Author Topic: Ruger Vaquero 4 5/8 vs 5 1/2  (Read 18710 times)

Offline airbman21

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ruger Vaquero 4 5/8 vs 5 1/2
« on: July 19, 2011, 05:44:11 PM »
I have been driving myself crazy for months. Im looking for 357 new vaquero in either 4 5/8 or 5 1/2. I have held the LC version in 5 1/2 and the 357 in 4 5/8. I did not want to make up my mind on that alone because i know the longer barreled version in 357 will be even more nose heavy than the LC version i held. This gun will be shooting lots of 38 special out in the desert. Its going to be a plinker that i will hopefully put lots of rounds through. Everyone says they feel the 4 3/4 is more balanced in the hand but most people i talk to shoot more accurately with the 5.5. For a fun gun that will be used to flip around a bit and target shoot some beer cans with, what would you folks suggest and why? Hopefully this thread can make the decision easier for those who run into the same dilemma as me in the future.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 166
Re: Ruger Vaquero 4 5/8 vs 5 1/2
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 05:34:01 AM »
I have one of each barrel length in 45 Colt. The 5 1/2 seems easier ta shoot with the left hand when I shoot 35g of Bp. If I had it ta do over I'd still buy one of each. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 01:03:43 PM »
That's only 7/8" difference.  Nothing magic or noticeable as far as shooting or balance for guns in the same caliber.  There might be a difference in balance comparing a 4 5/8" .45 to a 5 1/2" .357.  There is a noticable difference in balance and handling between a 4 5/8" or 5 1/2" and the 7 1/2", but the difference between the short barrels is negligible.  What the choice boils down to more than anything is esthetics.  Some people love the 4 5/8" because they like the look of the barrel and ejector being the same length and think the 5 1/2" looks ugly and vice versa.  Pick what you like and you will have fun regardless of the minimal difference in barrel length.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:09:46 AM »

Offline airbman21

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 02:10:37 PM »
wish i could buy one of each wildman but im saving for a redhawk wheelgun for bear country. Petti, i wish i had the chance to handle or shoot both......anyone near vegas up for some shooting? ill buy the ammo! haha. I understand what you mean when you say the difference is negligible but i only want to have to make this choice once. I was just curious how much more accurately people shoot and how much different it feels when fired with the different lengths. Hopefully more folks can help me make up my mind

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 03:14:52 PM »
It was probably was my imagination but felt ta me like the 5 1/2 had less recoil in the left hand. I couldn't tell the dif in the right hand. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 03:32:11 PM »
wish i could buy one of each wildman but im saving for a redhawk wheelgun for bear country. Petti, i wish i had the chance to handle or shoot both......anyone near vegas up for some shooting? ill buy the ammo! haha. I understand what you mean when you say the difference is negligible but i only want to have to make this choice once. I was just curious how much more accurately people shoot and how much different it feels when fired with the different lengths. Hopefully more folks can help me make up my mind

There are several SASS clubs around Vegas.  Two I can think of are at Boulder City and Pahrump.  I'm sure some of the shooters at those clubs would be glad to let you try their guns.  Again, the sight radius difference is only about the length of the front sight.  Not enough to worry about.  Accuracy has nothing to do with barrel length.  A 2" barreled gun will shoot as accurately as a 7 1/2".  The difference is the sight radius makes sight alignment less critical.  You won't be able to tell much, if any, difference in shooting a 4 5/8 and 5 1/2.  You would be able to tell a big difference if you wanted a Sheriff's model with a 3" barrel.  The short sight radius would make sight alignment more critical in order to get consistent hits.  The bottom line is that how something "feels" to different shooters is subjective and simply a matter of personal preference.  There are thousands of shooters that shoot both lengths and there ain't bug snots worth of difference in their scores.  What will have a bigger impact is grip shape.  A fat grip vs. a thin grip will have a marked difference in how the gun "feels" and how well YOU shoot it.

