Author Topic: 2011 Department of Missouri HQ Muster After Action Report  (Read 6950 times)

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
2011 Department of Missouri HQ Muster After Action Report
« on: July 30, 2011, 06:20:03 PM »
Hot day on the campaign. Had to leave after lunch due to Commander P.Trooper getting a little warm and cranky.

Good chow of beef n noodles, peach cobbler, and bread for lunch! Thanks Del.

Good stages for what I saw, and a great place for the match!
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: 2011 Department of Missouri HQ Muster After Action Report
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 02:57:56 PM »
Well, the 2011 Department of Missouri HQ Muster  is in the books. Great time and if everyone else enjoyed it as much as I did, they all had a fabulous time. Col. Drydock repeated as Department Champion. Stu Kettle earned the award for the over all lowest time. (He shot the entire match in less time than some of us shot single stages and with only a couple of misses!) Bowview Hamaker traveled the furthest (1140) miles!)
Will post more complete report and results as time allows. Now to finish cleaning up my stuff.

For those who were here; in my "thank you's" I forgot to mention the Sargent Lions club. While we didn'st see their representatives, their support has made this match possible every year I've hosted musters.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 09:54:28 PM »
The GAF Skirmish format stages were a blast! All reactive targets, so you knew when you hit. I was worried about my .38spl '66 having enough ooomph! to topple targets, but careful aiming for upper chest/head shots took most down. Nice allowance feature is that if you were hitting and they weren't going down you could make three taps on a target and it counted as a kill, and then you were allowed to advance 15 feet or so at a time until you were making sure hits on the rest of the targets in the group.

The stages were all combat walks up into box canyons stopping to engage targets positioned in the brush on both sides along the canyon walls. First stage had you advancing to meet groups of targets, with one group having several prone targets obscured behind a low ridge - you had to take careful aim to topple them fellers. Got to fix bayonet or draw bowie knife and take out two hostile dummies mid stage, then turn to advance to a low ridge and engage final targets down below you in the neighboring valley.

Next stage you needed to take out successive lines of infantry targets from a 'grassy knoll' before you could advance to engage the second line, then you could advance to eliminate the crews of two artillery pieces farthest up the valley.

No misses to keep track of, no math, and no procedurals - it was all timed with a stop watch. Basically you chose the order of your targets, so no complicated stage instructions to memorize. Just shoot, knock 'em down and keep moving forward. Grinning all the way, I might add.
Third stage had you engaging targets as you retreated back up a hill into the wooden palisaded fort, where you finished off the final waves of attackers.

Meals were prepared by Delmonico in Dutch ovens. Unbelievably good fare, and plentiful too. Normally reticent and shy, Delmonico himself admitted that he outdid himself, and we dined at various mealtimes on chicken and spanish rice; beef stew with homemade country noodles; Czech sausages from a local butcher cooked with sourkraut and rye bread; 'cowboy' cheesesteak sandwiches; meatloaf and apricot cobbler; biscuits and savory country sausage gravy . . . .

The shooters camped primitive and all manner of camps were welcomed. From a simple bedroll under the stars to period canvas tents to modern nylon tents. We were all there to have fun and enjoy each other's company.

I'm hoping someone posts some photos. The whole setting for this shoot was in the beautiful Nebraska Sand Hills landscape, not only the perfect topography for skirmish walks, but rich in the history of the Indian Wars time period. A double treat.

RCJ        
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:17:11 AM »

Online Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 10:15:25 PM »
Good to see you there, John!  You shot quite well, I might add.  I'm glad you liked the Muster, and hopefully next year it will be a couple of degrees cooler!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Stu Kettle

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 09:40:37 AM »
While River City John has made a valiant effort, I don't believe mere words can do justice to the overall experience.  When Col. Pitsitr asked us what he could have done to improve the event, we were hard pressed to come up with an answer.  Most of the the discussion focused on picking a date that might be a couple of degrees cooler, The heat did little to detract from the fun stages, great company, beautiful scenery, and excellent food.  Thanks again for a great time, & I look forward to your next "Gun Shoot Thingy"

