Author Topic: 1942 Brass  (Read 2980 times)

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1942 Brass
« on: August 19, 2011, 02:00:55 PM »
I was sorting my .45acp brass and found several pieces of military dated 42.  Some ECS, EC, and RA.  That brass is almost 70 years old!  It would be interesting to know where all it has been.

Drifter ???

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: 1942 Brass
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 02:57:26 PM »
Not to be flippant - but most likely boxed in an ammo can up until it got sold via the surplus market - or acquired by someone in the Guard who'd owned a .45 and 'knew a Supply Sergeant'...

Kept in a relatively dry and stable environment - it's just as effective today as it was when new.

Uncle Sam had untold millions of rounds left over from the WWII early production lines - more than that from later ones all through the early '90's - and WWI-issued ammunition still shows up it the 20-round salmon-colored boxes - sometimes still crated.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Blackfoot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 03:33:40 PM »
I understand. Even if it were still packed in the GI boxes it could have been around the world twice. The brass that I found has been loaded several times.  It is not really beat up but it has definately "been around the block".

Drifter

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:12:51 PM »

Offline Durango Flinthart

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Forty miles a day on beans and hay...
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 05:09:32 PM »
The EC headstamp stands for Evansville Chrysler. If you can get your hands on a long out of print book titled "Bullets by the Billion", it tells how the Chrysler Plant in Evansville, Ind. retooled during WWII and produced 90% of the .45acp and .30 carbine rounds.
I've shot and reloaded many over the years, now when I sort brass I pull the EC stamps out and save them for the sake of nostalgia.    
When the cambrian measures were forming they promised purpetual peace. They swore if we gave up our weapons the wars of the tribes, they would cease, but when we disarmed they enslaved us and delivered us bound to our foe and the Gods of the copybook headings said, "Stick to the devil you know." Kipling

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 08:58:59 AM »
When I used to work in an Indoor Range/Gunshop we came across a bunch of EC marked .45ACP cases that were made out of Steel.  I even have a box of Steel cased .45ACP locked away in an old .30 Cal Ammo Can.

We found that it was reloadable but not worth the effort as the primer pocket had to be swaged to remove the crimp in it.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com