Author Topic: I Met Buck Taylor!  (Read 5103 times)

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
I Met Buck Taylor!
« on: September 16, 2011, 10:47:19 AM »
I know there are people here who know Buck Taylor personally, but I had never met him.   I had a chance to meet him at the Pendleton Roundup rodeo this week.  I didn't want to take too much of his time, but I had a chance to tell him how much I appreciate his and his father's work.  I also had my picture taken with him.  It was a great rodeo, but meeting Buck was the highlight for me.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I Met Buck Taylor!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 04:23:38 PM »
I know there are people here who know Buck Taylor personally, but I had never met him.   I had a chance to meet him at the Pendleton Roundup rodeo this week.  I didn't want to take too much of his time, but I had a chance to tell him how much I appreciate his and his father's work.  I also had my picture taken with him.  It was a great rodeo, but meeting Buck was the highlight for me.

CC Griff

I knew Dubb Taylor, his father, from his fathers frequently coming into a gun shop where I worked. What you see on the screen was what Dubb Taylor was like in person.

When I was living in Washington State, My Uncle and I used to go to the Pendleton Roundup Rodeo every year.

The town I grew up in, Omak, WA still has a rodeo called the Omak Stampede. During this rodeo, they have a race called "The Suicide Race." This race is famous all over the world.

And, as you can imagine, animal rights activists have been trying to stop the race for many years, without success. Animal rights activists have posted many slanderous articles about the suicide race one the Internet.

Bill

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 12:28:46 AM »
Dub was a fantastic character actor.  Besides westerns, he had a hilarious supporting role in "You Can't Take it With You" and I even noticed him in "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington."  Buck had a print of himself with his dad (I think they were in their “Conagher” costumes).  I commented on the fact that I appreciated him too and Buck said something like, "Now he was a real star."  I kick myself for not buying the print from Buck.  I know I can order it, but it would have been cooler to buy it from him directly.

"Dub" was, of course, short for "W", which was, in turn, short for "Walter", both his and Bucks given Christian names.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:47:55 AM »

Offline buttebob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 10:37:02 PM »
Buck has a part in the new "Cowboys and Aliens" movie. He's one of the 3 men who ride  up on Daniel Craig in the opening scene. The 2 men with him in that scene are also named Taylor. Brothers? Sons?

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 12:33:24 AM »
Those are his sons.  When I met him, I said I was a big fan.  He asked me if I'd seen Cowboys and Aliens.  I had to admit that I had not.  At the time, I didn't even know he was in it. Some fan I turned out to be. 

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 04:20:21 PM »
Coal Creek, You need towatch some Gunsmoke episodes. Bucky was Newly. I've know Buck since 1984. He comes to tje Stock Show in Fort Worth each year. I own about a dozen of his prints that are framed and several of his Rodeo posters. I saw Buck at this year at the Pendleton Roundup at Pendleron.Oregon.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 10:08:54 PM »
I met him at the Pendleton Roundup too.  I kind of kick myself for not buying one of his prints while I was there.  I kind of admired the one with him Dub together...

I may need to order one from the website, but it just won't be the same.

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 08:32:33 AM »
CCG, Buck is a special friend of mine. He invited me to Lubbock when he was inducted into the National Ranching Heritage group and to Fort Worth when he was inducted to the Texas Cowboy Hall of Fame. I spend almost 40 years as a Law Enforcement Officer in Texas and Buck always signs my prints with a line he says in "Tombstone",  "Law and Order everytime"!
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 11:28:36 AM »
That's very cool. Meeting him in Pendleton was a real highlight to me, even though I knew there were others here who know him well.

I've only got 22 years on, by the way, but I'm sure I'll be close to 40 too before I'm done. 

CC Griff

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
SSS #573

Offline Texas Lawdog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 04:44:05 PM »
I'll see Buck at the Stock Show in Fort Worth in about a month. He always does a Poster for the Stock Show every year.  I 'm sure I'll check his display to see if he's got any new prints for sale.

Offline The Elderly Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 05:52:08 PM »
Dub Taylor will always live in my memory for speaking the first words in "The Wild Bunch": "Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou nor thy sons with thee, lest ye shall die." The lesson never took with me, though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com