Author Topic: "Other" calibers.....  (Read 6868 times)

Offline hhughh

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Other" calibers.....
« on: September 27, 2011, 06:44:10 PM »
To all the Buffalo shooters out there, I have a question about calibers.

Over the next few years, I'm hoping to round out my collection with various Old West weapons.  I would prefer to have as many different calibers as guns.  So, as I am "locked in" to .45-70 in a Trapdoor, I'd like some input on the other calibers for a:

74 Sharps,
Rolling block
'85 Winchester
'86 Winchester--I know not strictly a "buffalo rifle", but sill large bore, large capacity, BP cartridges

Thanks for any suggestions.
Hugh

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: "Other" calibers.....
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 07:16:14 PM »
Start with a copy of 'Cartridges of the World'. There's a whole mess of them described under Obsolete American Cartridges.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline hhughh

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 07:40:54 PM »
Thanks, SF.

I'll get that, and I also want Venturino's book on the Single Shots.  Was just hoping to hear from shooters with hands-on experience.  What they like, what they'd stay away from, etc.

Hugh

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:14:49 PM »

Offline Shotgun Franklin

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 08:12:56 PM »
OK, I'm real fond of a Remington Rolling Block in either .40-70 Straight or .40-70 Bottle Neck. The Bottle Neck is somewhat faster a round. I also like the Shapes ladder type rear sight. The last RB I had I put an old blade type front sight on. I'm more of a hunter than target shooter when it come to rifles.
Yes, I do have more facial hair now.

Offline Jubal Starbuck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 06:27:10 AM »
   I have a Pedersoli Rolling Block in .40-65 that shoots very well and has never given me any problems.  A Winchester 1886 in .40-65 does well for me out to 250 yds., but I have not shot it beyond that.  Bullets in the 260 gr. range out of the '86 are probably a bit light for consistent knockdowns on buffalo, but it is a fun shooter.  400 grainers and Swiss powder work well out of the Rolling Block.

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 05:41:02 PM »
I had a pederosoli rebarreled to 50/90 16lbs 30'' barrel If you went into Zimmermans hardware in Dodge City in 1874 looking for a
buffalo rifle  thats probably  what you would have gotten. The BIG 50 reeekkss of history

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline StrawHat

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 10:19:02 PM »
Another of the "Big 50s" can be found in a Trapdoor if you like that action.  I have an 1866 Trapdoor in 50-70.  Also rolling blocks in 45-70 and 50-70.  I like the 50-70, easy to reload and very accurate.  Possibly more game was taken with the 50-70 than others as it was easily the oldest commonly available cartridge.  Remington had a few cartridges for the buffalo fields and the target fields, the 44-77 comes to mind.
Knowledge is to be shared not hoarded.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 11:02:11 PM »
74 sharps standard chambering was 45 2.1, it could be order with the longer chambers for extra. It was also available in a host of 40,44 and 50 cartridges.  As you have the 45-70 in the trapdoor already then maybe next best representative cartridge would be the "big 50" 50-90.
 Remington rollers were chambered in a handful of rimfire cartridges and some 40, 44 and the 50-70 centerfires, along with several European military cartridges. The atypical cartridge for that rifle would likely be either the 44-77 or 44-90, both cases are now commercially available from Jamison's.
 The 85 winchester was available in such a wide variety of cartirdges it would be hard to pick just one.
 The 86 chambered in the 40-82 had a great reputation, along with the 45-70 but you've already covered that one with the trapdoor.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline john boy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 10:07:42 AM »
A shooter is the RRB in 43 Spanish.  Akin to the Sharps 44-77.  Both are good to 1000yds
Regards
SHOTS Master John Boy

WartHog ...
Brevet 1st Lt, Scout Company, Department of the Atlantic
SASS  ~  SCORRS ~ OGB with Star

Devote Convert to BPCR

Offline hhughh

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 04:17:25 PM »
Great suggestions, guys.  I'm all ears and still a-listening.  Keep 'em coming, please.

Hugh

Offline Yellowhouse Sam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 10:43:53 PM »
If you want a caliber that probably killed more buffalo (by indian and white hunters) and  more indians/soldiers....then get a trapdoor chambered in 50-70.                                     
SASS #25171
NRA
Retarred and Member of KMA
SBSS
"Sammy done his da**ndest, Angels could do no more" (From lyrics of Andy Wilkinson"

Offline JimBob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 11:17:26 PM »
If you want a caliber that probably killed more buffalo (by indian and white hunters) and  more indians/soldiers....then get a trapdoor chambered in 50-70.                                     

You said it,that's what Buffalo Bill Cody was using when he aquired his moniker if I remember right.Probably saw more action in the Indian Wars than the .45-70.

Offline Jayhawker

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 10:54:36 AM »
On the "smaller side" I've got a Uberti 1885 High Wall in .38-55. Not a classic "buffalo cartridge" but the thing is just a joy to shoot...
Life is NOT like a box of chocolates...it more like a jalapeno...what you do today might burn your butt tomorrow...

Offline Skyrider

• Very Active Citizen
  • Thank A VET For Your FREEDOM!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 06:38:37 PM »
I suppose if you want to reap all the "horse-power" in a Buff rifle, you  could look at a 50-140.......Ouch! ;D

I know they came later but that is one heck of a way to obtain a headache at the bench I was told. ::)
IRISH MIKE

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 09:12:58 PM »

You said it,that's what Buffalo Bill Cody was using when he aquired his moniker if I remember right.Probably saw more action in the Indian Wars than the .45-70.[/quote

I have a nice 50-70 trapdoor. Only antique gun I own. Shoots good too.  It has an 'F S' carved in the   wood in front of the triggerguard,,,any ideas what that might mean ? Someones initials ? rank ?

Thanks

MD

Offline Otter

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 11:01:44 PM »
I suppose if you want to reap all the "horse-power" in a Buff rifle, you  could look at a 50-140.......Ouch! ;D
Shot one of them once . . . only once. Took me two days to regain use of my arm again . . . Just kidding, it really wasn't that bad ;D.
I hate rudeness in a man, I won't tolerate it . . . W.F. Call

NRA Endowment Life Member

Offline Grogan

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #3584
    • Grogan's Photo Albums
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2011, 03:57:15 PM »
Keep in mind when you go to .50 anything caliber you have to make adjustments in your reloading gear.

I had to consider this when I came across a beautiful 16# "Big 50" Sharps that caught my eye.

It did take me a few days to make up my mind to take the jump.

Here's what I had that wouldn't work:  my Lee Auto Prime, Redding-Saeco Lubrisizer, .45 Rimmed Shell Holders, and all of my .40 and .45 Caliber Bullet Moulds.

I had to get:  .50 Rimmed Shell Holder, .50 cal. Bullet Molds, Lyman Lubri-sizer w/.50 cal. Sizing Die & Top Punch/es, .50 cal Priming Tool, and the proper dies for the cartridge/s I wanted to load for.

Once that was taken care of, running into a nice Remington Rolling Block in .50-70 made acquiring that a much easier decision.  ;D

I'd highly recommend the .50-70 as a "fun" cartridge to shoot and load for.  ;)
Regards,
Grogan, SASS #3584

Frontiersman: The only category where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s. -Canada Bill

Offline Skyrider

• Very Active Citizen
  • Thank A VET For Your FREEDOM!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2011, 08:12:45 PM »
There are about a truckload of out of date calibers! I settled on a Winchester model 1876, in the 50 / 95 caliber. As was mentioned by another forum member, the book authored by Frank Barnes "Cartridges Of The World" will shead a a skyfull of information for you sir.
IRISH MIKE

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com