Author Topic: Which Peacemaker Clone to Start With?? On a Budget....  (Read 8199 times)

Offline Nalajr

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Which Peacemaker Clone to Start With?? On a Budget....
« on: August 19, 2011, 12:27:23 AM »
Hey all,

I have always loved the Colt Peacemakers, but could never afford one.  Someday...

Anyway, I would like to check into picking up a good clone that I can have some fun with and not break the bank.  Unfortunately the USFA Rodeo is also out of my range at $775 for the base model.  That pretty much leaves me with the Italian clones, which is OK, if they are of good enough quality.  I'm not saying I'll be putting 1,000 rounds a month through it, but it will get used as often as I can afford to buy ammo..... or a loader.

I am also not looking at the Vaqueros, not because they are a terrific choice, but because I want one that is a clone of the Peacemaker and has those 4 CLICKS.  Nothing matches that sound.

I know there are alots of makers out there that are offering lots of different choices and I am not familiar with hardly any of them.  I did glance at the Uberti site last night and they have lots of great looking stuff, but hard to pick what I would want.  I haven't went to the other sites yet to check out their offerings.

So I thought I'd come here and ask the EXPERTS and cut some tie out of browsing and looking all over the place.

If you all were on a budget of say $4-500 for a single clone, what would you pick?  I wouldn't necessarily mind if I had to have an action job on it not long after getting it.

Also one last thing, I bowhunt hogs and always have a sidearm with me.  I think it would be great fun to slide a hogleg into a holster and head out looking for mean hogs and if the chance presented itself I'd certainly entertain the possibility of taking a hog with a Peacemaker clone.  I wouldn't be stoking it with Buffalo Bore ammo or anything like that, just a basic HD load or a Winchester Silvertip.  I know when you start talking hunting you are much better off with a Ruger Vaquero.  I'm just thinking out loud right now mainly seeing if you all would frown upon such use for a clone.

OK, what would you pick if you were under the restrictions I am under?

Thanks for your time and help.

Nalajr

Offline Cherokee Reb

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Which Peacemaker Clone to Start With?? On a Budget....
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 02:52:17 AM »
Great Western IIs or an old AWA Peacekeeper would be my first picks followed by the Uberti. I have a Uberti 44-40 in 7.5 barrel and a Peacekeeper in .357 right now that are close enough for me. I shoot with NCOWS and don't worry about speed shooting especially with the BP loads I fire. I recently traded a GWII that had a great fit and finish and felt great in the hand.

I've got long and short barrel guns and find the longer ones "point better" for me.

Hope that helps.

CR
Member SASS,NCOWS and Knob Creek Regulators

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 07:46:48 AM »
As far as Italian clones, they almost all come from Uberti or Pietta.  It doesn't matter whether you purchase from them directly, or from folks like EMF, Cimarron, Taylors, or Navy Arms.  It's probably more a matter of where you find the best deal.

However, I'd suggest that you check out Long Hunter (Jim Finch).  He sells guns with action jobs included that typically sell at or below what you can buy the same gun from most retailers without action jobs.  He's a super nice guy and does fantastic work.  I have 4 guns I bought from him.  He sell Cimarron, Taylors and Ruger revolvers.

His website is www.longhunt.com
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:22:31 AM »

Offline Bugscuffle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 12:36:29 PM »
EAA Bounty Hunter. I bought twp of them in .45 LC with 7 1/2" barrels and threy are great. Yes, 7 1/2" barrels keep the muzzle flip down to nearly 38 Specilal levels. Granted I haven't had them that long, so I can't vouch for the longevity, but the major parts (those that you would change out/modify for an action job are difectly interchangeable with the Colt SAA and grips are available for a reasonable price. Price about $360.00 each factory new in the box.
I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
My personal favorite Colt Clone is the Great Western 2.  I'm Partial to the Alchemista with the longer 1860 Army grip frame.  They fit my hands better, and I prefer the 7.5 inch barrel.

Your tastes may differ.

I've owned and shot the Uberti's, but prefer the Pietas.  YMMV.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Curley Cole

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 03:42:14 PM »

Some of my favorites. Above is a GW2. These were when Turnbull were doing the CCH.

engraved Taylors with poly  ivory grips

All blue GW2 with Colt eagle grips, along with a real Colt.

You can see some other gunz including some pix I took at EMF office by going to the Just for fun gallery on my webpage:

http://sdough.smugmug.com

None oof the above guns cost more than $600 new except for the Real Colt

curley
Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang

Offline Old Doc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 09:50:16 AM »
In a new gun, the best deal right now seems to be the Cimarron Frontier, through Long Hunter Supply, www.longhunt.com
This is a new offering from them and the people I talked to at Long Hunter were very high on them. They come from the factory with an action job and are less than $500.

You mentioned the USFA Rodeo. These are over $700 new but nice examples sometimes turn up on Gunbroker for less than $600

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 01:27:14 PM »
I just picked up a Cimarron Old Model "P" with the charcoal blue finish in 4 3/4" barrel, .45 LC for $590.00 OTD. It's my 3rd Cimarron and I am very pleased with them. I enjoy the attention Cimarron pays to how the old colt style guns were made: Two line address on the short barrel models, case hardened frame AND hammer. Narrow front sight and the rounded trigger guard  (although my new one does not have this feature). I wish they would incorporate a conical firing pin. FWIW

Crossdraw

Offline Bear Claw Chris Lappe

• Citizen
  • Heritage Arms 45 Colt
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 08:00:02 PM »
I can't say enough good about my 2 EMF Great Western II's.

Just amazing guns!

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 12:35:06 PM »
I have had good luck with Taylor's and Company for SAA clones and conversions.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com