Author Topic: Rowdy, my 44WCF, USFA  (Read 6471 times)

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rowdy, my 44WCF, USFA
« on: September 12, 2011, 11:29:03 PM »
The 'smudges' are lube...I keep my guns exceptionally lubed and didn't wipe the revolver down for the photo. But ya can get the idea,,the case colors on this USFA are brilliant.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Rowdy, my 44WCF, USFA
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 05:33:54 PM »
marshal
That is a fine looking pistol . I bet it will be a real shooter also .

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 01:08:08 AM »
Rowdy, I apologize for not wiping the lubricant off totally , just didnt realize that it'd show in the photograph....and I am a hideous photographer anyways. But I've shot the 44special cylinder and man o' man,,does she shoot,,,,,directly to poa but about 1' high at 15 yds..just about how I like them.

Since I have never owned a 44WCF,,,I have dies and brass on order as we speak and will let you know how the 44WFC cylinder does,,but I expect it preform very well too.

MD

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:35:26 AM »

Offline Deadeye Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Deadeye & His Belle
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 08:51:57 AM »
Marshal,
Beside having that beautiful USFA you will become addicted to the 44-40 cartridge. Next thing you know you will have to have a rifle in 44-40 too.
Deadeye Dick
NRA LIFE, NCOWS #3270, BLACK POWDER WARTHOG, STORM #254,
  DIRTY RATS #411, HENRY #139, PM KEIZER LODGE #219  AF&AM

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 05:40:59 PM »
Deadeye - you're right about that.  I've got 2 USFA SAA's in 44-40 and a USFA Lightning in 44-40.  It don't get no better!  Especially when you load 'em all with BP!

In fact, my photo below is taken with the Lightning making smoke.
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 10:07:37 PM »
I don't understand why more CAS shooters dont shoot Lightenings ?

I outta have shot some 44WCF by next weekend.

MD

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 08:13:10 AM »
MD,

Lightnings have a reputation for being finicky about cartridge feeding.  I think the other part of it is that the new ones have been built in 45LC and 357 primarily.  Those are really finicky to get to feed properly, being a straight walled case.  The Lightning action is very short and compact, making the geometry tight to get the cartridge to tip over off the carrier and into the chamber properly. Mine is a 44-40 and even with that I had to have some expert tuning done on the rifle.  I spoke to Gary Granger of USFA when I bought mine, and he told me he would never buy a Lightning chambered for a straight walled case, no matter who built it.

I've read that the Pedersoli version has some internal modifications that make them run much better out of the box, but haven't had the chance to try one.  However, I'm a true American chauvinist and will only buy American products if anyone here builds what I want.

That being said, I bought mine and by the time I got it running right I have about $2,000 invested in it.  But dang, it sure is fun!  I think it will become my main match rifle.
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 12:47:54 PM »
Aggie,,that's why I've bought my USFA's. Not that the Italian guns aren't pretty good themselves,,or can not be 'made'  to run good.........it's just I'd rather pitch my dollars behind an American worker if there is an American Co. making what I want.

I DID buy a RM Conversion....as I didn't see anything like what I wanted being made in America. I know I could have my Colt second gen converted to a Richards,,but that wasn't exactly the style conversion I wanted. I'd LOVE for USFA to build Colt RM conversions.......or better yet,,a '73Winchester in 44-40. I'd mortgage the house to buy one of those.

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 07:46:59 PM »
Marshall,
USFA did make RM conversions, way back when.  This was back in the 90's when they were still using Uberti parts.  My understanding is that there were only about 35 or 40 of them ever produced.  I have one of them.  It is a .38 cal. 1851 Navy conversion.  It is pictured on the USFA web site under "Custom Shop/Custom Shop Guns."
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
Marshall,

I'm with you on the '73 in 44-40.  We'd have to scuffle to see who was first in line to plunk down the money!
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 12:50:22 AM »
Marshal
Be Proud you bought a USA made pistol . Wish every red blooded American could . Maybe that's what the Patriot act should be about ???

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 01:56:49 PM »
Marshal
Looks like if you want an American made 1873 in 44wcf . Then you will need to buy an Original . I seen a 38-40 half Octagon in pretty fair shape for $1200 . It was a shooter .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com