Author Topic: Rifles and Revolvers  (Read 42765 times)

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Rifles and Revolvers
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 10:57:37 AM »
As I was looking at it more last night I began thinking that it wouldn't be to hard to replace the plastic parts with correct iron or brass.  Sights, buttplate, trigger gard and ramrod and guide.  The basic design seems to be there.  I know the varients of the time were many.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 11:50:58 AM »
BVW:  Years ago I had something similiar.  I exchanged the sights for a Track of the Wolf Buckhorn rear and a brass and german silver front.  Reshaped the forearm and attached a poured nose cap and it worked out pretty well.    Wooden ram rod.  I ground the spur off of the trigger guard and we have a short rifle that is beginning to look right.  It will do for a start.
T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 12:18:41 PM »
Reshaping the forearm to get the ramrod closer to the barrel would be needed, too. I don't know how the thimble currently attaches to the barrel, but I've never seen a ramrod hang so far below the bottom flat.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 01:52:48 AM »

Offline buffalo bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2011, 08:07:33 AM »
   I have been thinking about our future, and it looks good! Wonder what everybody thinks about guns for shoots once we start getting together (postal or in person). Period correct rifle is a given but 1 pistol ?, 2 pistols ?, scattergun ? Most Plainsmen probably wouldn't have bothered with a scattergun. Distances on the Plains are too great. However, this time also includes wagon train emmigrants  and '49ers both of which could have carried shotguns. Carrying 2 pistols (or more) was a common practice with cap and ball revolvers but the more guns we require, the more we become like the other groups. Since we are NOT timing ourselves, it gives us more latitude when it comes to reloading.This levels the playing field between revolvers and single shot pistols. I like that. It becomes more realistic and historically accurate. This also allows a person to carry the firearms that he feels is appropriate for his personna and still be able to compete. Another bonus!
   Also, I realize that we are The American Plains---'MEN' Society. Does that mean that we are a 'men only' group or do we include any woman who wants what we want from the sport. Personally, I believe that we should include anyone regardless of sex to join as long as they are willing to strive for the levels of authenticity that the rest of us seek. In fact, our time period was the era when non-native women began arriving in the West in numbers. This would also allow family involvement, again keeping authenticity levels in mind.
   I am sure many of you feel the same way but if not let's discuss the pro's and con's of these issues. My only concern is that we remain dedicated to the concept of HISTORIC ACCURACY. We all want to have fun but we should not sacrifice authenticity ito do so. I don't want to sound like a Thread-counting  Nazi. I just believe that it is easier (and cheaper in the long run ) to do the research and do things right the first time. Too often I have seen the "it's close enough" and "if they had it they would have used it" mind set ruin a good thing. I don't want TAPS to fall into it.
   I don't want to offend anyone or seem 'elitist'. The farthest thing from my mind. I just figure if we are going to do this, we might as well do it right. Thanks fer listening.

"SCOUTIN' for SHAGGIES"

BUFFALO BILL
Col. W. F. Cody 1846-1917

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 09:49:24 AM »
I happen to have a full scale Mountain Howitzer that I could be talked in to parting with. :)
[It fits the Plainsman time period.  They were in the US arsenal form 1836-1890.]

Books

Are you the origonal Warthog?
Mathew 5.9

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 03:04:55 PM »
   I have been thinking about our future, and it looks good! Wonder what everybody thinks about guns for shoots once we start getting together (postal or in person). Period correct rifle is a given but 1 pistol ?, 2 pistols ?, scattergun ? Most Plainsmen probably wouldn't have bothered with a scattergun. Distances on the Plains are too great. However, this time also includes wagon train emmigrants  and '49ers both of which could have carried shotguns. Carrying 2 pistols (or more) was a common practice with cap and ball revolvers but the more guns we require, the more we become like the other groups. Since we are NOT timing ourselves, it gives us more latitude when it comes to reloading.This levels the playing field between revolvers and single shot pistols. I like that. It becomes more realistic and historically accurate. This also allows a person to carry the firearms that he feels is appropriate for his personna and still be able to compete. Another bonus!
   Also, I realize that we are The American Plains---'MEN' Society. Does that mean that we are a 'men only' group or do we include any woman who wants what we want from the sport. Personally, I believe that we should include anyone regardless of sex to join as long as they are willing to strive for the levels of authenticity that the rest of us seek. In fact, our time period was the era when non-native women began arriving in the West in numbers. This would also allow family involvement, again keeping authenticity levels in mind.
   I am sure many of you feel the same way but if not let's discuss the pro's and con's of these issues. My only concern is that we remain dedicated to the concept of HISTORIC ACCURACY. We all want to have fun but we should not sacrifice authenticity ito do so. I don't want to sound like a Thread-counting  Nazi. I just believe that it is easier (and cheaper in the long run ) to do the research and do things right the first time. Too often I have seen the "it's close enough" and "if they had it they would have used it" mind set ruin a good thing. I don't want TAPS to fall into it.
   I don't want to offend anyone or seem 'elitist'. The farthest thing from my mind. I just figure if we are going to do this, we might as well do it right. Thanks fer listening.

