Author Topic: Need a whole lot of input on a major project........  (Read 2093 times)

Offline hhughh

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need a whole lot of input on a major project........
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:21:51 PM »
Moderators, I think I got this on the right forum.  If it's better somewhere else, please accept my apologies and place properly.

I realize this post has the potential of a firestorm, so while cool heads still prevail, let me state that is not my intention.  But I have embarked on a multi-year, and possibly multi-decade project, and I need some input from those with more knowledge than myself.

I have always been a huge history buff, and the love of historical firearms comes very naturally to me.  My son is now getting old enough to follow, and it seems he has the same bug.  I don’t have the finances to purchase original examples to complete this project, but I’m satisfied with reproductions, so that’s not an issue.  Please Note:  This is not to be about the quality of this repro vs. another, etc.  Some things are simply not available as reproductions, so originals will be the only option.

I’m going to provide a list of the guns I own/intend to own, and the calibers that I’m “locked in” on.  On certain models, though, I am very open.  Looking at the list, you will readily see that I could potentially have several guns in .45-70.  This is NO knock on the .45-70 round at all, I just would like my little collection to be as varied in calibers as in firearms.

This is the list (so far, but I’m pretty sure it’s close to complete):

Flintlock fowler, 12 ga. (already built)
Flintlock Pennsylvania/Kentucky long rifle (next building project, but prob. .50)
Flintlock Northwest Trade Gun, 20 ga (already built)
Flintlock Tennessee/Southern Appalachian Rifle, .50 (already built)
Percussion Hawken/Plains style rifle, .54 (already built)
1853 Enfield (no cal. Options)
1861 Springfield (no cal. Options)
1866 Springfield (may have to be an original--know of no repros, but no cal. options)
1873 Springfiled (no cal options)
Krag-Jorgenson rifle (no cal options)
1903 Springfield
M1 Garand

For the Old West guns, and for your input:
A Sharps 1863 (.50 or .54?)
Spencer (repro, would you stay with the .56, or go with a more modern chambering?)
Henry(Thinking .45 Colt, to load down and get comparable results to a .44RF)
1866 (Thinking in .44 Spec. to load down to .44RF)
1873 (Already have in .32-20.  See some of my other posts as to why…)
1874 Sharps (Caliber other than .45-70?)
1876 (Already have, .45-75)
1882 Remington Dbl barrel (already have, 12 ga)
1885 High Wall (Cal, other than .45-70?)
1886 (Other than .45-70?)
1887 lever shotgun 12 ga.
1892 (Already have in .44 Mag, but am going to rebarrel/chamber to .44 WCF)
1894 (Your suggestion as to one of the BP rounds--not .30-30?)
1895 (Ditto)
1897 shotgun, 12 ga.

The idea--for myself for fun, for my son for education--is that whatever era of American history we may be discussing, we can go to the rack and take down a gun.  Or, take a Saturday and go make smoke and “be there” for a little while.

Again, this is not intended to incite battles as to the “best caliber”, or brow-beating.  It’s just an open discussion on which calibers in each gun.  I’m “locked in” with the .45-70, because with the ‘73 Springfield, of course, there is no option.

Thanks for any and all input.  Like I said, this is not going to happen tomorrow, or even next month.  But my son and I have put together a wish list for the guns.  Now I’m ready to research calibers.

Hugh

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Need a whole lot of input on a major project........
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 03:15:01 PM »
hhughh, good luck with your quest. It sounds really interesting. I hope your able to complete it with your son. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com