Author Topic: Webley-Greene .476/.455  (Read 3503 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Webley-Greene .476/.455
« on: August 21, 2011, 08:42:45 PM »
Just made a gun swap that got me a Webley-Pryse .476/.455 in VG+ condition. Ought to get along well with my .450 Tranter Army and an Exc. Colt New Service .455 about to also enter the stable. Also have an Exc. MK VI in .455 I refer to as my "Lawrence of Arabia" pistol.

My buds think I'm nuts investing in these 'clunkers', but they are to the British Empire what the Colt SAA and 1911 are to the US.
I enjoy the history of my guns as much as I do shooting them.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
Re: Webley-Greene .476/.455
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 10:37:29 AM »
Look into THE WEBLEY STORY for the history of these firearms.  It might be pricey (about $200!!) but a nearby library might have a copy.  The one I read was in the Prince George library so an inter-library loan might find a copy?

There was a Webley-Pryse revolver.  Pryse held a patent on some part of the mechanism.  Look into back copies of HANDLOADER for an article on one of them retailed by Wilkinson Sword

NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Captain John Jarrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 10:50:31 AM »
So is it a Webley Government/Greene or a Webley-Pryse? Your heading says one and your post another.

Either way definetly not junkers!!! First rate firearms of all types & the Webley bug has bitten me big time.
 But cut your fellows some slack, the largest portion of Americans know nothing about Webley or their history
and being they are of British origin they don't care to.

If you don't already have the new Webley Solid Frame Revolvers MP, RIC, & No.5 Models book by Joel Black I can't stress enough how much you will appreciate reading it. Also recommend Joel's earlier Webley book on the British Bulldog & Pugs. Each will run about $75 from places like Amazon.

Do you have any pics. of your new family members?

John.
Captain John Jarrett

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:42:59 PM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Webley-Pryse.476/.455
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 12:09:05 PM »
My gun is a Webley-Pryse. In "The Revolver - 1865-1888" by AWF Taylerson, he discusses the Pryse patent as it applies to Webley revolver actions, not the frame lock.
The 'pinch' frame lock was not covered under the patent and widely copied by the British and Continental gun trade.

A pal had a pristine cased nickle plated 'Webley-Pryse' with the Holland & Holland name on it and on the case lid label. It even had 50 originals rds in the case block. He foolishly fired off 6 of them one day in a fit of willful stupidity. C'est dommage ... ;>(  It could have been mine but for the lack of $1500, a small fortune at the time.

The RICs (their Custer connection notwithstanding) have never much appealed to me or some of the bird's head Webleys. An ex-wife once had a collection of 24 Brit revolvers, all .450/.455s. Alas, when we parted the guns were sold off, many of them going to a collector in NZ.

Capt. John - the buddies I'm talking about are Canucks, not Americans. Many are not as historically aware as you might want to think, knowing more about US history and guns than their own, thanks to the movies.

Once I learn how, I'll be delighted to show off the whole fam damily of .455s I'm blessed to own.  I'll be singing "We're Soldiers of the Queen, m'boys ...","We're marching to Praetoria ...", and "Rule Britannia, Britannia rules the waves ...."
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 10:15:36 AM »
Sir Charles

I found a back copy of November 2008 'Handloader' with an article on the .476 Enfield MK III cartridge. When was the article you mentioned published?

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 01:37:59 PM »
I wrote a letter to the editor that was unpublished.  I can't find that either.

I was googling and found this site.  Wilkinson Sword was one of the major retailers of Victorian era arms;

http://www.armsresearch.co.uk/Wilkinson%20Firearms/Wilkinson%20Firearms.html
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Captain John Jarrett

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 02:59:00 PM »
The gent who runs that site is Richard Milner and for a small fee he can look up your revolver in the Webley records that he has available and may be able to provide information of when it was sold and to whom. If he can not find anything on your particular revolver he does not charge you.
Captain John Jarrett

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com