Author Topic: Let's talk about gun leather...  (Read 31619 times)

Offline Wes Virginian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Let's talk about gun leather...
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2005, 11:42:13 AM »
My 1st rig is a "Duke" rig(black) from El Paso Leather for 5.5" Rugers. Another rig I have is custom made holsters(dk brown) for 7.5" Rugers. (Traded for them) My last rig is tooled black leather (3" Belt) for my 7.5" ROA's from Liberty Leather. All are right & left hand. I shoot equally bad with either hand!
The rig from Liberty Leather is by far my best lookin' leather! But then, Grouchy Old Bear and I discussed what I wanted before he made it!

Wes Virginian
Texican Rangers, Co. A, Kanawha Valley Regulators, NRA Life-Endowment, SASS Life 40471, NCOWS 2037, GAF, USN '60/'63.

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2005, 01:45:41 PM »
My first rig was a plain tan used buscadero I bought off the internet. I used it for a couple years with a shotgun slide I bought from the local "toy" store. I then decided I wanted to go with a straight belt. I bought a used leather Hunter shotgun belt from another local "toy" store. I put the holsters from the buscadero rig on the shotgun belt with the bucket in the back. At the first local "toy" store, they had a used inexpensive gun belt with a Blackhawk and Single-six holster. It was a great deal so I could'nt pass it up. I had watched "Riders of the Purple Sage" (1996) and decided I wanted to wear crossed belts like Lassiter. So I put my right holster on the gun belt and the left one on the shotgun belt. A pard gave me a cartridge box he wasn't using, so I put it in front of the right holster. I bought a set of Remington NMA's from a pard and a gun rig was part of the deal. The "new" holsters were longer (for 7.5" barrels). I was shooting 7.5" barreled guns so the end of the barrels were sticking out the bottoms of the buscadero holsters. So, I put the longer holster on my belts. All the leather is brown; many different shades. Below is a pic of my right belt. I don't think I have a pick of the shotgun belt, though.

Slim

PS. I made the sheath for my Bowie.
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2005, 01:48:37 PM »
I have way too much gun leather but the rig that I use the most is from San Pedro and is plain black.  I do like some fancy leather and I am waiting for some carved leather from big Ed, which should be here any time now ;).

But to be honest I'd rather contemplate and talk about the curve of Camille's hip ;D ;D

Will Ketchum
Will!   :o ;)

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:37:14 PM »

Offline Joyce (AnnieLee)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2005, 03:45:12 PM »
My first rig came from Big Ed and wasn't contoured. If I sat then stood, I'd have to shove it back into place. It was also tapered at the ends, so I took the holsters off and reversed them so the belt buckled in the back. It worked ok for over a year, then I had crescent ejectors put on my Rugers. The holsters were so tight they would not accept that crescent. I was able to shove the revolvers far enough in to be stable... then I stepped to the firing line, the buzzer beeped and I tried to draw... and pulled my rig up to my armpit.
It wasn't pleasant and was close to impossible to shoot Gunfighter.

So, Bob Mernickle got a call. My new rig is a modified "Holy Terror" rig, with customized borders and airbrushed dye on the edges. It is gorgeous. The belt is contoured and Bob knows how to fit both smaller and larger ladies. The holsters have steel inserts that are unseen. I've been to one match with this rig and it is phenomenal. I don't know what they did to make the holsters like that, but it seems the revolver grips just want to be in my hands. The holsters are held in place with Chicago screws so I could adjust them to my reach and not worry about them sliding.

Here are the pics:

Did I NEED to purchase such a stylish rig? Nope, but the folks at Mernickles combine style with functionality. When I got the rig, I stared and thought: "I am not worthy." I like that. Similar to my '73 which will always be able to out perform me, this rig was crafted at an extremely high standard.

By the way, I shot that match clean.

