Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 14, 2014, 09:00:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Shooter's Meeting (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Camille Eonich, Texas Lawdog)  |  Topic: Building a gun cart 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Building a gun cart  (Read 4778 times)
Bugscuffle
Top Active Citizen

« on: August 03, 2011, 08:32:28 pm »

As with most of my projects I've figured out that I can probably buy a cart for less than it will take me to build one, but I want to do it anyway. The lumber is no problem, Home Depot and Lowes are full of it, but where do you buy the wheels, axles and bearings? I really don't want to take my Grandaughters tricycle apart for this. She's pretty smart and would figure it out right away.

I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.
Old Top
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 12:22:22 am »

Bugscuffle,

Home Depot and Lowes have wheels too, in the lawn mower section is where I found them

Old Top

I only shoot to support my reloading habit.
wildman1
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 04:59:17 am »

BS, get at least 12" wheels as the larger they are the easier they will roll over obstacles.  Smiley WM

WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.
Bow View Haymaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 08:46:44 am »

Wheels, go tonyour local small engine rfepair shop. ask if they have any old high wheel push mowers out back in the scrap pileand if you can take thebig rear wheels off.  some may wany $10 for a pair some might be free.  you might even be able to get an azel and/or hight adjusters ifyou want to use them.  I just used a bolt and locknut and washers on mine.  hard rubber tires to not go flat.  bigwheels to roll easy. plastic or wire spokes. 
Just an idea.

Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com
Bugscuffle
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 02:05:17 pm »

Bugscuffle,

Home Depot and Lowes have wheels too, in the lawn mower section is where I found them

Old Top

Lawnmower section huh? Thanks, I never thought of that. Too much like work over in that section.

I will no longer respond to the rants of the small minded that want to sling mud rather than discuss in an adult manner.
Cookie
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 03:00:26 pm »

At Harbor Freight you can get pneumatic wheels for $10, less if on sale. (And they're often on sale)

I've used hard plastic wheels, but pneumatic wheels are much, much better on soft ground & gravel.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-pneumatic-tire-30900.html
Cookie
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 03:21:34 pm »

Here's the wheels on my 2 carts.

* guncart.jpg (37.41 KB, 254x254 - viewed 348 times.)
WaddWatsonEllis
Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 04:10:32 pm »

Just a thought, if you are ever thinking about shooting with NCOWS, I think they have  a rule against 'pneumatic tires' ...

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403
Bugscuffle
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 05:02:39 pm »

Just a thought, if you are ever thinking about shooting with NCOWS, I think they have  a rule against 'pneumatic tires' ...

I sould have expected something like that from NCOWS. They have rules against everything. Heck, if they had their way, they'd have yiu take the bullets out of the cartridges and throw them at the targets.

RickB
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Black Jack

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 08:08:19 pm »

NCOWS just tries to stay authentic. If we have our way people wouldn't be dressed like Howdy Doodie shooting non period correct guns wearing buscadero rigs while wearing baseball caps.  Wink

But we do expect you to use what would have been available in the period we are supposed to be replecating.

Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.
Curley Cole
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 02:01:28 am »

I got this cart used for $100 and has served me well for over 5yrs. I found some replacement wheels at a liquidation store for $4 each. But haven't needed to use them yet. These wheels do great over rocks etc....

curley

Scars are tatoos with better stories.
The Cowboys
Silver Queen Mine Regulators
dammit gang
Bow View Haymaker
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 09:13:40 am »

Here is a pic ifound of my cart. Itain't pretty but functions well, and folds down if needed. started with the box from an auction and the wheels from above mentioned source.  put the rest together quickly with the idea of building a better/nicer looking one later.  been using it for almost 4  years now.  I like not having to worry about flat tires.

* cart.bmp (375.58 KB, 325x394 - viewed 290 times.)

Bow View Haymaker

GAF #522  Dept of the Platte
SASS# 67733 (RO II)
NRA life

Paul Arens

www.HighPlainsShootersSupply.com
Forty Rod
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 09:38:10 am »

NCOWS just tries to stay authentic. If we have our way people wouldn't be dressed like Howdy Doodie shooting non period correct guns wearing buscadero rigs while wearing baseball caps.  Wink

But we do expect you to use what would have been available in the period we are supposed to be replecating.

Like gun carts?   Roll Eyes

People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.
John Smith
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 09:57:31 am »

I sould have expected something like that from NCOWS. They have rules against everything. Heck, if they had their way, they'd have yiu take the bullets out of the cartridges and throw them at the targets.

