with 202 points
Schnickelfritz, Lever action B/P with 177 points
Cowtown Scout, Mil-spec S/L with 140 points   also 1st place in Field Uniform
Cha-Du-Ba Itsiadan, Mil-spec S/L with 105 points
Rattlesnake Jack, Mil-spec Single shot with 84 points   also 2nd place in Field Uniform
Gerad Wight, Mil-spec Single shot with 64 points

Saturday we started the main match, three stages before lunch and three after, Sunday there were two more stages.

Forager Black Powder:
   Mushy Mcnut with 73 points

Hunter Smokeless:
   Gerad Wight with 88 points

Ladies Scout Smokeless:
   Michele Torrence with 108 points
   Megan O’Ruckus with 95 points

Mil-Spec Rep Black Powder:
   Windy City Joe with 78 points

Mil-Spec Rep Smokeless:
   Col Diamond with 124 points
   Cowtown Scout with 115 points
   Pony Express with 111 points

Mil-Spec Single Shot Black Powder:
   John Torrence with 100 points
   Rattlesnake Jack with 93 points
   Cha-Du-Ba Itsiadan with 61 points

Mil-Spec Single Shot Smokeless:
   Pitspitr with 91 points
   C.O. Jones with 91 points (was shooting all week-end long with two broken ribs)
   Wooly Dan with 78 points

Scout Black Powder:
   Schnickelfritz with 124 points
   Duck Creek Dave with 112 points
   River City John with 106 points

Scout Smokeless:
   Chain Blue with 118 points
   Guns Garrett with 117 points
Cpl Bogear with 95 points

Staff Officer Black Powder:
   Books O’Toole with 63 points
   Montgomery Little with 55 points

The Iron Trooper award went to Pitspitr.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:06:53 AM »

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
Re: Results from the 2011 Grand Muster
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 12:05:17 PM »

Now there is an Iron Trooper.  Well done.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Windy City Joe

• If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 07:59:52 AM »
Group photo of the two posses Saturday night before the banquet

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 09:40:46 AM »
Now there is an Iron Trooper.  Well done
Absolutedly! Congratulations Major! You proved that you have some Major C.O.JONES. ;) I hope you're starting to feel better!

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 11:08:06 AM »
Anybody get any good pictures?

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 03:33:28 PM »
Unfortunately my batman, Roger, managed to lose his camera during the trip home ..... so the photos I'd normally have from him are not available .....   >:(

However, his batteries had died on Sunday morning after which he used my camera, so I do have some images from then .... in addition to a couple of photos I got Col. Drydock to take of me in my Expansion Era (Boer War, Canadian Mounted Rifles) kit on Friday evening -

A wayward Foreign Legionnaire ..... with "friend" -

Several happy Muster participants -

Seeking elusive brass on "The Last Lion" stage -

Megan O'Ruckus givin' 'em what for ....

Filling in as Squad Scribe -

The lovely and talented Michelle, our usual Scribe, with her significant other timing in the background - -

Megan, Col. Pitspitr's Lady, and The Man Himself, enjoying the morning -

Chaplain Little, shooting in Staff Officer class ..... apparently men of the cloth don't have to dress up much .... ;)   -

Two rather more nattily attired American personnel, apparently engrossed in a discussion of their respective ensembles ....

Col. Drydock at the line -

Col. Pitspitr at the line -

Col. Diamond at the line -

Convinced that the newfangled smokeless-burning bolt-action repeaters are but a passing fad (despite their apparent popularity with the Yanks) a lowly Gunner of the Regiment of Canadian Artillery approaches the line with a Real Rifle, then loads and shoots with Real Gunpowder -

Following all that exhausting Real Activity, the Gunner partakes of some obviously unnecessary Field Rations -

A Veteran Scout, also shooting Real Gunpowder -

Patiently awaiting the awards -

The Really Big Moment -

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 04:51:33 PM »
These are some excellent reports and photographs.

The excellent uniforms make me wonder what were the results for the Field and Dress Uniform competitions, especially as these are components of the Iron Trooper Award.

Names of the winners plus the winning uniform?

US Scout
GAF, Commanding

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2011, 05:26:30 PM »
FIeld uniform:

1st- Cowtown scout with an excellent M1884 fatigue uniform, what set it apart was that ALL of his accoutrements (Mills belt, canteen, knapsack, etc) were ORGINAL ISSUE, not reproductions!  

2nd- Lt Col. Drydock, with a complete and correct M1898 1st issue undress/field kahki uniform.  All reproduction unfortunatly  ;)

3rd- Guns Garret, with a great 1880s Marine uniform.

Dress:

1st- Rattlesnake Jack (You were expecting someone else?)  with his beautiful Highlander dress uniform

2nd- Col. Pitspiter  with his 1870s US infantry dress uniform complete with headgear as required by local regulation.  (I'll let him explain that!)

3rd- Wooley Dan and his Mexican war uniform, well done and not often seen in our mileau!
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 06:03:11 PM »
Thank you for the excellent reports, gentelman.   I was awaiting these all week.  Thank you also for the great pictures.  I sure am sorry I couldn't be there but am already looking forward to next year.  I'd love to hear more about the hit points scoring system.  Great job and congradulations to all the winners and every participant becaise just being there is a challange and accomplishment.  It makes me proud to be a part of GAF.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 10:00:38 PM »
Additionally Mushy McNutt won Male Civilian and Megan O"Rucus won Female Civilian in the clothing contest.

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 09:54:54 PM »
Jack, you do have a way with a caption!   ;D
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 10:32:13 AM »
Still anxiously awaiting the posting of photos by others .......  What I have posted is basically all I have, in view of Roger's loss of his camera on our trip back.

Cowtown Scout, I seem to recall you saying that you had lots of photos to get uploaded (although that post has apparently gone AWOL during the Topic Split.)    So ..... are you out on a scout, or busy in one of the less savoury establishments in Cowtown, or what? 
;)   ;D
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Cowtown Scout

• Top Active Citizen
  • TEXAS By GOD
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 09:08:07 PM »
Finally got the photos edited, upoaded on photo bucket and titled.  I had to redo it a couple times.  Here is a link to the 88 photos (that is if it works) http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh56/cowtownscout/2011%20GAF%20Grand%20Miuster/  I suggest you view it as a slide show.  There is another album from last years muster if you wish to see it also.
Scout

8) 8)
GAF #510, STORM #98, GOFWG #126, SSS #211, SBSS #1713, CVV
Life Member: SASS, LSA, ORA, Whittington Center, LSFSC, Founders Club (Gold)
Benefactor Member: NRA and TSRA, Past President TSRA

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 12:10:10 AM »
Great photos, Sir!  Thank you .....   ;D

Offline Cactus Rope

• Cactus Rope
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 09:18:21 PM »
+10 on the photos Scout! Thanks for sharing.
NRA * GAF * NCOWS *

"Every oncet in a while, you have to step in it to learn the lesson."

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 10:00:18 AM »
Great photos of the "Miuster" ;D

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 12:12:01 PM »
Well done, Cowtown Scout!

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Charles Isaac

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2011, 01:19:33 PM »
Amen on the nice photo's-they are outstanding! Those firing lanes do look like they were some fun and realistic shooting action-wish I had been able to make it this year, but I do feel compelled to say that my recruiter never told me I would need a set of some really cool shades.............man :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com