Author Topic: Zoot Shooters-Ya got to be kiddin' me!  (Read 53323 times)

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Zoot Shooters-Ya got to be kiddin' me!
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2011, 08:24:24 PM »
  Any chance of the Zoot Shooters moving to a wider selection of rifles? 

I don't know anything about the rules of Zoot Shooting, but it seems like A Remington Model 8 would be a natural.

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2011, 10:25:33 AM »
Hi y'all

I own enough 1911's to shoot this, I can afford a model 97 or a double barreled shotgun, but I've handled a semiautomatic Tommy gun and it's not something I'd buy.  Any chance of the Zoot Shooters moving to a wider selection of rifles? 

Mike
Wichita KS
I think we discussed opening it up to model '94's but I don't remember whatever became of the suggestion
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Border Ruffian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2011, 04:40:30 PM »
I'll bet your neighbors get a kick out of your photo sessions! :o    ;D

PS:  What ARE you wearing? :)

My Neighbors are even worse than me :D  The jacket is an old brown canvas one from a thrift store.  Inside is says "Durban Clothing Company"
http://oldschoolguns.blogspot.com/  A place for Classic Firearms

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 06:20:45 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2011, 06:55:25 PM »
Lemme get this straight .....

A CAS shooter in a sport (that USED to be Cowboy) that tolerates pop gun loads, slicked up SAA clones and short stroke lever guns has issues with Zoot Shooters and their REAL guns that shoot REAL ammo? What's wrong with this picture?

Kind of reminds of the early days of 'Combat Pistol' and rifle shooting ala Jeff Cooper. Here in Canuckistan, our biggest enemies were the bulls eye pistol shooters, trap shooters and the old boy 'Regimental tie' set that shoot service rifles to a thousand yards. They regarded us as a threat as we shot from the leather with real loads. It was the 'enemy within' syndrome.

Anyone that go 100 straight on a trap or clays range is a pretty deadly man with a gun. Same for a target rifle shooter capable of bulls eye hits at 1000 yards. That's a 'sniper' by another name. We had to point out to them that a gun is a gun; any shooting sport is valid. The anti-gunners don't differentiate.

Personally, I like the idea of a double breasted suit, brown fedora, Springfield .30-'06, Win '97 and a 1911 or Colt NS. Got the guns and the clothes. Just don't got the opportunity.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2011, 10:31:01 PM »
Lemme get this straight .....

A CAS shooter in a sport (that USED to be Cowboy) that tolerates pop gun loads, slicked up SAA clones and short stroke lever guns has issues with Zoot Shooters and their REAL guns that shoot REAL ammo? What's wrong with this picture?

Kind of reminds of the early days of 'Combat Pistol' and rifle shooting ala Jeff Cooper. Here in Canuckistan, our biggest enemies were the bulls eye pistol shooters, trap shooters and the old boy 'Regimental tie' set that shoot service rifles to a thousand yards. They regarded us as a threat as we shot from the leather with real loads. It was the 'enemy within' syndrome.

Anyone that go 100 straight on a trap or clays range is a pretty deadly man with a gun. Same for a target rifle shooter capable of bulls eye hits at 1000 yards. That's a 'sniper' by another name. We had to point out to them that a gun is a gun; any shooting sport is valid. The anti-gunners don't differentiate.

Personally, I like the idea of a double breasted suit, brown fedora, Springfield .30-'06, Win '97 and a 1911 or Colt NS. Got the guns and the clothes. Just don't got the opportunity.
Amen Brother PJ! You got that right! They/we were listing links to our sports before the Marshall gave AZSA it's own forum here. We gotta all stick together or the anti's will shut us all down!

1961MJS

« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2011, 01:01:18 PM »
I don't know anything about the rules of Zoot Shooting, but it seems like A Remington Model 8 would be a natural.

Hi

From the AZSA website:

"Matches may include any 1939 or older (replicas included) “guest guns” of any caliber in their caper designs so long as every match participant uses it. These guns must be made familiar to any participant before its use. Guest guns may exceed ammunition requirements and must always be used in a safe manner (eg, do not shoot a .30-06 rifle at close range steel targets!)"

I'm not wealthy and buying a Thompson is about 1123th on my list of things to go buy.  Dad had to "fire for familiarity" before going overseas and he said it wasn't easy to shoot accurately.  I can't afford a Class III, but I don't really want the semi-automatic version either.  The 1911's I have and the double barrelled shotgun would work for CAS, NCOWS, and AZSA. 

If someone brings one, I'll shoot it though.

Mike
Wichita KS

Offline Sod Buster

• My Barn, My Rules
  • Top Active Citizen
  • What happens in the Barn - Stays in the Barn
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2011, 01:28:25 PM »
From the AZSA website:

"Matches may include any 1939 or older (replicas included) “guest guns” of any caliber in their caper designs so long as every match participant uses it. These guns must be made familiar to any participant before its use. Guest guns may exceed ammunition requirements and must always be used in a safe manner (eg, do not shoot a .30-06 rifle at close range steel targets!)"

The rules also state:
Any .32 or larger caliber pistol, .32 or larger pistol cartridge firing rifle (straight cased; eg, .351 Winchester) and 20 gauge or larger shotgun produced before 1939 or replica of such may be used as primary guns in AZSA matches
SASS #49789L, NCOWS #2493, RATS #122, WARTHOGS, SBSS, SCORRS, STORM #287
ROII, NRA RSO, NRA Benefactor, VSSA Life

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2011, 10:30:45 AM »
My pard (I only know him here) Crow Choker is basically worried about "watering down" this great board.  He's allowed.

He ... as well as the rest of us are also allowed to ignore any sub-board that the individual has no interest in.  Ain't freedom wunnerful?