"SCOUTIN' for SHAGGIES"

BUFFALO BILL

Each time I started to answer this Bill, someone has knocked on the door or called, so I will try again.
The following is just my input and the view of our local group.  It is not intended as authoritarian just an opinion.

1. The American Plainsmen Society:  We think of this as descriptive of a time frame and too describe people that lived or traveled across the plains.  That would include Mountain men, Scouts, Dragoons, Homesteaders and pioneers just too name a few. It would include all genders and ages, so it would include the whole family.

2. Taking a note from the Barracks, the less the gun requirement the better for new people.  A person might only have a Revolver or perhaps a single shot rifle that fits the period. I feel the time period is more important than the number of required weapons.

3. Historical Accuracy:  As a person that is as interested in the historical research as the shooting, I think this is something that should be striven for.  It is not always possible for the individual to have every item of the exact time period or be totally historically accurate from day one. As a local group we set up two camps ... Accurate and not accurate.  In the accurate camp we use the 15 foot rule while encouraging people to work toward accuracy. We have a member that wears a shirt that would fit the 1780's and I have a couple shirts that are of the 1870's styles.  We figure these are better than modern western shirts with snaps.

Our group is new and the weapons owned by folks is very limited.  We hold our matches accordingly.
1. rifle match to include single shot percussion muzzle loaders, single shot paper cartridge and even a metallic cartridge if proven to fit the time frame.
2. Revolver or single shot percussion pistol
3. Wooden bows for archery
We also hold a combination match and folks borrow the use of a weapon they do not own.

Well I got this much in before the next knock on the door and hope it helps start the conversation.  It is not meant to be my thinking in total, just a jumping in place.

I have a felling this would have done well as its own thread but that thought only struck as I have finished typing.   ;D
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 03:45:15 PM »
Interesting.  I've got a 3rd model dragoon, might have to look for a Mississipi rifle to go with it.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 05:49:52 PM »
Year, 1857. I have a .50 Austin & Halleck half stock percussion plains rifle, browned barrel and furniture, coupled with a custom buffalo horn powderhorn with adjustable spout. Sidearm a .36 cal. Whitney revolver.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline buffalo bill

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 07:49:55 PM »
TwoWalks, I was just looking for the beginnings of a concensus. I think you and I are pretty close to the same ideas.

1. I agree that this group could easily include women and children. In fact, historically speaking, women are much more   
        authentic to this period than the Mountain Man era and there are 1,000s of women Buckskinners. I believe that we
        should absolutely include women in TAPS.

2. I think that if we require a certain number and type of firearms we might as well join one of the existing shooting groups.
         I didn't mean to imply that we should all have the same types, I was only curious about the kind of shoots that people
         were thinking about. Pistol. Rifle. Pistol and Rifle. Etc.

3. I don't expect anyone to be Historically Accurate right off the bat. I was only encouraging people to think before they
         acquire a bunch of stuff that they might someday regret getting. I am a member of the American Mountain Men. We
         are known for our high level of authenticity and yet even we give our prospective members a year to get their gear
         together. This is supposed to be fun. I don't believe that anyone ever becomes 100% Historically Accurate. If we did,
         some of the fun would go out of it.

I have high hopes that someday we will be more than a forum group. I would like to get together and enjoy being TAPS
      together "on the ground." However, we should consider setting some guidelines for future members. Thats all.

"SCOUTIN' for SHAGGIES"

BUFFALO BILL

Offline Comanche Kid

• Active citizen
  • Tumbleweed
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 08:16:35 PM »
Just picked up an 1851 Colt Navy, .36 Cal this weekend. Looking at a .50 Cal Hawken..I Guess My Harrington-Wesson .45-70 may need to be put on the shelf for a while...Good to see discussion going on about accuracy...Look forward to getting this Rolling...May be moving to Missouri soon...will be closer to being a Plainsman for real...God Bless..

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2011, 09:00:15 PM »
I believe we should let everyone start out with just one firearm, flint or percussion, and set up matches accordingly.  If someone has two (or more!) that fit in our historical period, then that's great!  We can set up matches for rifles, smoothbores, pistols and revolvers...or a combination of the above, depending on who brings what to a match.

I sort of foresee that a pistol/rifle, revolver/rifle or smoothbore/pistol, smpoothbore/revolver combo match might happen.

Just my $0.02 worth, pards!

Jake

Offline buffalo bill

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2011, 10:12:22 PM »
I recall that one of the first things mentioned about this group was that we would not time our shoots. If the eimphasis is on
accuracy rather than speed, single shot pistols could easily compete against revolvers. One of the best parts of this group is that
everyone can carry and shoot the guns that they feel is appropriate to their personna. We are all here for fun. I see alot of other
groups get too caught up in rules and regulations. We are the incarnation of the free spirited men and women who left their homes East of the Mississippi and made their own way in the West. This group, like the West itself is big enough for all. I know that there will be growing pains but I believe that it will all be worth it in the end.

"SCOUTIN' for SHAGGIES"

BUFFALO BILL

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2011, 12:19:37 AM »
I'm glad to see so many who are interested in a historically accurate group. I think hanging on to that goal is going to be our most difficult challenge.