Since you obviously know even less about NCOWS than SASS, I would recommend you actually read the rules before you comment on them.  The NCOWS "Tally Book" is much smaller than the 3 volums needed by SASS.  Here's their website if you would care to visit it.   http://www.ncows.org/   BTW, I shoot NCOWS matches with the same firearms and clothing that I do in SASS.
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

NCOWS Senator * Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 12:21:19 pm »

Thank you John.... you saved me the retort I had planned  Roll Eyes

FYI Bugs...NCOWS discourages gun carts, it does not outlaw them outright , pneumatic tires or otherwise.
We do ask they be kepted off and well back of the shooting line.

however two classes Working Cowboy & Originals does  not allow them period....
they are just not needed both being two gun classes
rickk
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 10:01:45 pm »

tractor supply is a good place to shop as well.
WaddWatsonEllis
Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 11:59:36 pm »

I stand corrected and bow to the better knowledge of our gentlemen on this post .... I had thought that I had read that, but the pneumatic thing must have been some anecdotal information that I accepted as a truism ...

My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403
Major 2
"Still running against the wind"
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

NCOWS Senator * Cracker Cow Cavalry

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 08:55:40 am »

Wadd... I meant "outlawing" Carts themselves.

pneumatic tires however are just more like putting salt in a wound.

There were pull carts like these...  If one must have a cart these are period ( not gun carts but would serve )

* 13592v.jpg (168.49 KB, 633x369 - viewed 239 times.)

* Copy4of13233v.jpg (44.23 KB, 828x409 - viewed 176 times.)
RickB
NCOWS
Top Active Citizen

Black Jack

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 12:01:12 pm »

Like gun carts?   Roll Eyes

I don't use a gun cart. And most NCOWS members don't. 

Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.
Camille Eonich
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 01:20:52 pm »

Y'all play nice please.  Wink

“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood
wildman1
American Plainsmen Society
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 03:53:34 pm »

Gun carts is like guns, one is never enough.  Roll Eyes  WM

WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.
Jefro
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

know matter where you go, there you are

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 05:45:18 pm »

Rolan Kraps has a couple of easy plans, light, folding, easy to haul. I built a 5 gun version of the Rough Rider out of 1x3 oak from Lowes, and the 3 Gun Ultra Lite from 1x3 pine. I made the bottoms out of 1/2" treated plywood instead of 1x4 to reduce weight. Plus I added a tray on the back of both for drinks and stuff. Well worth the $6.25 download. I carry a light folding chair, so instead of building the ammo boxes I use fabric Igloo coolers in thier place to cut down even more weight. I made a few more modifications like padded gun rests..etc.. to suit me, bought the tires at lawn mower supply. The biggest mistake I see in first time gun carts is they are way to bulky and heavy. Good Luck Smiley
Rough Rider
Ultra Light 3 Gun

Jefro Grin Relax-Enjoy

sass # 69420....JEDI GF #104.....NC Soot Lord....CFDA#1362
44-40 takes a back seat to no other caliber
Popa Kapoff
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2011, 08:01:20 pm »

Got mine at http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_tires-wheels

Till we meet keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.
cpt dan blodgett
Top Active Citizen

SASS Conv 2013

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 11:52:58 am »

As with most of my projects I've figured out that I can probably buy a cart for less than it will take me to build one, but I want to do it anyway. The lumber is no problem, Home Depot and Lowes are full of it, but where do you buy the wheels, axles and bearings? I really don't want to take my Grandaughters tricycle apart for this. She's pretty smart and would figure it out right away.

Made mine out of Oak Boards, some Oak Plywood, brass screws. drawer handles, hinges and windo latchs (a lot of them).  Would have been much better off buying one.  Used some plans off the internet.  In retrospect, should have used my plastic ammo boxes and shotgun shell boxes and planned the cart around the ammo storage box.  Dillion Boxes and shot gun shells do not pack really efficiently.
Had I done that the Cart may have been a couple of inches wider or longer.

Still have not built a tray up by the handles.  Will also have to make a platform for C & B loaders for plainsman and frontiersman.  Have the wood, been putting it off for a few years now.

Queen of Battle - "Follow Me"
NRA Life
DAV Life
ROI, ROII
Stew
Citizen

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 06:59:52 am »

I built this a few years back, made from Poplar wood. The axel is 3/4” steel turned down to ˝” I think for the wheels.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  CAS TOPICS  |  Shooter's Meeting (Moderators: Marshal Halloway, Camille Eonich, Texas Lawdog)  |  Topic: Building a gun cart « previous next »
Jump to: