Author Topic: Wow! What a book!  (Read 12829 times)

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wow! What a book!
« on: September 26, 2011, 04:54:38 PM »
I got "Empire of the Summer Moon" by S.C. Gwynne from the local library. I read half way through it and realized that I HAD to own this book, so I ordered a hardbound from Amazon.com . It is readily apparent to me that the vast amount of research, verified information and direct quotes from period literature and the believable historical account of the rise and fall of the Nermernuh (Comanches), the most formidable native American fighting force that American forces ever faced, make this a "must own book". I am not a Historian, so I cannot swear to the authenticity of what Mr. Gwynne writes, but the documentation is quite significant and the bibliography is formidable to say the least. It is for tht reason that I want to own this book and it is one that I would encourage anyone with an interest in the history of the old west to own and read. For me I don't intend to just read it. I will STUDY it.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Cherokee Bob

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Wow! What a book!
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 08:07:58 PM »
I have read this book and it is one of the best most historically accurate books about the period and history I have ever read.  I have read it several times and get more out of it each time.  I have also lent it to several peopole and all were impressed by it.  It will leave its mark on you.     A 10-out-of-10.
Live Free, Shoot Straight Be Strong, Die Hard

Cherokee Bob

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 11:05:31 AM »
This sounds like an interesting read.

Some years back, I got "hooked" on the Plainsman Series of books by the late Terry C. Johnston.  Like you Bugscuffle, I'm not an historian, so I don't know about verifying all the "facts" but it seemed that Mr. Johnston certainly did his research.   He took historically verified people from actual battles, groups, etc. read the letters from the actual participants of whatever event and would add a fictional character or 2 to join with the real characters to make an interesting book of "Historical fiction," I believe is the right term.  Among other things, he wrote of the Fetterman massacre, Beecher's Island, the famous fight at (if I remember correctly) or near Adobe Walls and other interesting events.   Like I said, it's very historically based fiction and written in an excellent style. 

Unfortunately, Mr. Johnston passed away in 2001 at the age of 54, so no new books will be written.

(some info: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/j/terry-c-johnston/)

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:46:24 AM »

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 11:29:38 AM »
Some years back, I got "hooked" on the Plainsman Series of books by the late Terry C. Johnston.  Like you Bugscuffle, I'm not an historian, so I don't know about verifying all the "facts" but it seemed that Mr. Johnston certainly did his research.   He took historically verified people from actual battles, groups, etc. read the letters from the actual participants of whatever event and would add a fictional character or 2 to join with the real characters to make an interesting book of "Historical fiction," I believe is the right term.  Among other things, he wrote of the Fetterman massacre, Beecher's Island, the famous fight at (if I remember correctly) or near Adobe Walls and other interesting events.   Like I said, it's very historically based fiction and written in an excellent style. 
Unfortunately, Mr. Johnston passed away in 2001 at the age of 54, so no new books will be written.
(some info: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/j/terry-c-johnston/)
SHB,
I agree, Terry Johnston did his homework. I liked his mountain man series of books with Scratch as the main charcter too. I was saddened by his passing. He was one of the best historical fiction writers around.
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 12:02:03 PM »
You guys are blessed with the ability to sit still and read,my dad was that way,my indian great aunt tuaght him,i wishh i could have inherited that,too much ADD,i have a nice little library of old west books,i bet i have read at least one page in each one before shelving it...May be when i am old i will sit down and start reading,wait a minute i am old... ??? :( :-\

In the mean time i'll just go by what you guys read.But do make note,you are truely blessed!
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline Dances With Coyotes

• Dark Lord of the Soot apprentice
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 10:15:14 AM »
I went out and bought it too. Very fascinating read. It especially details the indians cruelty to their captives. Doesn't really romantisize alot.
All you need is love and a .45

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • GAF, Department of the Missouri
    • Talbot's Fine Accessories
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 12:54:47 PM »
I just put it in my shopping cart at Amazon. Tanks for the recommendation. What other books about the Indian Wars should be in my cart with it?
George Washington "Hopalong" Strong
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
Good Guy's Posse & Bristol Plains Pistoleros
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 02:11:37 PM »
Got any of the Lonesome Dove books? Comanche Moon is especially my favorite.

Offline G.W. Strong

• Grand Army of the Frontier, (Bvt.) Colonel, Commander of the Department of the Missouri
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 03:02:05 PM »
Got any of the Lonesome Dove books? Comanche Moon is especially my favorite.

I don't are they good?
Grand Army of the Frontier #774, (Bvt.) Colonel commanding the Department of the Missouri.
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 09:14:36 PM »
I went out and bought it too. Very fascinating read. It especially details the indians cruelty to their captives. Doesn't really romantisize alot.

