Author Topic: Rifles and Revolvers  (Read 42498 times)

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Rifles and Revolvers
« on: August 24, 2011, 01:32:23 AM »
I was wondering what other folks had, or were thinking about getting, to take part in The American Plainsmen Society. Before TAPS came along, I wasn't really focused on a specific persona. My character was a plainsman from the late 1860s to mid-1870s -- a Kansas to the Northern Plains hunter, scout, trader. I had a Spencer carbine, a rolling block buffalo rifle, and a brace of Richard-Mason Navy conversions. Now I want to go earlier. I've got a Lyman Plains rifle to start with, but I'm not sure where to go with my handguns. A pair of single-shot muzzle loaders would take me all the way back to 1840, if that's what I wanted to do. Or a couple of '51 Navies ...

Offline ol coot

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Rifles and Revolvers
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 06:44:15 AM »

Year is 1854 indan territory.
 Lets see I have a 50 cal. hawken and a newfangel 51 navy. Seeing as how now I ride guard on
 a stage coach. Also have a Greener 10 ga. percussion shotgun 28inch bal. but I cut them down
to 16 inch so to be handier at close in.           Coot
My Lord is my shepard, my bible is my guide, my horse is my partner, my colt's on my side.  
RGA#684
RAT#514
Storm#370
SASS#46209

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 08:01:34 AM »
For the past 20 years my personna has been a Cowboy/Special Ranger from the 1870's.  7 1/2" Colt and a 73 Win.  I am a gun aquirer, I have an 1860 RM Conversion and a Henry.  I have an H&R Trapdoor Carbine with an original '79 sight added. 

I have a 2nd Gen 1860 Army.  My Navy went down the road years ago.

I have recently acquired a Shiloh Sharpes That looks like it could have been a converstion from a Civil War rifle. I have a 1760 Lancanster Style Long Rifle and a HB Trade Gun.

But for this new time frame, I am not very well prepared.  Dang, I have to buy more guns, phooey! (lie, lie, lie)   

I resently purchased an old Santa Fe Arms Hawken.  If you have been around the mountain man thing very long you will remember them from the early 70's.  They were an early Italian copy and fairly good representation.  My oldest son carried it off, so it now lives in GA.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:18:06 AM »

Offline Colt Fanning

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 08:48:15 AM »
Howdy,
I have a replica of a Browning Harmonica rifle and a Kentucky rifle in 40 cal.

Regards
Colt

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 08:59:33 AM »
Currently

1. 1858 patent Remington 44
2. 1851 Colt 44
3. 1860 colt Army 44

------
Getting

Lyman Great Plains 50 Caliber
Traditions Crockett  32 caliber
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 10:30:27 AM »
I was wondering what other folks had, or were thinking about getting, to take part in The American Plainsmen Society. Before TAPS came along, I wasn't really focused on a specific persona. My character was a plainsman from the late 1860s to mid-1870s -- a Kansas to the Northern Plains hunter, scout, trader. I had a Spencer carbine, a rolling block buffalo rifle, and a brace of Richard-Mason Navy conversions. Now I want to go earlier. I've got a Lyman Plains rifle to start with, but I'm not sure where to go with my handguns. A pair of single-shot muzzle loaders would take me all the way back to 1840, if that's what I wanted to do. Or a couple of '51 Navies ...

As long as you have the Lyman rifle you might look at their pistols in the same caliber.  I did, and they're just what the doctor ordered...in my case.

I also have a pair of 1860 Army revolvers in .44 and a fine Ethan Allen double barrel single trigger .36 pistol by Hoppes.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline buffalo bill

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 11:06:44 AM »
I carry a Lyman Great Plains .50 and a pair of '51 Navies. I have a .50 percussion dueling pistol as well. The Lyman was factory built but I stripped all blue finish, drawfiled the modern markings off and gave it a nice deep brown all over. I also refinished the stock to a deep, hand rubbed oil finish. Looks like a custom or dare I say an original Hawken? Good set to roam the Plains with I think.

"SCOUTIN' for SHAGGIES"

BUFFALO BILL
Col. W. F. Cody 1846-1917

Offline Sacramento Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 11:43:21 AM »
Howdy!

For a character in the early to mid-1850's (in California like the central gold fields or Los Angeles; probably the same for Texas as well); a Hawken in 50 caliber, and a colt Dragoon. (Don't forget a large bowie type blade!)
I can't imagine someone who was putting themselves in serious situations going without a Dragoon, if they had access to one.  Yes, they're heavy and weren't originally made for belt carry, but having carried and shot one, I wouldn't want anything in a smaller caliber instead.  (Remember the saying about 'comforting' vs 'comfortable'?) Besides, when it was empty, you could always bludgeon someone with it...Have a '51 Navy colt as well; might use that as townie carry, or back up to the Dragoon if going someplace expecting real trouble.

Online Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 12:16:43 PM »
Howdy,
I have a replica of a Browning Harmonica rifle and a Kentucky rifle in 40 cal.

Regards
Colt

WHERE IS THE COLOUR ME JEALOUS EMOTICON?????   I would love a Harmonica Rifle!!!!!
I kind of based my perosona of a mid 60s missouri boy heading west to get out of the borderwar.   I have 2 1860 Colts, 2 1851 Navy Colts, 1 Remmington and a Henry Rifle.   