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 12:02:34 PM »
My self and "The General" as Salt Crick Rick calls it, death trap as RCJ calls it made it home about 6:30 last night cause we are both slow.  Does much better with a load, need to put some ballest in the back for trips to town.  At work, been here 2 hours and just got time to check in.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 11:17:21 PM »
Just arrived home an hour or so ago, after an overnight stay in Topeka, and a couple of side trips(Cabellas to stock up on Trailboss, and an oriental market in downtown KC, to stock up on needed Philippine approved grocery items) and a few other small "side trips" that were easily fixed by staring at a map for a few minutes...... ::)

As the others said, match was great, the skirmish format a lot of fun. Looking forward to the next opportunity......

Offline Bow View Haymaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 01:41:35 PM »
At Crofton for another day just south of Calumutt Bluff or Gavins Point  My daughter and I wil start the treck back to the Arizona desert tommorow.  Great Muster once again.  Soonas the date for next year is final I will put in the timeoff request at work.  can't miiss this one.
Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com

Offline Pony Racer

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 08:19:52 PM »
Pictures available for those of us who could not attend?

PR
GAF 239
Pony Pulling Daddy
Member Fire & Brimstone Posse
Having fun learning the ways of the cowboy gun
WAHOOOOOOOOOO YEHAWWWWWWW

Online Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 08:48:36 PM »
I believe Delmonico took a bunch of pictures.  He said it would be few days before he could work on them.  I put half a dozen on the Facebook page.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 10:06:52 PM »
I have a few to put on sometime. Been too busy at work with a minor problem. I have video of Pony Express running a Skirmish Stage, a bunch of stills of Col. Drydock, and some stills of the camp. I will try to post them tomorrow if all goes well.
DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 11:41:07 AM »
It's gonna be late next week, till we get up and running at the new house.  I have 551 on the camera, looks like I got some good ones down in the gully.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 06:26:51 PM »
I'm anxious to see the pictures of the Muster. I know everone had fun, and enjoyed the food and fellowship.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 09:24:45 AM »
6, August 1876 (+135)

To: General U. S. Scout
Headquarters Grand Army of the Frontier
Near Washington City

Copies to: (Bvt.) Col. Major Matt Lewis Chief of Staff,
         (Bvt.) Col. Drydock Chief of Ordnance, 
         (Bvt. ) Col. Bull Schmidt Adjutant ,
and The ladies and gentlemen of the GAF at large

Sir:

I have the honor to submit my report following the 2011 Department of the Missouri Headquarters Muster of the Grand Army of the Frontier.

Except for a straggler or two, the men arrived Thursday afternoon and evening. The weather was quite hot, though I believe it was cooler than most of the same excursion one year ago. After an excellent meal of Cowboy Cheese Steak, the men busied themselves setting up camp and preparing for the action that they were sure to see on the morrow. Preparations were complete by the coming of darkness, and the men found themselves engaged in getting reacquainted and entertaining each other with stories.

Friday morning the men breakfasted on a hearty breakfast that Delmonico had prepared. Operations commenced with the Expansion Era Match side match. As it was last year, this match was held using the skirmish format but with a new twist; all knockdown silhouettes. The Blunt silhouette targets are challenging and quite enjoyable to see fall. This format requires fewer squad members to run each stage as there are no spotters needed. A timer/Range Officer and 2 brass shaggers are all that is really needed to run one of these stages safely.  Either the target fell or it didn’t. If it didn’t it is shot again until it does. This requires no mathematical computations for time penalties. Since reloads are an integral part of this format the shooter is expected to be able to safely load his weapon on the stage. The shooter therefore approaches the start line weapons empty, loads and holsters his side arm and then loads the rifle. The clock starts on his first shot. He moves through the course engaging targets as they present themselves. There are no procedural penalties because the shooter shoots the targets as they are seen, and thus no sweeps to memorize. The brass shaggers follow picking up the empties as they go. The Timer/RO of course maintains safety during the match. Following completion of the course the shooter demonstrates empty guns to the RO and as this small group retreat through the course back to the starting line the targets are reset. 

