Author Topic: '76 Beginner, need advice  (Read 3578 times)

Offline Carr Creek Kid

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
'76 Beginner, need advice
« on: October 19, 2011, 12:22:29 PM »
Hey Fellers, new to the '76 and I've been doing some research on here. I took a chance and put a NWMP chappy in 45-75 on order (crossing my fingers it's not a lemon). I've heard good things and bad things, so hopefully I have some good things to say. I like to tinker with things anyway so if something isn't up to par I can make a project out of it. I just hope I don't get a cloud of metal shavings that explode in my face when I open the sideplate  :P Anyway, I was planning on refinishing the stock whether I got a Uberti or Chaparral. Any advice from you guys that have redone an oil finish on your stock? And have any of you used the Lee .457 340 grain mold with any success?  I've seen some stuff about the lyman and rcbs but not too much about lee molds. I plan on getting the Lee die set and some Jamison brass really soon. Hope to get this rolling before deer season here in Missouri!!
Thanks Guys
Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box.

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: '76 Beginner, need advice
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 02:59:10 PM »
I can't say anything good or bad about the NWMP carbine either for Chapparal or Uberti as my rifle is a very early Uberti with the larger chamber.  As I understand it now the chambers are all emulations of the original ones.  As far as bullets are concerned, until I got my Hoch custom mold, I had quite good luck with Buff Arms 350 grain bullet.  Now what i am using in conjunction with my custom mold are bullets that I cast using an alloy of 16:1 which is what the originals used.  I make my own alloy.  As far as powder is concerned, In using BP, I really like Swiss 1½ as do others that I have talked to.  It burns cleaner than the other brands.

As far as the stock work is concerned, I did scrape off the original finish without sanding the wood and then hand-rubbed an oil finish that turned out quite well.  I also stained the wood prior to the final finish to darken the wood and bring out the grain better.

As far as dies are concerned, I am using Lee dies that include a Factory crimp die along with a special order Trim and File die from RCBS.  If you were to check with other places like Redding or Hornady you may be lucky and get a T&F die cheaper from one of them.

As far as brass is concerned, I have used Bertram(stay way from that as it is too $$$), I have used 348 brass which is tough and great once it is prepared, and Starline 50-90 brass which is good also but the best is Jamison brass.  It comes all ready to go and is even head-stamped with "45-75WCF" on the case head.

As far as the rifle itself is concerned, I had a verry bad experience with the Chappy people and got a Uberti instead which, as far as I am concerned, is IT!

Hope these comments have been of some small help for you.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline Carr Creek Kid

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 01:36:22 PM »
I appreciate all the good info sir. I hope my rifle doesn't turn out too bad! I'm kinda nervous now. I spent good money on a Taylor's Henry that really didn't live up to what I thought it was going to be. Then on the other hand I have a Puma '92 that may not be real pretty, but as far as fit and function go its every bit as good. So I figured I'd take my chance on another cheaper gun. I've read about some problems with the chappies on here. What happened with your rifle? How did you take the original finish off of your stock without sanding? Did you use steel wool? And what type of stain/oil did you use? I'm just kind of curious as to what would give the best looking end result. Sorry for so many questions!! And thanks again
Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:19:09 PM »

Offline larryo_1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 02:58:26 PM »
Well my problems with Chapparal also involved UPS so it is a rather long and involved story that I shall abstain from telling it  Never-the-less I really like my Uberti so enough said!  As far as the stock work is concerned, I used a plastic scrapper only.  I did not use any sand paper nor did I use any steel wool which would imbed tiny pieces of metal in the wood.  As far as the actual finish was concerned, I used --on my rifle--two coats of  "Fiebings Leather Dye" in Dark Brown  and then 5 coats of hand-rubbed linseed oil for the final Finish followed up by a hand-rubbed coat of Tung Oil.  The reason I did this is because linseed oil will water stain and Tung oil will not.  I have an old flintlock rifle that years ago when I was younger and dumber, I finished it with just linseed oil and it did water stain.  A top coat of Tung oil apparently don't let this happen.  As I understand it, there were enough complaints wilth Chapparal that they seem to have their act together now so i don't think that you would run into any problems.  My problems were over 4 years ago.
When in doubt, mumble!
NRA Endowment member

Offline Skyrider

• Very Active Citizen
  • Thank A VET For Your FREEDOM!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 09:33:06 PM »
Fellar's I been eyeballin that 1876 for about 6 months now and it hurts me to say I just got to wait till after Christmas (my wife's orders) but I am going to get a Uberti model 1876 in the 50-95, so I can run with the Big Dogs gents. ;D  8)
IRISH MIKE

Offline Carr Creek Kid

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 03:43:33 PM »
Those are the big dogs!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com