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 12:34:18 PM »
Colt Fanning brought the Harmonica gun to our NCOWS shoot.  What a hoot to watch.  It is pretty slow and I think you might want a mountain howitzer carriage to carry it around but it was way fun.  Colt is always bringing something cool to shoot.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 12:40:19 PM »
The Panhandle Plains Historical Society Museum in Canyon, Texas has a lot of neat items.  If any of yall every go thru the Amarillo area it is worth the half a day or day to stop and see. 

They have a half stock plains rifle that belonged to Charles Goodnight.  It is fairly late to our period but pre-Civil War. 
The rifle has a back action lock and appears to be about .54 Cal.

Do any of you know of a source for a rifle of this nature other than the Tryon sold by Dixie?

Another rifle that I think would be good for this period would be a Leman. 

The only source I know of for this one is Tennessee Valley Muzzleloaders.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 04:55:30 PM »
Colt Fanning brought the Harmonica gun to our NCOWS shoot.  What a hoot to watch.  It is pretty slow and I think you might want a mountain howitzer carriage to carry it around but it was way fun.  Colt is always bringing something cool to shoot.

I happen to have a full scale Mountain Howitzer that I could be talked in to parting with. :)
[It fits the Plainsman time period.  They were in the US arsenal form 1836-1890.]

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 05:36:33 PM »
I carry a Lyman Great Plains .50 and a pair of '51 Navies. I have a .50 percussion dueling pistol as well. The Lyman was factory built but I stripped all blue finish, drawfiled the modern markings off and gave it a nice deep brown all over. I also refinished the stock to a deep, hand rubbed oil finish. Looks like a custom or dare I say an original Hawken? Good set to roam the Plains with I think.

"SCOUTIN' for SHAGGIES"

BUFFALO BILL

I bought my Great plains about 1975-1976 and the first thing I did was strip and brown it and replace the sights.  I now has a silver blade front in a copper base and a cast iron FULL buckhorn of the old style.  I put about 200 brass nails...not tacks but 3/32"headed nails on it to personalize it.  The stock is as issued, a dark honey with wonderful figure enhance by a semi-annual rubbing with Virginaville wax.  I have no idea what I'll do if I run out because I haven't seen it for sale in almost 30 years.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 06:16:04 PM »
I do an impression as a member of the Los Angeles Rangers (ca. 1854-1857) as well as a Nicaraguan Filibuster.
  • I carry a custom made .54 Hawkins pattern rifle.
    2nd generation Navy Six with squared trigger guard.
    Silver-handled bowie with 9" blade.
    Original bone handled "Bowie" pattern bag knife.
-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 11:28:25 PM »
This turned out to be a fun thread. Cool photos, Tsalagidave. You need to become a member. (Of course, that applies to the rest of you who haven't joined yet, too.)

Forty Rod -- It had slipped my mind that Lyman also made a pistol. Good idea. I think I'll eventually end up with at least one single-shot pistol for very early, and a brace of revolvers for later. I've been looking at 1851 Navies locally, but all I've found so far are .44s, and I want a correct caliber. We've got the annual Fort Bridger (WY) rendezvous coming up over Labor Day weekend. This year I'll have a few more items to look for.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 08:34:03 AM »
I normally spend Labor Day weekend hunting doves, but I am going to put Fort Bridger on my calendar for next year.

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 11:26:20 AM »
This is a real interesting thread.  I might have some guns to fit in.  I have an old fashioned style rifle.  a .50 cal Traditions Deerslayer.  It is a sidelock with a half stock that looks like it was carved out of a 2x4 with a plastic ramrod but it shoots rounjdball real well and isn't too heavy to carry.  I also have 3 Pietta remington new army .44 revolvers.  (they keep following me home). 
have a hand made belt knife that I can shave with and use as a mirror. 
now I would just need to add some pre 1860 clothes and a good story to go with it all.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 09:48:22 PM »
Tascosa Joe -- Fort Bridger is a trader's rendezvous -- lots of vendors and tons of tourists. They have shooting, but it isn't a big part of the event. A lot, if not most, of the local shooters attend the Fort Buenaventura Labor Day rendezvous in Ogden, Utah. I haven't been to Bridger to camp in years, but if you make it up here next year, I'll be there.

Bow View Haymaker -- Tell me more about your rifle. I did a search on Traditions Deerslayer and couldn't find anything. I'm curious.

Caleb

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 11:23:21 PM »
I was wrong. It's a Traditions "Deerhunter"  Case solor onthe sideplate and the octogon barrel.  Plastic sights,butplate and ramrod. 
It isfar from historicly accurate but looks ok from a distance and shoots well.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 10:42:04 AM »
Bow View -- That's a good looking deer rifle (great reviews, too), but unfortunately it isn't period correct, which is what we're striving for here. If you ever get a chance to pick up a historically accurate rifle -- wooden ramrod, fixed iron (or brass, silver, or copper) sights, no plastic, correct silhouette, etc., we'd love to have you.

We probably need to come up with a list of firearms that fit the 1840 to 1865 period. I'd hate for someone who wants to get involved with TAPS to buy a gun that doesn't fit the period. A good choice would be a Lyman Plains Rifle, but I know there are others out there.

Caleb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com