As to the Zooters, I personally find it pretty interesting, 'tho I doubt I'll ever have enough intere$t of ca$h to get into the sport.  My main issue is that we, as freedom-loving Americans, SHOULD (IMHO) embrace any safe, reasonable shooting sport that furthers the 2nd Amendment.  Our freedoms are under serious attack, both here in America and abroad by groups who wish to destroy OUR way of life; i.e. NATO.  Among others. 

"We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately."  Benj. Franklin

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_said_'Gentlemen_we_must_all_hang_together_or_we_shall_most_assuredly_all_hang_separately'_and_why#ixzz1ZM2sM0xv

As said by PJ, "the anti-gunners don't differentiate."  They hate ALL guns and they don't feel that we should have the rights guaranteed us.  In THEIR opinion, only THEY have rights and we're all unwashed hicks who can't decide right from wrong and that the Government can and will provide all the protection we need.
 ::)

"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
My pard (I only know him here) Crow Choker is basically worried about "watering down" this great board.  He's allowed.

He ... as well as the rest of us are also allowed to ignore any sub-board that the individual has no interest in.  Ain't freedom wunnerful?
I agree he's allowed, and he was respectful in his dissenting opinion. However; I do disagree with more that just that the Zoot page should go away. That other exception is that Crow Choker stated  Zoot shooters have their own forums. As near as I can find that is incorrect. All the other Zoot boards I can find are child boards established by the good will of the board owner, just like here at CASCity. I only hope I've been as respectful of Crow Choker in my differing opinion as he was in stating his.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2011, 08:49:07 PM »
Wildman 1

Names? Did I miss something here? Who called you what?
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2011, 07:38:57 PM »
"Brown nosing"? Well, were you? Not that it matters. A lot of character assassins like to hide behind their keyboards saying things they wouldn't dare say to a man's face. But sayin' something don't make it so.

Don't git yer knickers in a knot over anyone's comment re: your character. Your friends know you for what and who you are and like you any way ... ;>)

Peace, brothers! Let's fight the enemy, not each other.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2011, 11:03:07 AM »
Care for a little cheese with that w(h)ine? 

If this is all you've got to occupy your mind, life's pretty good. Of course, you could always call out the offender and settle it in a manly fashion.

I spent last summer getting radiation treatments for cancer. Took me the better part of a year to recover and get back on my feet.
Several folks I met at the clinic are looking up from the sod.

EVERY day is a good day and damn any man what has anything to say about me - good or bad! Opinions are like (__*__)s - everyone's got one. Life is too short to suffer fools.

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2011, 02:04:13 PM »
I would love to try shooting zoot suit. The thing holding me back is equipment and a club near me having events. I started with SASS and I will stick with it, but I also shoot W3G and have a lot of fun with that too, but I don't have the equipment for shooting wild bunch, but I don't care if anyone else does. I like how folks have costumed up for wild bunch and zoot shooting.
In short, if someone wants to shoot a certain discipline, has the equipment and a place to do that, more power to them and it is another shooting sport. Anything that can use firearms in a safe and sane manner has to be fun, fun, fun.

Now, why folks that aren't interested don't skip over this section on the website, I have no idea. Myself, I only click onto the sections that interest me, like this and I still enjoy the Marshal's website and all the time he spends on it and he doesn't even charge me.  ;D

yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2011, 08:34:29 PM »
WM

I wasn't inferring that you said anything disparaging about me or otherwise, but I guess I was too subtle. I was merely suggesting that you adopt my attitude regarding criticism and the opinions others may have of you.

Meanwhile, backattheranch .... I installed a Pachmayr grip adapter on my Colt NS today. What a difference! I can actually pull the trigger in DA mode and the grip in SA makes cocking the hammer much easier than before. Only mistake Colt made in the design was the grip. Oh, and that hellish strong v-spring in the action.

Offline Border Ruffian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2011, 02:43:51 PM »
WM

Meanwhile, backattheranch .... I installed a Pachmayr grip adapter on my Colt NS today. What a difference! I can actually pull the trigger in DA mode and the grip in SA makes cocking the hammer much easier than before. Only mistake Colt made in the design was the grip. Oh, and that hellish strong v-spring in the action.

I like grip adapters too! This is a Tyler t-grip on a S&W Brazilian Navy 1917 45 ACP.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Tyler-T
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2011, 10:10:14 PM »
Border Ruffian

Like your gun - a lot! I want one of those grip adapters for my NS. The Pachmayr works but it looks like what it is - a cheap piece of plastic I paid $20 for!

I've got the Tyler-T grip info at hand, but I've heard they are long on cashing cheques and short on delivering the goods. Are they back in full production with reasonable delivery time?

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2011, 08:20:33 AM »
No - not at all...

Your best bet in locating one will be at a gun show or on ebay.

Good Luck.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Border Ruffian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Tyler-T
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2011, 05:22:27 PM »
Border Ruffian

Like your gun - a lot! I want one of those grip adapters for my NS. The Pachmayr works but it looks like what it is - a cheap piece of plastic I paid $20 for!

I've got the Tyler-T grip info at hand, but I've heard they are long on cashing cheques and short on delivering the goods. Are they back in full production with reasonable delivery time?

I bought mine about 4 years ago. They were prompt and I was satisfied with thier service.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2011, 08:10:53 PM »
I like grip adapters too! This is a Tyler t-grip on a S&W Brazilian Navy 1917 45 ACP.

I want one JUST like this one!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2011, 10:23:47 AM »
SHB

You referring to the pistol or the grip adapter?

When they become readily available again (the Tyler T-grip, that is), somebody let us know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com