Author Topic: Rifles and Revolvers  (Read 42501 times)

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
Re: Rifles and Revolvers
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2011, 12:53:37 PM »
New Project: Modified Pietta Paterson Revolver:

I'm going to pick up a Pietta Paterson when I get home and do some "modifying" on it.  First, I'm going to cut the barrel from 9" to 7 1/2" and reset the front sight.  Then I'm going to re-profile the bottom of the one-piece walnut grips to more closely resemble the ones on the originals.  Here are some photo-shopped pictures of what the "before" and "after" shots should look like:
Before:

After:

Offline Comanche Kid

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Active citizen
  • Tumbleweed
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2011, 02:29:59 PM »
Jake,
       Neat project...Keep the thread updated. Waiting to see the finished product...

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2011, 03:03:03 PM »
Jake,
       Neat project...Keep the thread updated. Waiting to see the finished product...

Second this motion... great looking project.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 02:24:28 AM »

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2011, 09:03:25 PM »
Will do, pards!  I hope to have it completed by the end of September.

Offline River Jordan

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2011, 08:27:18 PM »
I think a variety of guns should be allowed and I like the idea of a 2 gun match with flexible rules ( not really rules but agreed informal contests)

One of the things that I dislike now about SASS is the overly complex rule book. I didn't start out as rocket science---just a bunch of friends shooting old guns and not really keeping score.

In fact, I would recommend that there not be scoring or timing at gatherings. Only shooting exhibitions informally held as if between friends.

I have an example of what I am referring to: my son and I like old WW 2 guns and we will go to the range and have an 8on 8 match where we decide on the distance ( usually 100 yds) and see who can shoot the best 8 shot group.
We use 8 rounds only because of the Garand. You can use any rifle and there is no time involved --only accurate shooting and fun. I usually use the 03 and he usually uses the Garand. we only do this game once and then move on to other things. It is like a ritual or a fun thing that we look forward to and is competitive yet simple.

APS could have a similar informal type match. Basically a Postal match in person. 

Offline boilerplatejackson

• Master Tailor
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Mastor Tailor
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2011, 02:12:25 AM »
My favorite for the late 1850s would be the 1841 Harpers Ferry rifle, and a brace of 51 colt navies. I have a percussion Taylors sharps
but it would be 1859 at best. Thats when the slant breech sharps was dropped from production. Post 1860-69 would be the 1841 Miss, or 61 Springfield, or P1858 Enfield for myself as well. I also have an Invest Arms half stocked plains rifle (Cabelas Hawken) that is lots of fun to shoot slugs at 100 yards and beyond.

The St. Louis Hawken was king of the plains for sure, but there were many other riflesmiths making and selling plains rifles
along the Missouri river towns as well. From Arrow Rock to St. Joe, Missouri.

Offline boilerplatejackson

• Master Tailor
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Mastor Tailor
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2011, 02:25:34 AM »
I guess my persona would be that of a Townsman plying his trade. My trade would be a tailor in Lecompton, Kansas Territory.
When business from the Capital was slow I would have hired a wagon to go buff hunting west of Topeka. As a reserve member
of the Kansas Territorial Militia, I would have had access to the 1841 Harpers Ferry issued to us from Ft. Leavenworth as approved
by the US Government. On one occasion we did get called to arms to defend Lecompton fron Jim Lanes Free State Militia. When
Dragoons intervined, Lane and his forces dispersed.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2011, 02:41:40 PM »
I was looking at the Dixie Cataloge.  They have what they call The Mortimer Rifle.  it is built by Pedersoli.  It is an earlier half stock octagon to round .54 cal flintlock.  I think it is a forerunner of the plains rifle.  It in many respects resembles a rifle at the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco that has provanance to Jim Bowie at the Alamo.  The rifle was on loan to the museum, it may not be on display anymore.  The last time I was in there was probably 1996.  The Bowie gun had a lot of brass inlay that is absent on the stock of the Italian gun.  I keep thinking this rifle converted to percussion would have a very high cool factor.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2011, 08:58:32 AM »
They have what they call The Mortimer Rifle.  it is built by Pedersoli.  

I keep thinking this rifle converted to percussion would have a very high cool factor.

Tascosa here is your vision.  The Mortimer Whitworth, it is special order and only available in .45

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2011, 09:17:10 AM »
Sure enough.  I dont care for the sights.  But way cool.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline ol coot

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2011, 07:33:06 PM »
  In 1855 Colt brough out a 56 cal. black powder revolving carbine call the Root.
  Side oiler 20inch bl. wern't real populer but some did makeit out west by1857.
                       coot
My Lord is my shepard, my bible is my guide, my horse is my partner, my colt's on my side.  
RGA#684
RAT#514
Storm#370
SASS#46209

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2011, 04:28:05 PM »
Ol' Coot,

You can get a /45 Caliber replica of that Colt Root Model 1855 rifle from Dixie Gun works, but it will set you back $2100!