Following a late lunch the group commenced the long range rifle match. The 400 yard long range rifle match was once again found to be quite challenging. This long range match was a paper match. The participants were allowed 5 sight in shots followed by 10 shots for score. 2 men at a time went following each other. After the targets were scored the next pair fired their sighters.  After restoring ourselves with an outstanding evening meal we busied ourselves with preparations for the coming day’s action and renewing old acquaintances. After the weather cooled a bit the command set the targets for the next day.

The Main match utilized the same format as the Expansion Era Match did. It should be noted that several of the participants of this Muster had never shot a match that followed the skirmish format. I heard nothing but positive comments from them. In fact the newest member of the GAF Stu Kettle; who comes to use from SASS, obviously had no problem adapting to the new format as he shot the match in the fastest time. So fast in fact, that his time for the entire match was less than most of us shot a single stage.
As an example of what a skirmish stage might be like I will describe the final stage we shot Saturday evening. The shooter found himself stationed in the earth works in front of Fort Scotsman. The enemy hoard is fast approaching and the shooter is down to only 5 rounds rifle and 5 rounds pistol on his person. He shoots the rifle targets on his front until his rifle ammunition is gone and starts his retreat to the fort. On the way he is jumped by five more enemies at close range he pulls his side arm and eliminates this threat. One last enemy is in his way so he fixes bayonet and clears his path. At the fort he replenishes his ammunition and clears the enemy in the front including any that he missed while he was still outside the fort walls. For most participants, this stage took between 20 and 30 rounds of rifle ammunition and the 5 pistol rounds.

I totaled the scores early Sunday morning and the certificates were awarded to the men. At this point we broke camp and the men returned to their home quarters.

Our mess consisted of 14 Brave souls including camp followers. This number had been reduced by a number of family emergencies including 2 separate funerals. Pre-registration was half again more than last year and I fully expect this number to grow until I have to cap it to keep the number of participants at a manageable number, both for the cook and for squad size.

Here I should thank a number of people: The Sargent Lions Club for sponsoring the insurance; Lt. Col. Dusty Tagalon for printing  the winners certificates; Lt. Col. Ned Neiderlander, for building the traveling trophies and his efforts building camp equipage, the targets and props (the Maxim guns were really cool, Y’all shoulda seen them) Major Bowview Haymaker for donating the outhouse; Capt. River City John for donating the door prize; and finally Capt. Delmonico. For those of you who missed this match, the food alone was reason enough to come to this Muster. It is simply amazing what Delmonico can make in dutch ovens. Thanks Glen!
Improvements to the range and camp site have already begun for next year!

RESULTS:

Department Champion: Chuck Luetkemeyer – 1st Marksman, 1st Field Uniform

Main Match:
Marksman
1st D. Chuck Luetkemeyer ( Col. Drydock)
2nd LesRichardson (Pony Express)

Rifleman
1st Dale Beethe (Lt. Col. Ned Neiderlander)
2nd Jerry Davenport (Pitspitr)
3rd Donnie Luetkemeyer (Cpl. Chauffeur)

Scout
1st Stu Kettle
2nd River City John
3rd Bowview Haymaker (Paul Arens)

Field Uniform
1st Chuck Luetkemeyer
2nd Jerry Davenport
3rd Les Richardson

Camp Award

1st D. Chuck Luetkemeyer ( Col. Drydock)

Expansion Era Match
Expansion Era Champion: Dale Beethe (1st Regular, Second Uniform)
Regular
1st Dale Beethe
2nd Jerry Davenport

Volunteer
1st Les Richardson
2nd Chuck Luetkemeyer

Guardsman
1st Steve Summers (Stu Kettle)
2nd Donnie Luetkemeyer (Cpl. Chauffeur)
3rd Bowview Haymaker (Paul Arens)

Expansion Era Uniform
1st Jerry Davenport