Author Topic: 45LC...Light Bullets......What are you using?  (Read 4873 times)

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
45LC...Light Bullets......What are you using?
« on: October 25, 2011, 08:47:25 AM »
I've been shooting 250g Lee #90349 that I'm casting with Wheel Weights out of a 6-cavity mold.

I see lots of folks are using much lighter bullets. I just ordered the Lee 200g #90697

And I see they even offer a 160g bullet mold...

What are folks using? Are you casting your own or buying them. Are Wheel Weight leads ok?

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: 45LC...Light Bullets......What are you using?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 01:11:06 PM »
I shoot Big lubes for CAS 250g. In my 92 for longer range I use the LEE 250g mold. I use pure lead with 5-6 oz of wheel weights for every 10 lbs of lead. I haven't tried the lighter (160g) molds yet but I probably will in my Walkers.  I shoot BP and I do like the smoke-boom-clang. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Foothills

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
Howdy......
I use 255gr. BEAR CREEK MOLY LUBED bullets.
I been usin em sense 1999.

Vern / Foothills...

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:54:06 AM »

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 07:44:36 PM »
I hear lots of folks in CAS using Moly Lubed bullets. But ove on the cast bullet forum you can get in lots of trouble for just mentioning Moly Lube..........

Unless I'm mistaken and you are not referring to a Moly coating like we use with jacketed bullets in Benchrest type shooting?
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Foothills

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 04:04:38 AM »
I hear lots of folks in CAS using Moly Lubed bullets. But ove on the cast bullet forum you can get in lots of trouble for just mentioning Moly Lube..........

Unless I'm mistaken and you are not referring to a Moly coating like we use with jacketed bullets in Benchrest type shooting?

Howdy......
MOLY COATED.

Vern / Foothills...

Offline dangerranger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 11:00:49 PM »
I just made up my first batch of 160gr bullits. they shot and cycled fine through my marlin rifle. in the pistol they felt like I was shooting 38s.  I cast them out of 5 lbs ww and 1/4 lb of tin solder. and lubed them with Lee liquid allox. after shooting 50 through the rifle and 25 ea through the pistols I found no leading. DR
Life is a rush into the unknown, You can duck down real low and hope nothing hits you, Or stand up tall, show it your teeth,and say "Dish it up Baby and dont get stingy with the Peppers!!!"

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 05:00:10 PM »
Try these guys for some very good wax/gease lubed cast bullets. They are very economical, high quality and very fast service. I've been using them for years and have never found a klinker in the many batches that I have gotten from them.

http://www.missouribullet.com/index.php
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2011, 06:10:17 PM »
I know Missouri Bullets. Great products from nice folks............But I started casting my own a few months ago and I love doing it. Something to do on a cold winters night...........

On Saturday I cast 500 250g and 700 200g bullets with the LEE 6-cavity molds.

I had two casting pots and both molds going at the same time. As one mold cools down a bit (so I don't get frosty bullets) I pour the other. I run two casting pots so i don't have to wait while ingots are melting. Once you get the rhythm down the bullets just start flying!
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline dangerranger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 11:50:44 PM »
I prefer frosted bullits. It seems to make them seem harder and to hold the lube better. DR
Life is a rush into the unknown, You can duck down real low and hope nothing hits you, Or stand up tall, show it your teeth,and say "Dish it up Baby and dont get stingy with the Peppers!!!"

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 11:22:36 AM »
Been using 200g bullets since I started. Several vendors over the years, best quality has been Sundance( are they still operating under that name? used to be Bonus) and Penn...........Buck ::) :o
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Matthew Duncan

• Cutter’s Raiders# 13
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 23189
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 03:33:18 PM »
250 grain casted from wheel weighs (when I can get the wheel weights for free).  Otherwise 250 grain store bought.

Major General J.E.B. Stuart's Division
Captain 1st Maryland Artillery, C.S.A.
SASS# 23189

Disclaimer:  I have not slept in any hotel recently, not a certified CAS rule web lawyer.  Have not attended any RO III or RO VI classes.  Opinions expressed are by a cowpoke who believes the year is 1868.

Offline Big T

• Big "T"
  • Top Active Citizen
  • www.tbarkcustomknives.com
    • T bar K Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 04:10:19 PM »
I like the 200 gr rnfp cause i load the same for my 45 acp , they work well with less recoil for me , t
Tank & Kathy ,T bar k Custom knives

God Bless All to their Own Standards Accordingly thru Jesus Christ !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com