Author Topic: Finally Got A Civi 1860  (Read 4113 times)

44caliberkid

Finally Got A Civi 1860
« on: August 30, 2011, 03:21:00 PM »
I've been trying to buy a Uberti 1860 Army Civilian version for about 4 years.   The Civilian doesn't have the shoulder stock screws (or the holes) and has a full recoil shield, no cutouts for the shoulder stock.   Buffalo Arms and Cimarron were the only ones who even listed carrying one, but they were perpetually out of stock.   I thought I had one once, but it was a model that had a brass backstrap and trigger guard and I wanted the steel back.   Finally got a Cimarron from Texas Jacks and it arrived today.
    It is beautiful.   I've gotten 3 NIB Uberti's over the years and the quality just seems to get better every year.   The polish and the blue are very bright and the stocks are a nice walnut color, just wish they'd do an oil finish instead of varnish.   I'm going to get the trigger guard silver plated and then it will be a safe queen.    Last week when I ordered they had two, so there might be one left.   Oh, and the price was less than what was listed on their website, just $289.00
   I'll try to post a pic after I clean the olive oil off.

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Finally Got A Civi 1860
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 05:55:51 PM »
Nice find !

I have a Belgium 1860 Civi three screw, made in 1959-60. it has the Silver plated backstrap/trigger guard. Mine is # C215. They only made 1000 of the civi models out of 16,000 total from 1959-1973.

No safe Queens allowed, ya gotta shoot that piece. ;)

Offline Mako

• Shooter of the "holy Black", Frontier Gunfighter #1, STORM, Henry 1860
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cowboying since the Mid-20th Century
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 06:27:58 PM »
Wooohoo!!! Congratulations...

The Uberti CA047 model is my favorite cowboy pistol.  I have more than I wish to admit.  I originally got a pair because I thought I might want to convert them and I didn't want the stock cuts.  Then I started shooting them and realized the lack of the 4th screw was also nice, didn't hit my finger or thumb and less to scratch the holsters.

The only 4 screw styles I have now with the recoil shield cuts are two original Colt's and a pair of those short barreled Piettas that Cabelas was selling.  I've gotten so used to the model you have that the other ones almost look strange to me.  Which is odd because the 4 screw models with recoil shield cuts was the most common original configuration.  You also see 3 screw models with shield cuts and 4 screw models without shield cuts.  It's not just the Italians who have a mixed bag of models with crazy mixes of features, Colt's did it too from 1860 until 1873.

I have bought a couple of pair from Texas Jack's and another pair from Buffalo Arms. Their prices used to be about the same, lately Buffalo Arms prices are a bit more. Every once in a while Texas Jack's will have a sale on their percussion revolver inventory and they will be $10 to $20 off.

Oh, and I have never seen an original Colt's 1860 with an Army size Brass BACK STRAP.  I have seen a bunch of them built in 1860 with brass NAVY size grips, but never the large grip.  I'm sure they are out there I just have never seen one.  If anyone has a picture or can link to one I would appreciate it.  I would like one as an example.

Here is a 4 screw with stock cuts and silver plated trigger guard like you want to do:

Regrds,
Mako
A brace of 1860s, a Yellowboy Saddle Rifle and a '78 Pattern Colt Scattergun
MCA, MCIA, MOAA, MCL, SMAS, ASME, SAME, BMES

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:29:54 PM »

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 06:35:27 PM »
I've got three of the civilian models. First one was an ASM I found at a gun show in Oklahoma for $80. Next up was a Uberti I found on Gunbroker for about $290 NIB. Last is one of the Centaur I got earlier this year from River Junction, ser # C704,paid way too much for it, but hey, how often do you find one.

44caliberkid

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 07:10:25 PM »
I also have two Belgian Centaurs but they are both cut shield models.   I'm betting Colt never made a brass backstrap 1860 grip, but you never know.   After talking to the lady at Texas Jacks I have the impression they get about 4 civi models, twice a year and they go fast.   The CA048 is the brass backstrap model, but they just look weird.

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 09:23:58 PM »
I had Pettifogger rebuild my Belgium. It had some major issues when I got the piece. The piece was never fired, most likely a "Safe Queen". The piece had all original parts. However the Bolt window was cut wrong and the Bolt would catch intermittent in the window. The stock nipples were much too long, upon capping the cylinder would bind and not turn. This was corrected by installing Ruger Tresco tubes. The thread size was different, so the stock threads were chasted to the proper size for the Ruger thread size. The stock hand spring was removed, the framed drilled and a Ruger coil spring & plunger installed.
Because of the short Tresco tubes the Hammer face was lengthened and dressed to the proper drop length. This also filled the Hammer face notch to prevent fired cap distortion & jams.

She is a great piece now, and a shooter. ;)

Offline Long Johns Wolf

• Top Active Citizen
  • "Centaures will make you become addicted"
    • Belgian Colt, aka Centaure, aka Centennial Army, aka "1960 NEW MODEL ARMY"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 02:06:27 AM »
Lefty Dude and the campfire: I don't want to highjack this thread but here is some interesting news from Germany regarding Centaure nipples.
Newly made beryllium nipples with proper threads (!) are now being made. They can be ordered from Jürgen Achenbach at info@vorderlader-shop.de or order@vorderlader-shop.de. Jürgen also provides nipple wrenches for these nipples.
Long Johns Wolf
BOSS 156, CRR 169 (Hon.), FROCS 2, Henry Board, SCORRS, STORM 229, SV Hofheim 1938, VDW, BDS, SASS

Offline Lefty Dude

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 10:51:36 AM »
Thanks for your post Wolf. I got your E-mail regarding the new Nipples for the belgium's. I doubt they would have fixed the problem with my piece. The original npples were just to long for the cylinder/frame.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 04:31:15 PM »
I've been trying to buy a Uberti 1860 Army Civilian version for about 4 years.   The Civilian doesn't have the shoulder stock screws (or the holes) and has a full recoil shield, no cutouts for the shoulder stock.   Buffalo Arms and Cimarron were the only ones who even listed carrying one, but they were perpetually out of stock.   I thought I had one once, but it was a model that had a brass backstrap and trigger guard and I wanted the steel back.   Finally got a Cimarron from Texas Jacks and it arrived today.
    It is beautiful.   I've gotten 3 NIB Uberti's over the years and the quality just seems to get better every year.   The polish and the blue are very bright and the stocks are a nice walnut color, just wish they'd do an oil finish instead of varnish.   I'm going to get the trigger guard silver plated and then it will be a safe queen.    Last week when I ordered they had two, so there might be one left.   Oh, and the price was less than what was listed on their website, just $289.00
   I'll try to post a pic after I clean the olive oil off.

I got a pair about three years back, had the back strap and guard nickel plated, and plan to swap out the grips...which are disappointing to say the least.  They are beautiful.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com