Offline airbman21

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 09:06:24 PM »
 "Accuracy has nothing to do with barrel length.  A 2" barreled gun will shoot as accurately as a 7 1/2".  The difference is the sight radius makes sight alignment less critical."

this is one of the first things i was taught as a kid. You put it as i should have. Ill have to try and get in contact with the CAS folks in boulder city then wont i? ;D

Offline LoneRider

• Top Active Citizen
  • Silver Screen Hero
    • LoneRider Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 09:21:22 PM »
I only shoot the 4 5/8' Quicker out of the holster and swinging from target to target IMHO.

Also, easier to "Twirl" ;D ::)
Happy Trails

Offline Dances With Coyotes

• Dark Lord of the Soot apprentice
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 10:32:31 PM »
The 5 &1/2's point better for me.....With the 4/34 it seems like I'm pointing at something with a closed fist and with the 5 1/2 it seems like I'm pointing with my finger.
All you need is love and a .45

Offline COLT_45_SAA

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 11:23:36 AM »
Although it's milla-seconds the Montado draws the fastest - ie the shorter the barrel the quicker to clear.

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 10:07:16 AM »
Although it's milla-seconds the Montado draws the fastest - ie the shorter the barrel the quicker to clear.
I am a big fan of the Montado and I don't even own a horse. Ruger knew what they were doing by making these things 3.75 in. rather than 3 or 3.5. The balance is just perfect and that lowered hammer completes the package. If I were ever to carry a single action for self defense, it would be the Montado.

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 06:28:39 PM »
My experience is that both barrel lengths come out of the holster as fast.  It's getting them back in the holster that advantages the shorter gun.  OTOH, the longer sight radius is an advantage.

Offline ArizonaSmith

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 03:01:09 PM »
I use both! I keep the 4 5/8 in my strong side holster because I wear it high and can clear it slightly better, and the 5 1/2 in my cross draw. The only real difference I notice between the two in in the action.

I have a matched set of the Montados as well. The balance is beautiful on those. I practice twirling them from time to time (unloaded of course!)
Never annoy what you can't outrun!
Born in Arizona, raised in Texas...now I'm in Ohio?

Offline Izzoquazzo

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 07:50:09 PM »
The 4 5/8" spins better ;D

Offline Danny Bear Claw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 07:23:43 PM »
I shoot barrel lengths from 3 inches to 7.5 inches.  For me, the longer the barrel, the easier it is to aim them.  My Rugers are a matched pair with 7.5s, (see the photo over there <------), a 5.5 inch Bisley type and a 3.75 inch birds head model.  All are 45 Colt caliber.  I don't twirl any of them.  Unless I am to appear in a wester movie that requires it, I don't see any reason to twirl them.

If you must walk in bear country and you're thinking about a RedHawk, may I suggest the Super Red Hawk Alaskan model in caliber 454, if it is still available.  It's heavy but easy to pack because of the 2.5 inch barrel and loaded with heavy loads, like those from Magtech, it'll drop any bear that walks the earth.  I am more concerned with two legged predators and my Alaskan mostly does duty as a home defense gun and I carry it in my truck.  Of course, I mostly load it with hot 45 Colt ammo for that purpose.  I like the 200 gr. JHP load and the 225 gr. solid copper DPX loads from Corbon.
SASS #5273 Life.   NRA Life member.  RATS # 136.   "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us".

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 05:54:47 PM »
I use both lengths in .45 and really don't notice much difference..........Buck ::)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline ChuteTheMall

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 06:33:52 PM »
Teddy Roosevelt wouldn't carry that ladies' sized snub nosed 4 5/8" abomination of a purse gun up San Juan Hill: 5 1/2" was the correct size for the Artillery Models (altered 7 1/2" models) that the Rough Riders carried. They were manly men.

Of course, Custer preferred the original 7 1/2" version;  that didn't end well.
Don't get one that long unless you need to overcompensate for something.

Get the 5 1/2" man sized version, and you can cut it down if it's too much for ya. ;)
That's easier than trying to stretch a shorter barrel when you outgrow it.

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 07:19:18 PM »
 Real men shoot Walkers with 9" barrels. WM

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 08:54:17 AM »
I have two of the Lipsey's .44 Special New Vaqueros.  One has a 4 5/" barrel, and the other a 3 3/4" barrel.  Both handle and shoot the same for me.  I changed out the NM Vaquero hammers for old Vaquero hammers...I actually like them better, but may be the only one who does!

Jake

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com