Author Topic: .455 dimensions  (Read 1572 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.455 dimensions
« on: September 15, 2011, 06:35:30 PM »
There's been a lot of good stuff on the forum re: the dimensions of .455 brass of various mks and makes, bores sizes, etc.

Here's what Smith's book of 'Pistols & Revolvers' has to say on the topic:

"This was the heavy British service revolver cartridge at the beginning of WW II. The cartridge measures 1.23" loaded. The case has a head diameter of .528", body diameter of .475" and measures .77" in length.
The bullet weighs 265 grs and is loaded with lead lead or metal cased bullet.; conical in shape and has a base diameter of .457".
Muzzle velocity is about 600 fps, energy about 212 ft. lbs."

Note the specific reference to "... at the beginning of WW II ...". So, any .455 case that approximates these dimensions and chambers in your revolver is within spec.

The quoted ballistics are not very impressive, but the round must have been easily controllable by inexperienced shooters. I think I once read something that the bullet was known to tip and tumble in soft tissue, making it an effective man stopper. Could just be the stuff of legend. You'd need to fire some into ballistic gelatin to prove it one way or the other.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com