Author Topic: 540 gr in 50-70 carbine  (Read 1740 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
540 gr in 50-70 carbine
« on: September 17, 2011, 06:52:19 PM »
A couple of years ago, I came by a .50 calibre mould that throws 540 gr bullets. I sized them to .512 like I do my Lyman 515141s and tried them in my Shiloh Military Rifle (1 x 36" twist) over 65 grs FFg. One out of three tumbled at 50 yards and recoil got my attention .....
When my new 50-70 Shiloh carbine arrived, those rounds would not chamber as I had neck sized them only. So, I modified a Kinetics 'hammer' type bullet puller to yank the lead, salvage the powder and full length resized the brass.

I just reloaded them and they chamber just fine in the fast twist (1 x 26") carbine, which has a left hand twist, BTW. All my other Shilohs have a right hand twist. I expect these loads to be 'thumpers' at both ends.

While I was at it, I loaded up some 365 gr bullets over a full 70 grs of FFg. From a Rapine mould, they are nominally a 375 gr and miked .520. They swadged down just fine in my .512 die. 
First time I ever got that much powder under a bullet in a 50-70 case. I'm hoping it will serve as an 'Express' loading for deer and black bear. It will be interesting to see what rate of twist handles this lightweight bullet best.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com