No it doesn't "romantisize the Indian culture. If you read carefully though I believe that you will see that the Comanches were a product of their environment and were capable of taking care of their own in a humane and gentlle manner. I was particularly taken with the observation that it was the Great Plains Indians and particularly the Comanche and other of the Southern Plains Indians that made it possible for us to expand all the way westward. I had not noticed that the westward expansion of the Americans was made possible because the Comanches had litteraly stopped the Spanish northward expamsion at about the New Mexico/Arizona border. Were it not for that we would have only had half of a continent to occupy and the other half would have been Mexico. Further evidence of that is that California and western Arizona were occupied/habitated/hijacked long before the central plains were. If it were not for the advent of repeating firearms, we may not have overcome Indian resistance for many more years. God bless America and Sam Colt, Winchester and Smith and Wesson. And thanks to the Comanches for keeping the road clear until we could develop superior firepower.

I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Capt.Virgil Russo

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 06:25:24 PM »
I don't are they good?

IMO, Lonesome Dove is the jewel in the crown that is that series. The other volumes pale in comparison.

Again, my opinion. YMMV.
SASS# 93527
GAF# 772 Department of The Atlantic

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 02:14:12 PM »
Let's see.....in the Lonesome Dove series there is

Dead Man's Walk
Comanche Moon
Lonesome Dove
Streets of Laredo

And they all have corresponding movies that were made from them.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 03:24:38 PM »
Let's see.....in the Lonesome Dove series there is

Dead Man's Walk
Comanche Moon
Lonesome Dove
Streets of Laredo

And they all have corresponding movies that were made from them.

I have read them all.  Trouble is that I don't know when facts end and fiction begins. I loved Empire of the Summer Moon.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 03:49:24 PM »
I started the Lonesome Dove book  during a field exercise when I was in Germany.  The FX ended before I finished the book and the borrowed copy was returned to its' owner.  I regret not having finished it OR reading the other books in the series.

However, I do have all the DVDs and enjoy them immensely!

IF Mrs. B will loan me her new (and not-yet-received-for-Christmas) Kindle Fire, I may read the rest of the books, but as my eyes deteriorate I find myself reading less and less.  I have enjoyed great eyesight and am really spoiled about it since I only need generic over-the-counter cheapo 1.5 to 1.75 power reading specs.  Spoiled!  I admit it!

This saddens me as I have been a voracious reader since I was in the 3rd grade.  I lived in Brasil (South America) for a year during what WOULD have been my 2nd grade year - age 7.  I came back to America to live with my Father & new Step-Mom and didn't know how to read, except my name, etc.  She made me learn to read.  (I hated her greatly at the time for that and many other very juvenile reasons.)  We came to an understanding by the end of that school year and by then I was reading at the sophomore in H.S. level.  I have LOVED reading ever since.  Thanks again, Mom!  (R.I.P.)

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline G.W. Strong

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 06:23:17 PM »
My local library has all of the books listed in this thread. So rather than buying the book form Amazon I will go check out all the books from the Library. They even have Empire of the Summer Moon on CD unabridged so I may wind up "reading" it on my drive to work. I spend about 90 minutes in the car each day.
SASS #91251
NCOWS #3477
Sweetwater Regulators

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 02:04:34 AM »
I'm hoping that many of these books are part of what Amazon touts as "free" since they aren't particularly new or top-10 Best Sellers.  I think that many books are Public Domain.  We'll see.  My wife loves to read as I do, and she gets many paperbacks and hardbacks from Goodwill and such at $.50 to $5.00 at a rate of a book or two per week.

Plus, it is my understanding that many places controlled by Public Libraries are allowing many selections available online, not just from Amazon.

... And then, there's the plain 'ol way to get books from the Library the way we've done it for many moons already.

It's all good!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 02:31:53 AM »
Here is a heads up  ;)
"Empire of the Summer Moon" is in pre-production

course who knows how close it will follow the book ?
However, heavy weights Ridley Scott & Tony Scott are the producers, and the Screenwriter is Larry McMurtry.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Green River Powell aka RonC

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2011, 05:29:53 PM »
I just bought the book "Empire of the Summer Moon" based on your comments, Bugscuffle. Thank you!

Ron
Ron

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2011, 11:17:24 AM »
Here is a heads up  ;)
"Empire of the Summer Moon" is in pre-production

course who knows how close it will follow the book ?
However, heavy weights Ridley Scott & Tony Scott are the producers, and the Screenwriter is Larry McMurtry.

"REALLY?"
I'm curious how realistic it will be. Did you guys read about the baby being killed by the indians because the Comanches feared it would interfere with the white captive womans work?

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2011, 02:54:19 PM »
Dances - You wrote ('tho it looks like part of the Quote)

"I'm curious how realistic it will be. Did you guys read about the baby being killed by the indians because the Comanches feared it would interfere with the white captive womans work?"

I'll bet THAT doesn't get in the movie!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com