Poll

Do you think we should restructure our shooting classes?

Yes
No
Do Not Care

Author Topic: To restructure or not to restructure - that IS the question  (Read 66042 times)

lethallarry

Re: To restructure or not to restructure - that IS the question
« Reply #200 on: February 13, 2012, 09:18:05 AM »
As an elected member of NCOWS as a whole, I do want to offer this viewpoint:

NCOWS is many things to many people.  For many, it is a shooting organization.  For some, it is a place to exchange historical footnotes.  Some use it as an avenue to reenacting.  A small, but vocal percentage of our membership trade ideas here, on this forum.  A much larger group exists out there who do not roam this vast "Internet range".  For that group, our publication is their source of connection to the organization. 

We also have a sizable membership who do not live within a reasonable distance to attend local, regional, or national gatherings.  For that group, the periodical is their only contact with the organization. 

We all recognize that our periodical is our "crown jewel".   We all understand the financial, logistic, and manpower challenges we have with the Shootist.   If a restructure of our periodical becomes a legislative item, please keep these thoughts in mind.   

Pancho, I agree with you 100% about how NCOWS appeals to folks for different reasons.  A "one size fits all" mindset will not work well, in my opinion. I am sure that there are many who are members of NCOWS that have no nearby posse to go to and the magazine is the only connection they might have with NCOWS. I would hateto see the magazine go away.

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #201 on: February 13, 2012, 09:48:22 AM »
Range Detective is a class where 2 NCOWS legal revolvers and an NCOWS legal rifle are used. No shotgun. And I want to stress that all ranges are going to be different in what is going to be the most popular class.
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #202 on: February 13, 2012, 11:34:17 AM »
Range Detective is a class where 2 NCOWS legal revolvers and an NCOWS legal rifle are used. No shotgun. And I want to stress that all ranges are going to be different in what is going to be the most popular class.

Thanks and don't see it in most places with more shooters than Cowboy though.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Advertising

« Reply #203 on: Today at 09:02:27 AM »

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #203 on: February 13, 2012, 11:44:59 AM »
Quick Fire, That is the class the folks at Col. Bishops's Renegades (West Side) have asked for. More of them have told me they like working cowboy, but wish they could shoot two handguns. They don't like shooting the shotgun for many reasons. Tj
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Cash Creek

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • In GOD we trust..all others cash only..
  • Liked:
« Reply #204 on: February 13, 2012, 12:56:40 PM »
I shoot Working Cowboy because I don't want to shoot a shotgun 2 NCOWS legal revolvers and an NCOWS legal rifle would be great class I think we would find there a lot more like me out there..CC
Hiram Ranger #100, Westside Sportsmen Club, NCOWS 3395, SASS 90169, NRA, Col. Bishop's Renegades... Cowgirls are like barbed wire…handle with care.

Offline Quick Fire

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #205 on: February 13, 2012, 01:33:24 PM »
We started shooting Range Detective three or four years ago and it quickly became one of the most popular classes. We do break it down for black powder or smokeless.
QuickFire                                 Lt. Colonel, Division of Nebraska                                                                                                                                                                          GRAND ARMY of the FRONTIER                                                         
NCOWS 1717

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #206 on: February 13, 2012, 06:27:22 PM »
Thanks and don't see it in most places with more shooters than Cowboy though.

Joe, I bet you'd be surprised at how many folks would like to shoot two revolvers without messing with a shotgun. This class draws folks from not only working cowboy but from the other classes as well as it is in between.

It's one of the classes JCR voted to try this year.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #207 on: February 14, 2012, 08:29:28 AM »
Joe, I bet you'd be surprised at how many folks would like to shoot two revolvers without messing with a shotgun. This class draws folks from not only working cowboy but from the other classes as well as it is in between.

It's one of the classes JCR voted to try this year.

You really aren't a fan of shot guns are you Cliff.  ;D
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline jefff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #208 on: February 14, 2012, 09:24:05 AM »
You really aren't a fan of shot guns are you Cliff.  ;D
joe you have more choices of shooting in classes that require a shotgun at jcr than any other.i don't know what your concerns are to be honest.if you want call me at859-985-3232 day or pm me your # and will call you.jefff

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #209 on: February 14, 2012, 03:55:22 PM »
You really aren't a fan of shot guns are you Cliff.  ;D

I love shotguns.....for wing shooting, waterfowl, and turkeys.  ;D

They are probably the best choice for a home protection gun and very historically accurate for use in our classes although I don't feel shooting both a shotgun and rifle is very historically accurate, still that is not my main reason for not shooting one.

I don't think I'm alone in not being turned on by shooting stationary steel targets from a few feet away with a shotgun. Probably for the same reason a shotgun makes a good home defense gun, its kind of hard to miss unless you are playing some kind of crazy speed game. In other words I see no challenge in shooting the shotgun at steel plates other than speed which just doesn't do anything for me.