I also want to see this become more than a forum group. Right now I'm thinking at least one encampment somewhere in the West every year, and maybe smaller regional camps if enough people are interested. As far as women and kids, I absolutely support this. (By the way, we already have a woman in the group; I hope to see many more.)

As far as shooting matches, I've envisioned a number of different styles -- from steel targets to paper (doesn't have to be a NMLRA bullseye target, either; charcoal on butcher's paper would work just fine), to an assortment of gourds, chili peppers, pieces of cork, charcoal and whatever else we can scare up. Woods (or plains) walks and renegade attacks are a lot of fun if you've got the right terrain.

Since we are NOT timing ourselves, it gives us more latitude when it comes to reloading.This levels the playing field between revolvers and single shot pistols. I like that. It becomes more realistic and historically accurate. This also allows a person to carry the firearms that he feels is appropriate for his personna and still be able to compete.

"SCOUTIN' for SHAGGIES"
BUFFALO BILL

Couldn't have said this better, so I didn't try.

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2011, 12:32:31 AM »
Drydock and River City John -- sounds good. Hope to be able to shoot with both of you someday.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2011, 08:48:32 AM »
Drydock and River City John -- sounds good. Hope to be able to shoot with both of you someday.

If our trails meet, it would be a pleasure.

(Appreciated your citing The Shootist's review of Where The Buffalo Roam on your website. It's always a treat to meet someone who "tries to get it right". One of the many reasons I enjoy NCOWS and GAF.)

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2011, 09:43:24 AM »
TwoWalks, I was just looking for the beginnings of a concensus. I think you and I are pretty close to the same ideas.

1. I agree that this group could easily include women and children. In fact, historically speaking, women are much more    
        authentic to this period than the Mountain Man era and there are 1,000s of women Buckskinners. I believe that we
        should absolutely include women in TAPS.

2. I think that if we require a certain number and type of firearms we might as well join one of the existing shooting groups.
         I didn't mean to imply that we should all have the same types, I was only curious about the kind of shoots that people
         were thinking about. Pistol. Rifle. Pistol and Rifle. Etc.

3. I don't expect anyone to be Historically Accurate right off the bat. I was only encouraging people to think before they
         acquire a bunch of stuff that they might someday regret getting. I am a member of the American Mountain Men. We
         are known for our high level of authenticity and yet even we give our prospective members a year to get their gear
         together. This is supposed to be fun. I don't believe that anyone ever becomes 100% Historically Accurate. If we did,
         some of the fun would go out of it.

I have high hopes that someday we will be more than a forum group. I would like to get together and enjoy being TAPS
      together "on the ground." However, we should consider setting some guidelines for future members. Thats all.

"SCOUTIN' for SHAGGIES"

BUFFALO BILL

Bill I think we are in total agreement actually.  :) including the later statement:
"I recall that one of the first things mentioned about this group was that we would not time our shoots. If the eimphasis is on
accuracy rather than speed, single shot pistols could easily compete against revolvers. One of the best parts of this group is that
everyone can carry and shoot the guns that they feel is appropriate to their personna. We are all here for fun. I see alot of other
groups get too caught up in rules and regulations. We are the incarnation of the free spirited men and women who left their homes East of the Mississippi and made their own way in the West. This group, like the West itself is big enough for all. I know that there will be growing pains but I believe that it will all be worth it in the end."
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline buffalo bill

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2011, 11:07:47 PM »
TwoWalks, I kinda figured we were closer to agreeing then these Dog-gone computers let us know. Hard to hear a man's tone and meaning in a "post".  Sit down here by the fire and pass me that jug.

"SCOUTIN' for SHAGGIES"

BUFFALO BILL

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2011, 11:25:10 PM »
River City John:

Thanks. I have a lot of respect for NCOWS, and what it represents. GAF, too, although I'm not as familiar with that organization.

Caleb

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2011, 11:45:07 AM »
Diary of Edmund Pace Jarvis:

The year is 1854.  Life is still tough in the wilds of East Texas.  I moved my wife and twelve children from Kemper County Mississippi to Smith County, Texas in 1852.  The little settlement of Jarvis Switch that we established here is starting to flourish.  The Weatherby and Lanham families arrived shortly after we did.  Their hard work and friendship have been a godsend.  What started out as a small trading post opened by Mr. Weatherby, has blossomed into a full fledged general store in just two years.  More families are staying close and estblishing new farms instead of just passing through on their way further West.  Even with civilization advancing in this new land, I still find it necessary to carrry firearms when traveling.  Col. Colt's new belt pistol is not as cumbersome as the Army pistol I have become used to carrying since our arrival; and I also carry the little .31 caliber pocket model pistol with me as an insurance against suprise.  For longer trips, I carry my shotgun instead of the heavier Tryon rifle that came with me from Mississippi.  The shotgun would be more effective in the dense pine forests than the large bore rifle.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2011, 01:40:02 PM »
Sounds like a pretty good outfit, Fingers. Welcome to TAPS.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com