Author Topic: How many magazines???  (Read 7603 times)

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How many magazines???
« on: September 10, 2011, 02:53:57 PM »
I have not yet shot a Wild bunch match, but i am looking foreward to doing so. I haven't quite got my piggy bank full enough to buy the 1911 that I want. I have one question though. I am starting on the belt for the 1911 and want to know, how many magazines do you normally carry? I have seen anywhere from two to five on a belt. Just how many are really needed? Also, I have a preference for flap holsters for the 1911. Are they a hinderence during a match? Is there a necessity for quick access to the gun that a flap holster would incumber?
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: How many magazines???
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 03:54:35 PM »
I have been carrying 4 on my belt but am going up to 6.  That will give me a total of 7 on the line.  Usually they are not all needed BUT, a dropped magazine is dead.

Drifter

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 08:41:42 AM »
A lot of my holsters are flapped. Fold the flap over and tuck it in behind the belt when you're ready to shoot.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:00:19 AM »

Offline Grizzly Adams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 09:21:37 AM »
I carry six mags on the belt, and frequently use all of them! ;D   I see very few flap style holsters as folks quickly discover that they are a "hinderance."  That said, they do get style points. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Veteran!
COMNAVFORV, NRA life, SASS Life, TG, STORM Rider #36.
GAF

Offline kingsnake

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 09:24:35 AM »
I carry 6 mags on my gunbelt and take a 7th to the loading table to put in the 1911. I figure more is better as you never know when you may fumble one or one jump out of your belt when moving really fast.  ;)

Since you only draw from holster once per stage, the flap holster won't cost you much time if you tuck the flap back as suggested.

KingSnake

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 11:22:34 AM »
Six is minimum these days.  As WB has evolved, longer pistol strings have become more the norm.

However, bare in mind that a magazine pouch is limited to TWO pockets.  So, as you figure your load-out, do it in base 2.

Offline cpt dan blodgett

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS Conv 2013
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 09:23:12 PM »
Darn good thing I no longer have a 30 inch waist.

The pistol and 3 mag pouches eat up a lot of belt
Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 08:30:36 AM »
OK, if I got this right, you want six on the belt and one in the tube when you go to the line, but its not set in stone that it will be enuff??  To expand on this a bit, I have read somewhere in the last few days where shotgun misses are not made up in WB??  Why would extra shotgun shells be needed, seems like I see lots of  belt mounted spare shot shells for a gun that is pre-loaded and no make-ups allowed??  One or two rifle spares seem pretty common on the belts also, I assume one can replace a jacked out round??  Sounds like there must be some creative stage writers out there who can challenge any normal carry arrangement?   ???

Offline kingsnake

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 04:22:52 PM »
OK, if I got this right, you want six on the belt and one in the tube when you go to the line, but its not set in stone that it will be enuff??  To expand on this a bit, I have read somewhere in the last few days where shotgun misses are not made up in WB??  Why would extra shotgun shells be needed, seems like I see lots of  belt mounted spare shot shells for a gun that is pre-loaded and no make-ups allowed??  One or two rifle spares seem pretty common on the belts also, I assume one can replace a jacked out round??  Sounds like there must be some creative stage writers out there who can challenge any normal carry arrangement?   ???
Most pistol rounds I've shot on one stage is 30 = 6 mags. However, if you have a malfunction and pop out the mag to clear, you need an extra mag. Or if you accidently drop a mag to the shelf or ground, you need an extra mag. Or if you move fast a mag may "fly" out of your mag pouch and hit the ground, you need an extra mag. So 6 +1 is what I carry.
You are right that shotgun misses are not made-up, however, I've shot stages with 8 shotgun targets. Also, if you jack out an un-fired shotgun shell you can reload one. My pistol belt has room fo 4 extra shotgun shells and 4 extra rifle rounds.

KingSsnake

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 01:13:48 PM »
Most pistol rounds I've shot on one stage is 30 = 6 mags. However, if you have a malfunction and pop out the mag to clear, you need an extra mag. Or if you accidently drop a mag to the shelf or ground, you need an extra mag. Or if you move fast a mag may "fly" out of your mag pouch and hit the ground, you need an extra mag. So 6 +1 is what I carry.
You are right that shotgun misses are not made-up, however, I've shot stages with 8 shotgun targets. Also, if you jack out an un-fired shotgun shell you can reload one. My pistol belt has room fo 4 extra shotgun shells and 4 extra rifle rounds.

KingSsnake

There is iron in Kingsnake's words.

Offline Garand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 10:00:56 AM »
I have been carrying 4 on my belt but am going up to 6.  That will give me a total of 7 on the line.  Usually they are not all needed BUT, a dropped magazine is dead.

Drifter

Geez I quit IPSC after 10 years to get away from this B$. Next thing they will be importing is the stuck up attitude some in that discipline have developed. Hopefully for the sport, it will evolve with common sense.
SASS # 93688
aka Dapper Dynamite Dick

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 12:49:52 PM »
Geez I quit IPSC after 10 years to get away from this B$. Next thing they will be importing is the stuck up attitude some in that discipline have developed. Hopefully for the sport, it will evolve with common sense.
Having never shot IPSC I'm not clear what you are refering to as B$ ??? FWIW I carry four mags, if a stage calls for more than four I'll just have to stick a couple in my vest pocket, I don't want more than that on my belt. IMHO a six mag stage is a bit too much, maybe one per match, but each to his own. I write the stages for our WB matches with input from others, so far we have kept them to 20 rounds or less, some stages 10, some 15, and some 20. WB is fun and we are having a blast. Good Luck :)

Jefro :D Relax-Enjoy
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com