Author Topic: Cimarron Pietta "Thunderball 8"  (Read 8769 times)

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cimarron Pietta "Thunderball 8"
« on: September 06, 2011, 05:29:08 PM »
I recently had the good fortune to pick up a Pietta revolver imported by Cimarron called the "Thunderball 8" and I'd like to share my experience.  The firearm is a 3.5" SAA clone with an ejector rod and a "birds head" grip.  Beautiful checkered one piece walnut grips are mounted.  The finish is a high polish deep royal blue with actual case coloring on the frame and hammer.  The dealer had a twin for this in polished stainless steel with a standard plow grip.

Pietta has really cranked up their quality with these Cimarron imports.  The action is buttery smooth with a very nice and light hammer spring.

I was visiting 3 B Shooting Supply to pick up some guns there being worked on.  The Thunderball caught my eye due to the very nice finish and grips.  After handling her and thumbing the action, there was no way I could put it down.  I kept asking the dealer if it had an action job and he reassured me, all the Cimarron/Piettas come from the factory that smooth.

Cimarron made a good choice in adding these Pietta revolers to their line up.  Pietta has recently made some upgrades in both their quality and function departments.   This revolver really changed my opinion about Pietta's quality.  

I would dare to say this revolver is the nicest current production SAA clone on the market.

NCOWS is my usual haunt, and this revolver will not be approved due to the non-period "birds head" grips.  I will still enjoy this for weekend plinking and the occasional SASS match.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Cimarron Pietta "Thunderball 8"
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 06:46:56 PM »
That's good to hear. Just recently I picked up a Cimarron Frontier by Pietta and it's a fine addition.
A work in progress.

Offline Jefro

• Top Active Citizen
  • know matter where you go, there you are
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 08:35:47 PM »
That's good to hear. Just recently I picked up a Cimarron Frontier by Pietta and it's a fine addition.

I agree, I recently got a pair of the Cimarron Pietta Frontiers. These are some really sweet six shooters, real case hardening, smooth, and dead on target. Good Luck :)

Jefro ;D Relax-Enjoy 
sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:49:28 AM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 422
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 11:12:23 AM »
I picked up a Pietta 61 Navy in a trade (it was new) the idea is/was a donor gun to build my pocket pistol.

This gun has Harford on the top of the barrel and the usual BP only  ::) & Pietta marks
The gun is quite nice, not what I expected.
Out of the box it is smooth, and has a insp. Mark on the nice black walnut 1 piece grips.

so it will be fitted for Kirst Converter, action tuned, barrel bobbed and defarbed, Hammer will be de-sirrated & Knurled
then re-blued & case colored.

It will be fed 38 Colt w/ BP and a healed bullet.  

I had been planning this conversion on a Uberti 60 Army but this Pietta was chosen because it was quite nice.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Marshall John Joseph

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 07:55:12 PM »
Not to hijack a thread, but the EMF Piettas have been around a long time. Got hold of a new pair of Pietta Great Western II Californians a few weeks ago and the fit and finish are outstanding.  The actions are smooth right out of the box.  Bluing is deep, case hardening is georgous.  Very solid.  Pietta, no matter who imports them, is doing a great job.  Look out, Uberti  ;)

MJJ

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 10:34:27 AM »
Peitta is doing a great job on their products, I recently got a couple new C&B revolvers from Cabelas and the fit and finish is much better than ones I've had several years. Not that the old ones were bad but they are just getting better. 
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com