Javascript DHTML Drop Down Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 30, 2014, 07:03:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
* Home FlashChat Help Calendar Login Register
Currently there are 0 Users in the Cas City Chat Rooms!
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Spencer Shooting Society (Moderator: Two Flints)  |  Topic: Tracking my Spencer? (Or other Armisport / Chiappa Firearm) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tracking my Spencer? (Or other Armisport / Chiappa Firearm)  (Read 723 times)
nactorman
Very Active Citizen

« on: August 01, 2011, 11:15:28 am »

Howdy Fellow Spencer Shooters,

I was looking at the news online today and I happened to see a headline that read something like:

Gun Manufacturers Adding Chips To Firearms.

What caught my eye was that the article was about Chiappa Firearms (makers of our Armisport Spencers). The article referenced and linked to a blog about the company's installation of RFID chips in their firearms, supposedly for inventory tracking purposes. The concern, however, was that the chips could be used/misused/abused.

I know some of the folks on here have contacts with Chiappa Firearms and maybe can either verify or debunk this. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I would like to know if this RFID business is real. The blog and information my be found at the following link:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/07/29/chiappa-adding-rfid-chips-to-their-guns-mks-suggests-concerned-consumers-wrap-the-revolver-and-their-head-in-aluminum-foil/

Thanks very much.

Charles
"nactorman"
PvtGreg
Top Active Citizen

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 12:44:37 pm »

I suspect its for inventory control, but you never know with EU stuff.  Also RFID chips for inventory control don't have a 30 meter range, but neither dare they limited to a 2-3 in range.  Its more like 30 inches, depending on conditions. 

If this is a chip other than for inventory control then it could have extensive range.  Again with EU laws you never know. 

The more expensive the chip the more expensive the item.  I would think they would use the cheapest chip possible unless they are forced to do something else by law.

Anyone concerned can to a few things.

1) Not buy
2) Destroy the chip, or pry it off - this is a very easy operation.

I also would bet the the US importers would have an issue with this as well and would force some sort of corrective action.

I guess I always figure that if someone (a government or company) wants to track you bad enough they can.  Heck East Germany had 1 person for every three people in the country on the payroll just to rat on people's activities & they had no tech to help.

As a software systems architect I am always amazed that people use Facebook; they go out of their way to track you.  Microsoft, Apple and Google's not much better, but there are ways to largely stymie them.
Two Flints
Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
Deputy Marshal
Top Active Citizen

Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 06:39:06 am »

Hello SSS,

I received this reply from Chiappa Arms in Italy regarding the RFID Chip that had raised concerns on SSS.  This is the PR from Armi Sport/Chiappa Arms.

For a better read, please right click and print it out for your own hard copy.  Two Flints

Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery
nactorman
Very Active Citizen

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 10:36:17 am »

Great information. Thanks for posting. There was a lot of different information floating around the internet about it and I'm glad to hear the "straight skinny" from those who know.
  Nactorman
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
Cas City Forum Hall & CAS-L  |  Special Interests - Groups & Societies  |  Spencer Shooting Society (Moderator: Two Flints)  |  Topic: Tracking my Spencer? (Or other Armisport / Chiappa Firearm) « previous next »
Jump to: