Author Topic: The odd jobs we do.  (Read 2583 times)

Offline Raven

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ravens Roost Gunsmithing
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The odd jobs we do.
« on: August 30, 2011, 07:16:24 PM »
I was approched by a Colt collecter who owns a very rare #2 Paterson Rifle in the case with all the accessories........unfortunately the Charger Flask was missing the powder charger portion of the flask.

A complete cased set is probably worth upwards of $100,000 as there are less than a half a dozen known to exist.

My job......buld the upper half from photos and age it to match.  :P

Some of you will notice the dented nozzles....I have examined many charger flasks and they all have dented nozzles. These were caused when the flask got away from me in the drill press :-[ I thought I had probably lost a weeks worth of work but fortunately it wasn't so bad.....I couldn't have done a better job on purpose  ;D

The finishes don't look like they quite match in the photos but to the naked eye they match really well.......I think that the artificial patina and the laquer just don't photograph the same as the 171 year old natural patina.

In all the project was a very challenging and satisfying.......and I learned a lot about how Colts craftsmen put things together.

Raven

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
Re: The odd jobs we do.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 09:45:06 PM »
On an objective as well as serious note, I sure hope that the collector includes a note of provenance so that when he dies the future buyer will know that the flask is not 100% authentic.  ;)

Offline Raven

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ravens Roost Gunsmithing
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 10:00:32 PM »
On an objective as well as serious note, I sure hope that the collector includes a note of provenance so that when he dies the future buyer will know that the flask is not 100% authentic.   

On any job I do like this, I mark the internal parts so deeply with my cartouche that if anyone tried to remove them they would distroy the flask. All you have to do is open the filler port to see my Raven
It is also marked with the serial #67R......The R being for reproduction, replacement or Raven, take your pick.
I also placed a note on archival paper inside the flask.

I would like to think I do forgery quality work, but I sign everything I do.
I might be an egotist as I want credit for the work I do. I want future collectors to know who made it.

As an aside the flask is 100% authentic it just isn't 100% original.  ;D

Raven

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:55:19 PM »

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 11:06:54 PM »
It's also 100% beautiful!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com