Author Topic: Real Colt ?  (Read 18048 times)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Real Colt ?
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2012, 08:48:23 AM »
Indeed.

Given the article cited above, under the subcontractor agreement to produce 2nd Generation percussion models, Imperato's responsibilities were to manufacture the revolvers to Colt's strict specifications, then ship the finished product to its Hartford facilities. Colt's then performed final inspection and shipped the revolvers to distributors.

This is why Colt historical letters for 2nd Generation percussion revolvers contain exactly the same type of information one finds in letters for original percussion models, Single Action Armys and other models.

If Colt will letter those revolvers - then Colt views them as 'real Colts'.

They will 'not' letter the 'Colt Blackpowder Arms Co. Signature Series' revolvers.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Fingers McGee

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2012, 11:21:26 AM »
Hay Fingers as Yogi Berra said " It's like DEJA VU all over again"

do do, do do; do do, do do.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2012, 05:30:18 PM »
Indeed.

Given the article cited above, under the subcontractor agreement to produce 2nd Generation percussion models, Imperato's responsibilities were to manufacture the revolvers to Colt's strict specifications, then ship the finished product to its Hartford facilities. Colt's then performed final inspection and shipped the revolvers to distributors.

This is why Colt historical letters for 2nd Generation percussion revolvers contain exactly the same type of information one finds in letters for original percussion models, Single Action Armys and other models.

If Colt will letter those revolvers - then Colt views them as 'real Colts'.

They will 'not' letter the 'Colt Blackpowder Arms Co. Signature Series' revolvers.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

That's interesting.  I have never considered the so called third generation or Signature series to be "real" Colts.  Several people on this site have, however, pointed out that Colt does, in fact, letter them (if anyone is dumb enough to want a letter on a modern reproduction).

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 04:01:28 PM »

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2012, 06:39:18 PM »
That's interesting.  I have never considered the so called third generation or Signature series to be "real" Colts.  Several people on this site have, however, pointed out that Colt does, in fact, letter them (if anyone is dumb enough to want a letter on a modern reproduction).

I've heard the rumors that Colt's would letter a Sig Series gun.  The only Signature Series Colts that I have physicallty seen the letters on were a pair of Colt Custom Shop engraved Sig Series 1860's.  The letters plainly stated that the guns were not Colt's, and that only the engraving and caseing of the set was done by Colt.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 11:01:37 PM »
I've heard the rumors that Colt's would letter a Sig Series gun.  The only Signature Series Colts that I have physicallty seen the letters on were a pair of Colt Custom Shop engraved Sig Series 1860's.  The letters plainly stated that the guns were not Colt's, and that only the engraving and caseing of the set was done by Colt.

That's what I always thought, the Signature Series was simply a deal where someone licensed the name.  I can't remember who it was, but someone on this wire made quite a case that they are considered "3rd Gen" Colt BP guns.  To me they are just nicely finished Ubertis in gray boxes.

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 11:05:20 PM »
That's all they are.

Colt Blackpowder Arms Co. was Lou Imperato's Iver Johnson plant - not the Colt factory.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 423
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 06:33:11 AM »
I believe Colt charges $100 to letter ...may be $125 now...

I've read they will letter a  Signature Series reproduction for $75  :-\
why would they not ?   :) ... that's Capitalism,  an Iraqi National, the State of Connecticut, and the UAW profits.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Big Bear Lowe

• Rocky Branch Regulators, SASS #4474 (BM Patron /Life), NRA Life, GOA Life, NMLRA Life, Colt Collectors Assn., NCOWS Life, Tennessee Squires Association, Master Mason, Dirty Rat #639, Rocky Branch Long Rifles
  • Active citizen
  • SASS #: #4474
  • NCOWS #: L-202
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 05:52:14 PM »
According to some of the logic used to condemn second generation Colts as not "real" Colts, would it be a logical leap to conclude that a 1st generation Walker (or a Whitneyville Dragoon for that matter) are not "real" Colt revolvers due to their being produced in a non-Colt facility and not by Colt gunsmiths?  Not sure where the 3rd generation stands but I regard the second generation as "true" Colt revolvers.  I own and shoot examples of all 3 generations (although not much with the elder statesmen I have been priveleged to steward) and enjoy each and every one to different degrees.  Old Sams legacy lives on!

Many thanks for all who opine on this and other subjects on this forum.  I feel I am among the faithful.

Michael Lowe
A Jug-Band Man Livin' in a Hip Hop World

Offline Doc Sunrise

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2012, 03:33:53 AM »
Big Bear Lowe,

You are spot on.  Anytime Colt puts its fullest capabilities behind a product they have placed their name on, it means that Colt is satisfied, regardless of where materials were made, regardless of who did the work, that the product has met Colts Specifications to be considered a Colt Product.  Sam Colt used many vendors located in and out of his plant over his lifetime to get products made.  He was a true business man who utilized sub-contracting from the beginning.  It made no difference to him if a machine and craftsman was owned by him under his roof, or owned by someone outside under his roof or someone else's roof in this country or in another country.  As long as the finished product was built because of his say so and to his specs, and that he profited by that product being sold.

Offline Hess Coakley

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2012, 10:34:17 AM »
Interesting...For what its worth, I'm in the "C" series being a Colt camp when it comes down to it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com