Jake

Offline Col.Will B.Havoc

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2011, 11:11:29 PM »
I.m not a member of the plainsman society, but this sounds like a fun thread. I am a Living historian. Mexican war military.
So for the scenario, Los Angeles, 1850. Recently left the service. Arms: 1842 Patterson .36, 1842 Musket .69, .50 Caliber Plains Rifle,
hand made Bowie, 1840 Officer's Saber. I'd like to see more Angelenos involved.

Offline buffalo bill

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2011, 07:10:47 AM »
Col. Havoc,
              Why not send your contact info to Caleb Hobbs and join TAPS? All it takes is to be a member is the desire to do so. Just a thought. The Mexican War falls exactly in our time frame.

'SCOUTIN' for SHAGGIES'

BUFFALO BILL
Col. W. F. Cody 1846-1917

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2011, 09:28:58 AM »
Col Havoc.  I have a great interest in the Dragoons especially the one in California.  One of my favorite stops when going North/South is Ft Tejon.  My drive way goes down hill and makes a sharp left turn.  At that spot is Dragoon Gulch where a group of Dragoons were camped during the 1850's and were the local authority during the Gold Rush here in Sonora, California.

As Buffalo Bill said, sign up because the Dragoons were a major part of our era and we look forward to sharing of the knowledge.

Offline Jake MacReedy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2011, 12:38:09 PM »
Col. Havoc, I join the above pards in welcoming you to The American Plainsmen Society!  Please do sign up, sir!

Jake

Offline Caleb Hobbs

• Top Active Citizen
    • Western Author Michael Zimmer
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2011, 11:35:11 AM »
Colonel Havoc:

I'll add my two centavos here and encourage you to join The American Plainsmen Society. It would be great to have members who are interested in the Dragoon period -- even if they have just left the service. I'd also like to see more folks join who have an interest in early California history. We already have a few members from Central California, but I know there are a lot of others who post on CASCity who represent this period. Get enough together and we could have our first regional event.

Caleb

Offline Oregon Bill

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 153
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2011, 11:48:23 AM »
Wow, lots to catch up on on a snowy day along the Applegate Trail ...
I'm drawn to  the 1841 Mississippi as a very useful rifle well rooted in the period. Another fascinating rifle is the Wesson boxlock. The actions are available but you'll have to have a smith build the whole rifle. Here is a shot of the butt end of one supposedly carried by Texas Ranger Jack Hayes circa 1849. Note the lollipop tank rear sight:

Years ago, I served as the guest firearms curator for the Southern Oregon Historical Society, which has an extensive collection of original firearms from the 1840s-1890s. There was a tremendous amount of variation among the "Plains rifles" in terms of caliber, barrel length and thickness, conventional lock vs. back-action lock, etc. Unfortunately, owing to financial difficulties the firearms collection is in storage.

Regarding rules, my take is basically "PRAISE BE TO GOD WE AREN'T INTO FASTEST TIMES," from which a whole host of negative issues would be likely to spring. Honestly, back in the day, your shot had to be accurate to tell.
I would also like to see continuing flexibility on the arms required; too many folks get discouraged having to buy two pistols and rifle and a shottie right out of the gate, and if you surveyed every wagon on the Oregon Trail circa 1862, I'll bet you'd find very few that had this arsenal under the hemp canvas ...

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2011, 03:07:45 PM »
I agree.  Although I have seen a lot of documentation of individuals traveling the plains with a host of pistols, carbines, shotguns and rifles, the most common among immigrants appear to be flint and percussion rifles or shotguns and a hunting knife.

I saw a mention of the Colt Root rifles from Dixie for $2100.  Buyer beware, these are from the (now defunct) Palmetto Arms in Italy (not to be confused with Palmetto Arms LLC of S. Carolina). The Italian Roots are of notoriously bad quality and Dixie actually pulled the shooter reviews at one time because they were such hunks of junk. If Pietta made the Colt Root rifle, I'd be interested but I haven't heard anything good about the shooting performance of the 1855 Root repops.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline captmack

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • "TX is neither southern nor western. TX is TX"
    • Capt Mack's You Tube page
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2011, 09:35:06 AM »
This is my brace for early period, Texas Revolution era.
Capt Prather Scott "Mack" McLain
Senator
NCOWS Life Member #175

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com