Johnson County Rangers

1961MJS

« Reply #210 on: February 16, 2012, 09:56:27 AM »
I don't think I'm alone in not being turned on by shooting stationary steel targets from a few feet away with a shotgun. Probably for the same reason a shotgun makes a good home defense gun, its kind of hard to miss unless you are playing some kind of crazy speed game. In other words I see no challenge in shooting the shotgun at steel plates other than speed which just doesn't do anything for me.

Hi Cliff

The reasoning behind my wanting to shoot shogun is primarily because they're less expensive, and because a hammered double barrel is something I think I'd like even if I try NCOWS and then decide I hate cowboy action shooting. 

I would suggest that moving the targets out would make for a more interesting shoot. 

Just my $0.02 and worth every dollar...    ;D

Mike
Wichita KS

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #211 on: February 16, 2012, 10:27:21 AM »
1961MJS:  I love my hammer guns.  I shoot Trap with one from time to time.   32" barrel with Full and Fuller chokes are a little hard on phesants. 
T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #212 on: February 16, 2012, 10:58:18 AM »
joe you have more choices of shooting in classes that require a shotgun at jcr than any other.i don't know what your concerns are to be honest.if you want call me at859-985-3232 day or pm me your # and will call you.jefff

I have no concerns Jeff just messing with Cliff a bit.  ;D

I would like to see the 1 pistol shot gun class but none of the classes are a game breaker with me to be honest. I'll shoot what is available regardless. I do prefer the 2 gun classes to more guns as I don't like cleaning a lot of guns when I get home from a meet is all. I have guns the guns that I could cover any class but cap & ball regardless.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #213 on: February 16, 2012, 12:46:43 PM »
Hi Cliff

The reasoning behind my wanting to shoot shogun is primarily because they're less expensive, and because a hammered double barrel is something I think I'd like even if I try NCOWS and then decide I hate cowboy action shooting. 

I would suggest that moving the targets out would make for a more interesting shoot. 

Just my $0.02 and worth every dollar...    ;D

Mike
Wichita KS

Moving targets would be a lot of fun but a lot of work building. I needed a shotgun on the man running away from the gallows last year at the Nationals  ;D

Johnson County Rangers

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #214 on: February 16, 2012, 01:08:43 PM »
Moving targets would be a lot of fun but a lot of work building. I needed a shotgun on the man running away from the gallows last year at the Nationals  ;D

How about something like http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Shooting-Accessories/Clay-Shooting%7C/pc/104792580/c/104769180/sc/104269680/Do-All-Full-Cock-Competitor-Trap/707313.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-shooting-accessories-clay-shooting%2F_%2FN-1100229&WTz_l=SEO%3Bcat104269680 I've done this in the past and it is fun as well as challanging.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #215 on: February 16, 2012, 01:20:36 PM »

Cliff,

You'll need to come and shoot at the Texas Peacemaker range sometime.  They've got a line shack with a "running man" target on a 60 yard zip line.  The target is a man-size steel silhouette on a pully.  At release, he glides diagonally downrange across the target array and downhill into a creek.  He gains speed as he goes.  They have a big truck tire that stops him and a hand crank winch to reel him back in. 

One of the funnest rifle and pistol targets I've shot at.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Tjackstephens

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #216 on: February 16, 2012, 03:45:44 PM »
West Side tells me the gallows is being rebuilt and moved to another part of cowboy town. The bad news, no more running man. I sure loved that stage. Tj

Just got an e-mail from Cash Creek, the running cowboy may be back for the National. Tj :D
Texas Jack Stephens:   NRA, NCOWS #2312,  SASS # 12303, Hiram's Ranger #22,  GAF #641, USFA-CSS # 185, BOSS# 174,  Hartford Lodge 675, Johnson County Rangers,  Green River Gunslingers, Col. Bishop's Renegades, Kentucky Col.

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #217 on: February 16, 2012, 11:01:01 PM »
Now that is one stage I would like to use a shotgun on, that is an elusive rascal. ;D

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Cole Bluesteele

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #218 on: February 17, 2012, 12:37:52 PM »
At the Sharpshooters we have a couple of knockdown targets that release a bird when they fall.  Also have a couple of poppers that throw a can when hit.  These are a whole lot better than stationary targets for the shotgun fans.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
« Reply #219 on: February 17, 2012, 02:42:22 PM »
I posted an arial of our range...note the Action ranges bays just over the 20' berm in the 300meter range.

We never schedule the two Disciplines hot in the same weekend, but we have a standing rule anyway , a shot over any berm will
get you a match DQ.

That said, Obviously we can not use anything that would pop UP ....I'm working on a spinner and have made several horzonial swing
targets....
when planets align...do the deal !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com