Author Topic: Maynard Carbine Rifles?  (Read 6071 times)

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Maynard Carbine Rifles?
« on: August 17, 2011, 01:03:24 AM »
I am beginning to build up a Confederate Cavalry Personna, and I am beginning to get interested in a Maynard Carbine.

I have read much about Romano Maynard reproductions. Besides a cost like a cheap car, I am also informed that the Romano shop no longer exists.

Does anyone have more information on these weapons?
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: Maynard Carbine Rifles?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 08:26:33 AM »
You've pretty much discovered what there is to know.

Look instead at the Dixie Gun Works catalog and see if you like their 'Confederate Sharps', or one of the other CSA-related weapons - they may be easier on the wallet and parts should be available, as  well.

Of course, you can use pretty much every weapon from the era, but the reality of it all is the ammunition resupply, as cartridge weaponry was far more difficult to feed than percussion, unless a Federal Quartermaster column was captured, and even then, the Federals were using percussion more than cartridge.

Dixie has some nice stuff - send 'em a $5 bill for their catalog.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline hawkeye2

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 01:33:39 PM »
Romano is still in business:  http://www.romanorifle.com/   

Why not buy an original Maynard?  They are relativly inexpensive and will always be worth more no matter how much you use it.  Also replacement parts are readilly avaliable.  Easy to load for, quick to reload, very accurate.  Most Sharps will need breech modifications to seal good and are a little more difficult to load for.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:27:38 PM »

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 08:49:10 AM »
Hawkeye,

I havd seen this web site as well ... and sent several emails through there asking questions about purchasing a Maynard.

I have yet to get any form of reply.

I can only guess that Mr Romano has desired to semi-retire, and is not interested in beginning new projects ....
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline hawkeye2

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 10:55:55 AM »
"I can only guess that Mr Romano has desired to semi-retire, and is not interested in beginning new projects ...."

He is too young to retire.  He was at his booth at the N-SSA Spring Nationals.  I would suggest you pick up the phone if you really want one of his Maynards.  I still feel you should look into an original.  Everything you need from wood to barrels is avaliable to bring a poor one up to a top notch shooter.  Brass and molds are readilly avaliable and they are an easy gun to load for and maintain.

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 07:53:16 PM »
Hi,

I should probably update this ... I did leave a lot of people wondering ....

I did purchase a Romano 1st Model and Mr Romano has been the model of kindness in helping me get set up to shoot this thing ... got the bullets (not original but more of a 300 grain 'buffalo bullet" style) ... got 100 cartridges and am just waiting on the powder to reload ... got the hand reloading (seating) tool and a base for the Press that will hold .50 Cal Maynard Brass ... and sometime around Christmas or New years I will load my first Maynard  (Yeah!).

Here is a pic of the Maynard Barrel and me at a Veteran's Day affair in the Old Sacramento Cemetery ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Old No7

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 08:20:49 PM »
THAT picture deserves a reply...

Oh wait, you're wearing gray...

Just kidding!   ;D

That's a neat story and pix, and a nice rifle, congrats!

Old No7

(A Yankee, can ya tell?)
"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 11:29:46 PM »
No 7,

Watt (Wadd) Watson Ellis served with the Second Cavalry of Florida, joining up in i 1862.

By '62, when a man became a Confederate Cavalryman a private (in those days slick sleeve), the soldier was lucky to get a jacket and pants ... much less a correct uniform.

Still he survived the war ... so I am guessing that his kit included a pistol as well as a Maynard Rifle ...the pistol and holster coming from a battlefield donation.

I am also guessing that his decision to join up was more because he had five kids to feed than patriotism ... the Southerners had burned most of the mills ... and work was non-existent (he was a woodworker and worked the mills ... (but the mills were burned or not working) ... and in the South, a soldier (i have read) made more than his civilian counterpart  ... then there was those mouths to feed ...

Anyway, with the exception of Infantry Pants (no doubling up of inner jeans material, My kit is that of my great grandfather ... whom the more I know about him, the prouder I am ....

Here is an article about the Maynard Rifle ...

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/civil-war/Maynard-carbine.pdf

NCOWS #3403

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 11:38:49 PM »
No 7,

Notice the grave that I am leaning on in my profile. When the first Minister in the area wanted to build a church and cemetery, Watt  (Wadd) Watson Ellis gave him the land for the church and cemetery from his own fam... as a result both he and my great uncles are still enterred there ...

An' Old Top, it is good to see your posts again ... now that I have reached my august age, I worry when I do not see posts for a week or more .... *S*

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com