Author Topic: Zoot Shooters-Ya got to be kiddin' me!  (Read 53457 times)

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Zoot Shooters-Ya got to be kiddin' me!
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2011, 10:49:45 AM »
SHB

You referring to the pistol or the grip adapter?

When they become readily available again (the Tyler T-grip, that is), somebody let us know.

P.J.,

Yes.   ;)

First, I want the revolver, then I could put a Grip Adapter on it.

Somewhere in my spare parts bin, I still have my original Tyler unit that fit on my Colt Diamondback.  I had gotten a set of Pachmayer grips for it and had taken the grip adapter off of it ... and then, around 1981, my apartment was broken into, and the Colt and a bunch of jewelry plus some of my record albums were no more.  My Diamondback was one of only 5,000 made (I read somewhere) with the uncommon 2.5" barrel.  I still have the original wood grips for it, too.   That grip adapter and wood grips sure made a comfortable set-up.

:'(

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline The Hustler

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2011, 05:58:32 PM »
The rules also state:
Any .32 or larger caliber pistol, .32 or larger pistol cartridge firing rifle (straight cased; eg, .351 Winchester) and 20 gauge or larger shotgun produced before 1939 or replica of such may be used as primary guns in AZSA matches

We changed the rules to include the 1940s. The website has not been completely updated but there is a blog about it and the changes were made to the mission statement. AZSA now covers January 1, 1920 - December 31, 1949. The .32 caliber or larger pistol cartridge rule still applies.

Offline Charles Isaac

• Grand Army of the Frontier
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2011, 08:39:46 PM »
When they become readily available again (the Tyler T-grip, that is), somebody let us know.
Tylers first came around in the 1950's and the only grip adapters I know of prior to that were the factory Smith & Wesson adapters manufactured for the Registered Magnum due to the sharp recoil of the early and original hot .357 loads and a lot of bruised middle fingers from that N Frame trigger guard.

http://buy.gunauction.com/10465842/smith-and-wesson--registered-magnum-357mississippi-state-policeno-resv

1938 S&W Registered Magnum

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 09:04:56 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2011, 10:39:15 AM »
I believe that Patton used such a device on his .357 magnum.

These need to be offered today as well.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2011, 02:23:33 PM »

There's really nothing like seeing a Thompson spitting cases unless your the one shooting it ::)  I'm going to acquire my own semi-auto Thompson and play Zoot Suit too.
I priced a "Mint" 1943 build, never issued military Thompson this past weekend for a measly $16,995.  What a bargain :o  Think I'll have to settle for a new build semi-auto.  I already have the nickel plate 1911 (like Frank Nitti) and a model 12 Riot.  I'm IN ;D

Coffinmaker 

Offline Border Ruffian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2011, 05:36:17 PM »
There's really nothing like seeing a Thompson spitting cases unless your the one shooting it ::)  I'm going to acquire my own semi-auto Thompson and play Zoot Suit too.
I priced a "Mint" 1943 build, never issued military Thompson this past weekend for a measly $16,995.  What a bargain :o  Think I'll have to settle for a new build semi-auto.  I already have the nickel plate 1911 (like Frank Nitti) and a model 12 Riot.  I'm IN ;D

Coffinmaker 

Here's my old model 12 made in 1914.  Sometime in the 50s I think the recoil pad and PolyChoke were added.

vv
http://oldschoolguns.blogspot.com/  A place for Classic Firearms

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2011, 08:35:45 AM »
Who refinished your footlocker?

I got another zoot gun a few weeks ago. It's a 5 1/2" M-1905 S&W Hand Ejector and was built in 1910. It shoots pretty nice but I'm going to have to learn a new grip for it.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Border Ruffian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
Who refinished your footlocker?

I got another zoot gun a few weeks ago. It's a 5 1/2" M-1905 S&W Hand Ejector and was built in 1910. It shoots pretty nice but I'm going to have to learn a new grip for it.

The big one is a camphor wood trunk that belonged to my grandparents.  The tool box that the shotgun is on is something i picked up at a yard sale and use as a period style shooting box.  Neither refinished AFAIK.  I really like the 1905 HE, very nice gun, Congrats!

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2011, 11:54:47 AM »
Does the smaller one have tool dividers in it? I ask because it sure looks a lot like the 1870's cavalry footlocker. How long ago did you buy it?

Offline Border Ruffian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2011, 06:50:32 PM »
Does the smaller one have tool dividers in it? I ask because it sure looks a lot like the 1870's cavalry footlocker. How long ago did you buy it?

I bought it about two years ago, here's a pic of the inside with my BP stuff inside.  I just bought it as an old wood box, I suppose it could be a repurposed foot locker.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2011, 09:46:56 PM »
Looks like there are traces of blue paint around the inside of the lip. I'm almost certain it's an 1870's small cavalry footlocker. Thanks for posting the pix! Could you go to http://www.grandarmyofthefrontier.org/ Then open the history page. Inside it is the Fort Union footlocker plans. Could you look and see if the dimensions are close.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2011, 07:48:43 AM »
It's a cool box no matter what - and if it proves to BE one of the old footlockers, so much the better!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Beauregard Hooligan

