Author Topic: Survey......What SXS are you using?  (Read 24367 times)

Offline Matthew Duncan

• Cutter’s Raiders# 13
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 23189
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Survey......What SXS are you using?
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2011, 08:53:19 PM »
TTN 12 ga SxS.
Major General J.E.B. Stuart's Division
Captain 1st Maryland Artillery, C.S.A.
SASS# 23189

Disclaimer:  I have not slept in any hotel recently, not a certified CAS rule web lawyer.  Have not attended any RO III or RO VI classes.  Opinions expressed are by a cowpoke who believes the year is 1868.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2011, 05:01:10 PM »
Baikal Bounty Hunter Circa 1995.
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2011, 11:10:30 AM »
Remington 'Flues' 12 ga M & F, 30" barrels, circa 1911.

This gun will NEVER be mutilated to a 'coach gun'!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 06:30:44 PM »

Offline Philly Slim

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2011, 04:14:33 PM »
Many folks own multiple, inexpensive shotguns. Seems well under $500 is the going price. Folks will spend over $1000 on a revolver or a rifle, but not see the need to spend much over $350 for a SG.............

I was fighting with a Stoeger for the first two years I was in SASS until somebody pointed out this exact contradiction.  He said; "You've got over a thousand dollars wrapped up in that pair of race pistols, another thousand plus in that race rifle, why on Earth are you skimping on fully 1/4 of your match guns???

That same weekend I bought a Johnny Meadows modified SKB Model 200.  The shotgun instantly went from being my worst gun to my best.
Is it just me or, do Buffalo Wings taste like chicken?

Offline Modoc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Editor, Shasta Regulators State of Jefferson
    • Shasta Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2012, 09:29:22 PM »
R,

Had to update, I sold one of the Rossis to a Jr. And happened to pick up a CZ Golden Pheasant in 20 ga.  Now that is a sweet little shotgun, but list is $1000 US  :o. Love it, and it does Pheasants, trap and skeet too ;D
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Offline hammer1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2012, 08:40:36 AM »
Just bought a CZ Hammer Classic, exposed hammers, 30 inch barrels, came with 5 chokes. I dont compete, its  gonna be a huntin gun

Offline Four Eyes Henry

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2012, 02:07:18 PM »
I've retired my 115 year old Webley and son, bought me a Baikal MP 43  ;D
Put a recoilpad on it and did some trapshooting with it, went fairly good  :D
Waiting for Papa Dave's cocking levers  :D and next week lots of action at the Philippsburg Star (open German Championship)
http://www.bds-western-schiessen.de/
DWSA #102
SASS  #16042
BDS    #2197

He will come to your house carrying a sixpack of goodwill and joy. The Reverend Horton Heat

http://www.youtube.com/user/foureyeshenry1

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2012, 08:48:08 PM »
I'm glad to see so many Savage 311 shotguns. I bought one in 20ga last year for $100 to convert into a double rifle (30-30). But I took it to the range to function fire it and the darn thing fit me like a glove! I never had a SG that pointed so naturally. So I cleaned it up and bought new wood for it. It came out beautiful and is one of my favorite shotguns.

I still wanted a "cheap" double rifle to play around with and to use on dangerous charging paper plates! So I bought this:

Its in 45-70 and I spent a ton of time getting the inserts regulated and I drilled and tapped it for express type sights. I don't want to take it apart for this new game as I have it working perfectly in its current configuration.

You can see more of it here:
http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/things-that-go-bang/eaa-baikal-bounty-h/

Today I picked up a Norinco 97 because I simply couldn't resist. Brand new for $300. And here in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts these things are rare as hens teeth. So I was shocked when I walked into the gunshop near work and it was on the wall. If I bought on online and after paying shipping and tranfer fees, I'd be upwards of $450.

I'm going to have lots of fun practicing with both of these smooth bores to see which one I become most proficient with.

But lets keep the survey going as it interests me to no end to see what folks are using.

Thanks

Off topic but please PM me or post a new tread telling about the 45-70 inserts. I would be interested in them for my Liberty(now CZ)  if it would work.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline pmazan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2012, 08:19:28 PM »
It's hard to tell what I'll show up with. I have shot a Stevens 311, A Parker Trojan, L.C. Smith Hammer gun, Rossi hammer gun, An English Hammer gun, but mostly a Remington 1894 hammergun with the barrels cut to 22 inches. I have a French , another English Hammergun and an American Gun Co, hammergun that I havn't shot in SASS yet.

Bugs

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2012, 01:34:57 AM »
Hi,

I started off with a Baikal Bounty Hunter 12 ga. I sent it to a gunsmith with a good name who. after keeping it for a year, offered to sell me  a new shotgun!

Go figure!

In the meantime, I waited several months to get my Cap Coyote/Norinco Model 87/12 ga./20 in barrel. I also bought a Stoeger Uplander SXS/12 ga./30 in barrel, but have not used it since I got the Cap Coyote model ...

Come to think of it, anyone interested in an Uplander?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2012, 10:28:37 AM »
Ithaca 'Flues' circa (1911) 12 ga, 30" M&F - beautiful gun! Splinter forestock. Gets warm with BP.

Just bought a Stoeger 20 gs 26" 'Uplander for my wife and I liked it so much, I bought one in 12 ga (28") for myself. Hers needed some work, mine was great out-of-the-box. Beavertail forestock - no 'Owey' with BP.  Now my Ithaca gets a little break.

We both have '97s, but prefer our SxS's.  One of our pals has a 16 ga Belgian under-lever hammer gun he picked up for a song. It needed a little work, but what a sweet heart of a gun! No wood forestock, so the barrels get a might warmish with BP!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2012, 06:20:08 PM »
I am using a Coach gun made by a Chinese company and imported by Century Arms. It's in 20 guage and has exposed hammers. I've been using it for NCOWS shoots for a couple years now. I like how it shoots. It's very reliable and well made. My wife bought it for me for Christmas a few years ago from Dunhams Sporting goods here in Des Moines. It's a well made gun. The butt has a metal plate on the end and not a rubber butt pad or anything not period correct.

The cost was around $250.00. If you're looking for a well made SXS with exposed hammers this would be a good choice. I know Dunhams had some a few weeks ago when I was there for the same price.

Here is a picture from an on line ad showing the gun.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com