:D

AnnieLee

Unrepentant WartHog
Heathen Gunfighter
Pepper Mill Creek Gang
RATS
and
Wielder of "Elle KaBong", the WartHog cast iron skillet
Nasty Lady

Offline Wes Virginian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2005, 08:27:23 PM »
AnnaLee,
     That is just about the purtiest rig I have ever seen! From the rockbound coast of Maine to the sunkist shores of Californie!
Texican Rangers, Co. A, Kanawha Valley Regulators, NRA Life-Endowment, SASS Life 40471, NCOWS 2037, GAF, USN '60/'63.

Offline Irish Red O'Toole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2005, 08:42:34 PM »
Here's my rig.  I got it for a combination of style and functionality.  I have longer than normal arms, so having the holsters slung low and strapped on my thighs makes drawing faster and smoother.  The spots and silver lettering is pure style.

Offline Birdgun Quail

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2005, 08:56:31 PM »
Ms AnnieLee that is a very handsome rig!  And nice lady, you are more than worthy of it.
God bless,
Birdgun Quail

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2005, 09:07:24 PM »
Howdy, My first rigs were a couple of Duke rigs from El Paso Saddlery. Then I got Paul from RedDog Leather to make this up for me. I have 3 different knives (all sizes of Bowies from mini to this one made by J. Jacobs of Oregon.)
Curley

Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2005, 09:17:50 PM »
Forgot, guess I should have said more about the rig. Yes Big John, it is a Red Dog. Paul and I discussed what I wanted.  I wanted a good Left hand rig (some makers cant do left handed) I wanted something with full skirts and border tooled. the holsters are flared slightly on the outside and they are molded to the gun you are using. I wanted this one with crossdraw, and the crossdraw to ride a little higher on the belt. The belt is a modified moneybelt, (and it has yet to bleed on my clothes..) Currently I carry the Dakota with the Stag in the crossdraw and a new GW2 in the strongside. the guns look very similar (of course the GW2 has BETTER CCH. The knife sheath was made from an outline of the knife on paper, and as you can see it fits like a glove. For Bowies of this size Paul charges by the inch

I highly recommend RedDogs work.
Curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2005, 12:37:19 AM »
Gret looking rig Curley. I've been in touch with Paul, but haven't yet decided on exactly what I want him to make. I'm leaning toward a buscadero because of my long arms, but I like his Duke rig and Eastwood rig as well. Decisions, decisions.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2005, 08:44:10 PM »
You can't go wrong with Red Dog, prices are very good and turnaround time is usually 2 weeks.
So far I have gotten 3 knife sheaths (plus one more for Old Top) 2 holsters an extra belt, 4 load strips in all of me and Tops calibers including one with 45 on one side and 38 on the otherside, and the rig pictured. I've had a few compliments on the leather at matches..

Curley
The Cowboys
dammit gang

Offline Big John Denny

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2005, 11:31:45 PM »
I'm really going to have to get serious about which rig I want from Paul. His work looks really good.
Big John Denny, SASS 64775
US Army Retired
Los Vaqueros
BOLD #661
GOFWG #240
SBSS #1780 (Order of the Golden Bullet)
NMLRA
NRA
"Aim small....Miss small"

+draw

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2005, 04:59:25 PM »
I'd really like to show you mine, but I've had it on order since mid-February and have no idea when it's going to get made.

jiminy criquet

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2005, 02:21:03 PM »
'Drifter' rig from Cochise Leather.  http://www.cochiseleather.com/gunbelt_holsters.html  Stuffed with two 1858 Remington cartridge conversions.

Mine's still not near beat up enough.  I need to roll around in the dirt with it or something.  Remove one holster and it serves as a hunting rig backup pistol, for when the rifle inevitably fails just when you need it not to.

Can't say enough good about Cochise Leather.  They build them right to your specs for 'stock' prices.  In no time flat, too.  Cool.

