Author Topic: Period round, but did Colt every chamber the SAA for it ?  (Read 7002 times)

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Period round, but did Colt every chamber the SAA for it ?
« on: July 26, 2011, 09:57:35 PM »
Did Colt ever chamber the SAA for the .44 Colt round ?

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Period round, but did Colt every chamber the SAA for it ?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 11:30:37 PM »
Colt made the following .44s:

.44 Smoothbore
.44 Rimfire
.44 German
.44 Russian
.44 S&W
.44 S&W Special
.44-40

The .44 Colt in its original heeled bullet loading was actually a .45.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 02:11:33 AM »
Did Colt ever chamber the SAA for the .44 Colt round ?

Yes, but damn few. I know of at least one and maybe two.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:22:43 PM »

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 406
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 09:59:57 AM »
Weren't the first couple of SAAs shown to the Army in .44Colt?  It would be a logical move at the time as that was the round for the conversions in service.

However, at about that time heeled bullets were becoming passe, and the Army had decided on a common calibre; - .45
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 10:23:51 AM »
The .44 Colt round is most closely associated with the Open-Top and various Conversions of the Model 1860 Army.

It would work in the Model 1875 Remington, and at the time, it did.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 02:24:11 PM »
Weren't the first couple of SAAs shown to the Army in .44Colt?  It would be a logical move at the time as that was the round for the conversions in service.

However, at about that time heeled bullets were becoming passe, and the Army had decided on a common calibre; - .45

Nope. The very first Colt SAA presented to the Military was in .44 S&W Russian. However, as the military already had approx. 1,000 S&W 1st Model Americans in service they requested that before testing began that the chambering be changed to .44 American & Colt complied, although W.B. Franklin, the president of Colt, was a vociferous supporter of the .44 Russian ctg. and went so far as to submit to the Military test targets shot by the same gun with two different cylinders and the Russian was clearly the better shooter. This was most likely due to the step in the chamber mouth of the Russian cylinder as the .44 Russian used OUTSIDE lubed bullets until the 1880's.

Interestingly, the Military, which had over 1,000 Colt 1st Model Richards in service at the time, did not consider the .44 Colt for the new Model P (SAA). I have theorized on this thinking it may have had to do with the early problems with the Martin primed ctgs. but the same issue plagued the early .44 American ctgs. That is why the Military dropped the Martin primed style ctgs. in March of 1868 for the Benet cup-primed cartridges in rifles/carbines and in .44 Colt in December of 1871

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 09:20:27 AM »
I have been reading the Colt SAA and the London Agency.  The book is saying Colt SN: S/1 was chambered for the S&W .44 American.  Pistol S/1 was a sample sent to the London Agency.  Some very interesting data compiled from letters between Franklin and von Oppen.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 06:30:20 PM »
Ah, now that is a question. I have seen books where some say they did (but only 1 or 2) and books where they say they didn't and that the listing that was believed to be 44 Colt was actually some other 44 caliber cartridge. I've even seen a book that showed a picture of a SAA that was chambered in 44 Colt, altho the picture was small enough that I don't think you could ever be sure.

But if you were to put a 44 rimfire or possibly a 44 American cylinder into a 45 Colt revolver would you not basicaly have a 44 Colt SAA? ???

And with the modern incarnation of the 44 Colt (using the inside lubed bullet) isn't every 44 special revolver also a 44 Colt revolver? A '44 Colt and S&W Special' chambering? ???

God I need a cup of coffee, the mind is drifting.  ;D

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 10:07:57 AM »
This was most likely due to the step in the chamber mouth of the Russian cylinder as the .44 Russian used OUTSIDE lubed bullets until the 1880's.
I think you mean the Russian was loaded with INSIDE lubed bullets, which was its whole reason for being.

According to my literature, there were 24 .44S&W's, 1863 .44 rimfire and 154 .44Russians but no mention of .44Colt production figures but it is mentioned in the text. Then in Haven & Belden's "History of the Colt Revolver", the .44Colt centerfire is mentioned as a production chambering.
SASS #81,827

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 11:32:03 AM »
According to A Study of the Colt Single Action Army Revolver by Graham, Kopec, and Moore, the first SAA made was a .44 Colt / .44 Russian due to a mix up in specs.  Apparently both rounds would function well. 

Much later there was a 16" "Buntline Special" with a skeleton stock produced in .44 Colt...One item only.  I couldn't find any others, but the search was admittedly very brief.

Seems the .44 Colt was primarily a round for conversions.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 11:38:07 PM »
I think you mean the Russian was loaded with INSIDE lubed bullets, which was its whole reason for being...

Nope, I meant what I said. Ammo cos. did not make an inside lubed .44 Russian rd. until the 1880's at the behest of a champion target shooter due to fouling. This was discussed in an excellent article in 2003 or so in Handloader magazine. Here's some photos if you scroll down on the link:

http://www.oldammo.com/september04.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com