Author Topic: Tracking my Spencer? (Or other Armisport / Chiappa Firearm)  (Read 1986 times)

Offline nactorman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tracking my Spencer? (Or other Armisport / Chiappa Firearm)
« on: August 01, 2011, 11:15:28 AM »
Howdy Fellow Spencer Shooters,

I was looking at the news online today and I happened to see a headline that read something like:

Gun Manufacturers Adding Chips To Firearms.

What caught my eye was that the article was about Chiappa Firearms (makers of our Armisport Spencers). The article referenced and linked to a blog about the company's installation of RFID chips in their firearms, supposedly for inventory tracking purposes. The concern, however, was that the chips could be used/misused/abused.

I know some of the folks on here have contacts with Chiappa Firearms and maybe can either verify or debunk this. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I would like to know if this RFID business is real. The blog and information my be found at the following link:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/07/29/chiappa-adding-rfid-chips-to-their-guns-mks-suggests-concerned-consumers-wrap-the-revolver-and-their-head-in-aluminum-foil/

Thanks very much.

Charles
"nactorman"

Offline PvtGreg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Tracking my Spencer? (Or other Armisport / Chiappa Firearm)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 12:44:37 PM »
I suspect its for inventory control, but you never know with EU stuff.  Also RFID chips for inventory control don't have a 30 meter range, but neither dare they limited to a 2-3 in range.  Its more like 30 inches, depending on conditions. 

If this is a chip other than for inventory control then it could have extensive range.  Again with EU laws you never know. 

The more expensive the chip the more expensive the item.  I would think they would use the cheapest chip possible unless they are forced to do something else by law.

Anyone concerned can to a few things.

1) Not buy
2) Destroy the chip, or pry it off - this is a very easy operation.

I also would bet the the US importers would have an issue with this as well and would force some sort of corrective action.

I guess I always figure that if someone (a government or company) wants to track you bad enough they can.  Heck East Germany had 1 person for every three people in the country on the payroll just to rat on people's activities & they had no tech to help.

As a software systems architect I am always amazed that people use Facebook; they go out of their way to track you.  Microsoft, Apple and Google's not much better, but there are ways to largely stymie them.

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 06:39:06 AM »
Hello SSS,

I received this reply from Chiappa Arms in Italy regarding the RFID Chip that had raised concerns on SSS.  This is the PR from Armi Sport/Chiappa Arms.

For a better read, please right click and print it out for your own hard copy.  Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:59:18 AM »

Offline nactorman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 10:36:17 AM »
Great information. Thanks for posting. There was a lot of different information floating around the internet about it and I'm glad to hear the "straight skinny" from those who know.
  Nactorman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com