Offline Chantilly

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2005, 04:57:10 PM »
I started with a simple nonlined gun rig made by a local leathermaker.  As I learned more about CAS, I wanted a new rig but one that would not ruin the line of my dresses and that would work well for me!  Low on the hips bunches up the dresses and just doesn't look right plus there is no need to accentuate these hips.  I looked at a lot of gun rigs..simple...fancy....two strong side holsters, strong side/cross draw...different colors..angled holsters...dropped holsters....decisions, decisions.  The great thing about Cowboy Action Shooters, they love to share their equipment so you can try out the different versions.  I got a good idea about what I needed and wanted.  THEN...I had to find a leathermaker that didn't think "ruining the line of my dresses" was funny and that took a while.

My specs - doesn't ruin the line of my dresses (I said that, right?), black, rough side out on the holsters to look like velvet  :), flowers on the conchos, suede leather belt (which I love by the way - lighter weight and not so hot, very comfortable belt), angled forward holsters that flow with the hips and makes it easier to draw, about a 3 inch drop in the holsters to allow the belt to be worn at the waist (therefore, not ruining the line of my dresses, of course) but lowering the guns a bit for that ease in the draw, lined holsters.  We actually ended up with two cross draw holsters and reversed the holsters on the belt   - they don't angle like you'd think when on a woman's hips when that woman is hippy.   The holsters are also cut lower under the trigger guard - this was especially important for my weak side so I could get a better grip on the gun.   Now I have "girly" holsters as the boys around here call them.  I love them, wouldn't trade this rig for anything and really thank the leathermaker for working with me for over two hours in the design process to get everything "just right".  If you have special desires - I highly recommend Greg Walters of Lees Summit, MO - Gwgunleather@aol.com.

Here it is....

A six-shooter makes men and women equal.  - Agnes Morley Cleaveland (1818-1889)

I should like a little fun now and then.  Life is altogether too sober.  - Elizabeth Blackwell (1821-1910)

Offline Chantilly

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2005, 05:05:45 PM »
Another view - 

A six-shooter makes men and women equal.  - Agnes Morley Cleaveland (1818-1889)

I should like a little fun now and then.  Life is altogether too sober.  - Elizabeth Blackwell (1821-1910)

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Keep your pants and your powder dry.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2005, 07:20:01 PM »
Gret looking rig Curley. I've been in touch with Paul, but haven't yet decided on exactly what I want him to make. I'm leaning toward a buscadero because of my long arms, but I like his Duke rig and Eastwood rig as well. Decisions, decisions.

I would go with the Eastwood rig.  Especially if we are talking about the Lazy stitch belt from the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.  One day I might try me had at making one of those myself.  Almost had Big Ed make one for me, but bought another colt instead.
Keep your pants and your powder dry!
# 356056

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2005, 07:24:41 PM »
Another view - 

Beautiful rig and Rugers!  I like the look of the plating.
# 356056

Offline Tommy tornado

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2005, 07:30:43 PM »
Being a history buff, I like a straight belt with a Civil War Eagle plate with Silver Wreath (kind of like the one shown in Packing Iron p. 86).  I made one of those and I use it with California Slim Jims.  Also recently bought a half-flap holster that I want to try out.  Not in the sport to be the fastest, just shoot some lead and enjoy myself.
# 356056

Offline Trinity

• AKA the Chicory Kid
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Here's to Miss AnnieLee!
    • Trinity aka Chicory Kid Rides
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2005, 10:30:31 PM »

Big John, This is my Duke rig from Reddog which I like very much.  I found him on Ebay where he now has a "store".  I keep looking and will buy my next rig from him because I am so pleased.  Doing business with him was also a pleasure, he was very patient and answered any questions that I had in length.

...the bowie sheath was made by our pard Silver Creek Slim  ;)

"Finest partner I ever had.  Cleans his paws and buries his leavin's.  Lot more than some folks I know."

"I fumbled through my closet for my clothes, And found my cleanest dirty shirt" - K.Kristofferson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com