• CAS-L Moderator
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Cas City Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2011, 03:39:29 AM »
I thought I might post an opinion on Zoot Suits. I read through the posts, and I'm glad there are people who are want to be involved in this form of shooting. I greatly respect Marshall Halloway, he and I have been friends since the old days of the list; there is not a finer man on the planet. But, I don't have a clue as to why this new form of shooting should have a home here, or why it's liked to CAS at all. We dress up and shoot guns, wow, what a concept. What's next, Eskimo Canoe Shooting? I am not even a supporter of the Wild Bunch concept, as picked up CAS because I was fed up with IPSC and the 1911s and wanted to use single action revolvers. I can see having a WB side match from time to time, but if I have to be on a posse with guys and gals shooting 1911s, I will pick up my marbles and find a new game. I'm also, and have been since around 1994, a vociferous opponent of the mouse fart loads, checkered grips and the short stroke modifications to the '66s and '73s when they finally showed up. CAS was a good game years ago until people who wanted to win at any cost managed to get a fingernail under the door; it's been a steady ration of horse apples since. If folks want to shoot Zoot, fine. This is the Marshall's board, and he wants to give it a home here, that's fine by me. I'd kill an entire zip code if they messed with him.  ;D But, I won't visit here again, and won't be taking up Zoot Shooting, or Eskimo Canoe Shooting. ???
My Cas City Profile: http://www.cascity.com/posseprofiles/beauhooligan/
SASS Life * NMLRA * NRA Life * Deputy of CAS-L * River City Regulators * Mother Lode Shootist Society * Murietta Posse, WASA #56.
Stockton, Ca.

Offline Border Ruffian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2011, 08:37:16 AM »
I thought I might post an opinion on Zoot Suits. I read through the posts, and I'm glad there are people who are want to be involved in this form of shooting. I greatly respect Marshall Halloway, he and I have been friends since the old days of the list; there is not a finer man on the planet. But, I don't have a clue as to why this new form of shooting should have a home here, or why it's liked to CAS at all. We dress up and shoot guns, wow, what a concept. What's next, Eskimo Canoe Shooting? I am not even a supporter of the Wild Bunch concept, as picked up CAS because I was fed up with IPSC and the 1911s and wanted to use single action revolvers. I can see having a WB side match from time to time, but if I have to be on a posse with guys and gals shooting 1911s, I will pick up my marbles and find a new game. I'm also, and have been since around 1994, a vociferous opponent of the mouse fart loads, checkered grips and the short stroke modifications to the '66s and '73s when they finally showed up. CAS was a good game years ago until people who wanted to win at any cost managed to get a fingernail under the door; it's been a steady ration of horse apples since. If folks want to shoot Zoot, fine. This is the Marshall's board, and he wants to give it a home here, that's fine by me. I'd kill an entire zip code if they messed with him.  ;D But, I won't visit here again, and won't be taking up Zoot Shooting, or Eskimo Canoe Shooting. ???

Sorry you feel that way, See ya around the joint!

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2011, 04:27:53 PM »
Don't hold back, Beauregard Hooligan - tell us how you really feel! I share your angst over the way SASS has allowed CAS to degenerate into IPSC in Cowboy Boots.

Anybody recall giving the gentlemen an invite to shoot a 1911 ala "Wild Bunch"? I too am an IPSC burn out (for want of another term) but that came about when it ceased to be 'practical'. I still think in terms of the Jeff Cooper school of thought - pistolcraft as a martial arts form and have an abiding regard for my 'bottom feeding' 1911s.

The originators of the WB concept did a wise thing by establishing two categories - one for tricked out guns and another that allows the mods defined by Cooper as useful and essential for functional reliability.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Nokose Fixico

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 32152
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2012, 06:32:09 AM »
I personally see the Zoot Shooting as crazy insaine and I like it. But I am not a double breasted pin stripe suit wearing kinda guy. I would be the man who shows to shoot in bib overalls, button down shirt, blazer, flop hat, and brogans. Yes like Jed Clampett, I would have to potray a shine cooker, dealer, or driver. As for pre 1950 firearms I think I have that covered except for the tommy gun.
Bob "Nokose" Fixico

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2012, 06:17:40 AM »
I personally see the Zoot Shooting as crazy insaine and I like it. But I am not a double breasted pin stripe suit wearing kinda guy. I would be the man who shows to shoot in bib overalls, button down shirt, blazer, flop hat, and brogans. Yes like Jed Clampett, I would have to potray a shine cooker, dealer, or driver. As for pre 1950 firearms I think I have that covered except for the tommy gun.
You sound a lot like me I'm figuring I'm a small time cooker and driver. I do have the Tommy covered though....and the Cimmaron 1911 and the 1905 Smith.. and the leverguns. But boy there are some way cool other guns showing up here on the forum that I haven't even ever seen before.

Offline Nokose Fixico

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2012, 06:26:45 AM »
Agree Sir, I agree. I have a RIA 1911 works good for me. I wife gave me the nod to find a tommy after taxes. So I will shop and choose wisely to save my butt. But my only problem is finding a group or starting one here, closest one is Tennessee. That would be a haul for me.
Bob "Nokose" Fixico

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2012, 08:55:48 AM »
Yeah there aren't any mobs near me either. Fortunately for me my home cowboy club is an independent, and welcomes other action shooting disiplines like GAF and AZSA.

I've noticed the uniform you're wearing in your avitar. Have you considered joining GAF and shooting the Expansion Era side matches. Membership is free.

Offline Nokose Fixico

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2012, 04:27:29 PM »
Yes there are several SASS groups in the Carolina's I have shot with a few. I am not sure if there is a standing GAF detachments here that meet regular or irregular. I am semi retired but my road trips between the house in Charleston SC the farm in the Upstate of SC my Rez Runs to the other side of the Qualla Line, my "Work" in Fayetteville NC I am really all over the place here. I am tired of driving. Praying the Boss allows me to fully retire soon so.

The avatar was last spring I was suiting up for a possible wildbunch shoot but that did not happen but made for a good picture. I think I registered with GAF but I can not remember right now if I did or not so will do in a few because I am having a slow day today.
Bob "Nokose" Fixico

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com