Author Topic: Reloading question  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 264
Reloading question
« on: September 25, 2011, 12:22:34 PM »
When reloading .45 Colt for the Uberti 1873 with 200 grain RNFP bullets, what overall length seems to work best? I've been seating mine to the crimp groove for an OAL of 1.575".
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Okefinokee Outlaw

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Reloading question
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 05:45:18 PM »
I can't speak for the 45 Colt, but I seat 240 grain up to the crimp groove in 44-40 with an overall length of 1.591.  They cycle very smoothly.

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 07:38:26 PM »
Howdy Okefinokee,

Thanks for the reply. I Somehow bent the extractor on my 1873 after putting over 2000 rounds through it. I want to make sure my OAL in in the ball park.

On my 1892 with Starline cases and a 200 grain RNFP bullet seated to the crimp groove, I get an OAL of 1.575". It seems coincidental that I get the same OAL with my .45 Colt rounds and 200 grain RNFP bullets.
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:07:47 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 08:22:16 PM »
Real simple to find max OAL with a 73 as they come with a built in case gauge.  Retract the lever and turn rifle over.  Insert a cartridge into the mag well on top of the bottom of the carrier.  If it won't go in it's to long.  How short they can be depends on the bevel on the front of the carrier.  If you keep your ammo between 1.500 and 1.590 you will never have a problem with a 73.  The mortise in the receiver is nominally 1.600.  Anything longer than that won't work.  Read this as it explains how a 73 works.

http://www.theopenrange.net/forum/index.php?topic=5274.0

Offline Johnny McCrae

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 09:18:37 PM »
Howdy Pettigogger,

Thank you for the link to "Winchester Toggle Link 101". You did an excellent job on this tutorial.  I downloaded and printed it for future reference. The pictures and the narrative make it easy to understand how the everything ties in. The explanation of the built in case gauge is what I was looking for. I should be OK with an OAL of 1.575".

By the way, the Winchester Model 1873 is a great addition to this Forum, very informative and helpful!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com