Author Topic: "Mattie - Wyatt Earp's Secret Second Wife" - E.C. Meyers  (Read 6431 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"Mattie - Wyatt Earp's Secret Second Wife" - E.C. Meyers
« on: September 10, 2011, 09:07:05 PM »
My wife just finished and passed on to me a copy of the above book. Looks like an interesting read, dispelling the Hollywood 'good guy' image of the Earp family and their women.

Dyed in the wool Earp fans (ala the Kevin Costner movie version) are not going to be impressed with the light shed on the dark side of the Earp story, preferring the legend to the facts.

Paraphrasing John Ford (?): "When history and legend collide, go with the legend."
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline mestiza letty

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: "Mattie - Wyatt Earp's Secret Second Wife" - E.C. Meyers
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 09:48:22 PM »
PJ....
Hollywood don't care if the said "previous version" of the Earp family legend is in concoerdance. If they can present the "newer and truer" screenplay with enough $$$ backing it might fly. I sure hope so...far too many computer images have replaced good film as of late that passes for action films....So yes....
LONG LIVE COWBOYS
Don't wear out yer shirt collar lookin' fer the hindsight
~Eddie Adamek~ Trick Roper
NRA, SCORRS, RATS #518

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 11:43:18 AM »
What about his second wife was "secret"? I have the book "I married Wyatt Earp", which I thought was written by his second wife.
I thought she was the one portrayed in the Kurt Russell movie, with which I am more familiar, compared to the Costner movie.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:48:04 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 09:07:37 PM »
Old Doc

You're right, the Costner movie did a credible job of portraying Mattie for what she was - a "soiled dove".

I think the real 'secret' the book is about is looking behind the Hollywood facade of the Earps as being upstanding lawmen instead of the gambling saloon keepers they really were.

Read the book. Come to your own conclusions.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 07:12:58 AM »
Is Mattie the same as Josie? My book purports to be the memoir of Josephine Sarah Marcus Earp, whom they refer to as Josie.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 10:44:48 AM »
I'll ask 'Miz Josie' (aka as my wife) when she gets home from school today. I believe that the lady in question was Earp's last (3rd 'wife').
My wife chose 'Miz Josie' as there is some evidence that she had a female ancestor (Josephine Nachtigall) who was an indentured Hurdy Gurdy Girl during our Cariboo Gold Rush. Then she discovered to her delight the Earp connection!

Now students who have seen her picture in the paper making smoke defer to her with respect; but none daring to call her anything but "Miz B".

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
Mattie Blaylock was Wyatt's second "wife".  Josie/Sadie Marcus was his third.

I believe that "I Married Wyatt Earp" had some credibility issues and is often classified as fiction.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 10:40:14 AM »
E.C. Meyers, author of the latest book on Mattie really did his research. He had lots of credibility concerns re: earlier biographical books on the Earps, the evidence suggesting that Wyatt fed authors what he wanted recorded.

What authors couldn't refute or verify, they printed as gospel and/or filled in the blanks to suit. Some things never change .....

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 04:40:58 PM »
Mattie Blaylock was Wyatt's second "wife".  Josie/Sadie Marcus was his third.

I believe that "I Married Wyatt Earp" had some credibility issues and is often classified as fiction.

CC Griff

Wyatt Earp was never formerly marrried to Mattie Blaylock.

Josephine Marcus Earp, although never formerly married to Wyatt Earp, spent the rest of her life after Wyatt Earp died, trying to polish Wyatt Earp's reputation.

The Marcus book has many fictional sequences in it, as do all books about famous westerners of that era. Read Stewart Lake's book about Wyatt Earp, if you want to read fictional prose. Lake couldn't get his book published, due to Josephine Marcus Earp's opposition, until after she died in 1944.

Both Wyatt Earp and Josephine Marcus Earp, had severe addictions to gambling.

One thing that I don't understand, is why people demand their western heros to always be the guy in the white had...! Nobody, then, or now, can stand up to the scrutiny that readers want to subject their heros too. They were men, subject to all the temptations and vissitudes that all of us are subjected too.

Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com