Author Topic: Best over the counter 223 ammo for whitetail deer  (Read 22071 times)

Offline Regret Chancy

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS 3304, SASS 79990
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Best over the counter 223 ammo for whitetail deer
« on: October 07, 2011, 09:12:20 PM »
I am hoping some of you guys can help me out with a little info. I have a recoil shy shooter that I have agreed to take out for the youth deer hunt. The only light recoiling rifle he seems to be comfortable shooting is my 223. While I know that I could easily take a deer with the rifle using any legal round, I am at a loss as to what the best manufactured ammo is for whitetail deer with a 223. Being a youth he will need a shot in the vitals with possibly hitting a rib or shoulder because a neck or head shot is unlikely to be possible. Any and all input welcome because I am at a loss to come up with the best scenario other than buying him another rifle and getting deeper into his recoil phobia. Thanks, RC
"Aint nothing better than riding a fine horse into new country"

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Best over the counter 223 ammo for whitetail deer
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 03:29:20 AM »
Check ye local game laws make sure it's legal. I would say 60+ gs for bullet weight either hollow point or soft point, get the heaviest bullet ya can find. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Regret Chancy

• Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS 3304, SASS 79990
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 11:21:08 AM »
That is what I am gravitating towards. I have some Remington CoreLokt in 155 grains but am trying to stay away from ballistic tipped rounds. In Kentucky we are legally able to hunt with any centerfire rifle as long as capacity is 10 + 1 or lower. No full metal jacket ammo is legal. Thanks for the reccomendation on a heavier round, I will be searching for something more appropriate for deer than prairie dogs. Thanks amigo, RC
"Aint nothing better than riding a fine horse into new country"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:39:44 AM »

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 04:07:41 PM »
Yer not sayin ya got 155's in 223 are ya?  I don't believe I've ever seen those. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 01:57:52 PM »
Last I knew the 60 gr Winchester's were considered good.  If I had time I'd do a handload with a Barnes X bullet. 
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 11:59:55 PM »
I guess it's been said already.  But a youth with a .223 could possibly be a bad thing in a deer that gets wounded and runs off with little blood trail.  >:(
And if you actually find a .223 round with a bullet that is "heavy" enough, your rifle may not have a fast enough twist to be accurate.  Heaviest I've seen are 90 gr HPBT match bullets.  And those ain't good for a big wound.

I have killed a few deer with .223's before, but they were standing still or laying down and I had a sub-MOA varmint rifle on a steady bipod and made solid forehead shots.  Those were instant drops.
Can you get the young hunter to use a larger caliber?  Say a .243 Win?  There is hardly any recoil to that.

In my opinion only,
MG

PS:  Thank you for supporting the youth hunt.  It is a fine thing you're doing.
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline rem1148

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 05:59:01 PM »
I sort of agree with MG but don`t want to take away from a youth hunter. If you feel they are capable of steady nerves and shot I have killed several with my AR with neck shots and 55 gr. soft points by winchester. Have a box of 55 gr federal fusion but not tried them yet! Good Luck

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 01:05:21 PM »
Howdy
I purchased a box of .223 with a 75 grain hollow point . The brand was HPR I picked up a box of 50 to try in my rifle . Only got to shoot out to 100 yards they were ok at 100 . Has anyone else tried these ?

Offline MedicineMan

• Active citizen
  • SASS # 98990
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 08:32:08 PM »
I am hoping some of you guys can help me out with a little info. I have a recoil shy shooter that I have agreed to take out for the youth deer hunt. The only light recoiling rifle he seems to be comfortable shooting is my 223. While I know that I could easily take a deer with the rifle using any legal round, I am at a loss as to what the best manufactured ammo is for whitetail deer with a 223. Being a youth he will need a shot in the vitals with possibly hitting a rib or shoulder because a neck or head shot is unlikely to be possible. Any and all input welcome because I am at a loss to come up with the best scenario other than buying him another rifle and getting deeper into his recoil phobia. Thanks, RC

I have been using Silver Bear JHP for the last few years.
Cheap but reliable.

Southern whitetails in the >175# size range.
One shot kills (mostly) at 100 yards, with a 2nd shot rarely when I don't aim well.

They will do a real number on yotes though.
We have an overabundance of the interlopers around here as of late.

I use an AR with 11.5 bbl (plus 4.5 FH)

I wouldn't hesitate to rely on them for main meat-getters after the zombie apocalypse.    LOL

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 02:35:09 PM »
Some states will not allow a caliber under .243" for big game.
Some states will not allow bullets under 100 grs for big game.

Just sayin'.
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com