Author Topic: New Dude on the ranch needs some Schofield Advice  (Read 3678 times)

Offline Wolf Killer

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Dude on the ranch needs some Schofield Advice
« on: July 23, 2011, 05:13:39 PM »

View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)

Buying a Schofield, and need some advice
« on: Today at 04:38:50 pm »
   Reply with quote Modify message Remove message

Howdy,
In 1969, I had the opportunity to fire an original Schofield #3, and ever since I have wanted one for my own.
Thanks to selling a bunch of big boy toys that I haven't used for years, I can now afford to put one in leather.

I do need some advice. I have read a lot of posts on many forums of poor performance of early guns, such as timing weak lockup and the most dreaded, the unmatched chamber and barrel dimensions.

This makes my question, are the current production Uberti Schofields free of these problems? I have seen some great You Tube videos of a fellow cutting a one inch group a number of times with no function problems. So, I am wondering if the current production pistols can be trusted?
My gun store can get me one now at a rather good price, considering the retail price and lack of stock from most distributors I would like to place the order.

Thanks,
Wolf Killer

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: New Dude on the ranch needs some Schofield Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 08:51:09 AM »
Why not spend some time looking through the 'back pages' of this forum?

Most (if not all) of the questions about reliability and such have already been dealt with previously.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 11:09:03 AM »

View Profile Email Personal Message (Online)

Buying a Schofield, and need some advice
« on: Today at 04:38:50 pm »
   Reply with quote Modify message Remove message

Howdy,
In 1969, I had the opportunity to fire an original Schofield #3, and ever since I have wanted one for my own.
Thanks to selling a bunch of big boy toys that I haven't used for years, I can now afford to put one in leather.

I do need some advice. I have read a lot of posts on many forums of poor performance of early guns, such as timing weak lockup and the most dreaded, the unmatched chamber and barrel dimensions.

This makes my question, are the current production Uberti Schofields free of these problems? I have seen some great You Tube videos of a fellow cutting a one inch group a number of times with no function problems. So, I am wondering if the current production pistols can be trusted?
My gun store can get me one now at a rather good price, considering the retail price and lack of stock from most distributors I would like to place the order.

Thanks,
Wolf Killer

Wolf Killer,

I own five Uberti made No. 3 top break replicas.

They all run great.  Put your fears aside and get your revolver.

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:26:32 AM »

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 02:21:52 PM »
Howdy

It was the early ASM built Schofields that had most of the quality problems. They are no longer being made. The Uberti Schofields seem to have much less problems.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Badlands Beady

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 05:07:30 PM »
Or, look around for a S&W 2000 Schofield, S&W's own copy of the original.  Pricey ($1500 - $2000), but worth it, and they approeciate in value, like Colt and unlike Uberti.  There's usually one or two for sale on Gunbroker and GunsAmerica.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 09:15:49 AM »
I have three Uberti Schofields and all function well and did so as received.  The two main complaints I hear about concerning these models deal with a sensitivity to black powder loads and failure to eject spent 45Colt brass reliably.  It would seem that most of these guns just will not handle black powder and lock up pretty quickly with its use.  There are reasons for this and the explanations can be found by searching the forum BUT to muddy the waters is the fact that a small number of them do well with black powder, two of my three guns will run an entire match without any upkeep while the third locks up during the first stage!  The small case rim of the 45 Colt cartridge will occasionally slip under the star and lock things up a bit but with a bit of practice you will learn an ejection technique that prevents this from happening very often or you might try the larger rimmed 45 Schofield cartridge.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com