Author Topic: SASS Equipment Requirements  (Read 13979 times)

Offline 4Fingers

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
SASS Equipment Requirements
« on: July 17, 2011, 05:54:42 PM »
Sorry for asking about such basic stuff, but every time I try to get answers to questions about the "cowboy action shooting" game on the SASS site, or other sites,  I get a bunch of ads and BS and problems and after wading through tons of crap I still can't figure out how to find answers to fundamental questions.... for example.......which guns are required....pistols, rifles, shotguns.....there has to be an answer but it's like a super secret society or something....sheesh.  What is is the timer thing-a-ma-jiggy about.....I see videos of a guy standing behing shooters with a gizmo that I presume is timing how fast they can waste ammo. 

I'm begging you.....surely someone can explain it to me like the second child-hood senior citizen that I am.  Where is there a web site for cowboy action shooting that is simple to navigate and understand?

Thanks,

Old and Decrepit in California     

Offline 4Fingers

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
Re: SASS Equipment Requirements
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 06:15:01 PM »
Never mind.....I finally found a .PDF of the "rules".   Looks like it will only take a few weeks for me to figure out what the heck is going on and what guns I may need to buy. 

Interesting that 6 people looked at my post and didn't know what to tell me.

VR

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 06:19:45 PM »
4Fingers,

Try the "Official SASS Handbooks":

http://sassnet.com/Shooters-Handbook-001A.php

Each club might and will have their own lists as well for their "fun shoots" that usually include other manufactures and models...

Rule of thumb:  if it was made and used in the 1800's and it shoots "pistol" cartridge or cap&ball it's legal as I'm positive that others will chime in and tell me how stupid I am on this statement....   ::)

Good luck
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:04:48 AM »

Offline 4Fingers

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 06:37:33 PM »
Yup, I certainly am in the same camp when it comes to people telling me how wrong I am at any particular moment in time.....thank you....you are the first and only brave soul to dare to help me.

thanks again,

VR

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 07:48:25 PM »
4 Fingers,

It does seem a might confusing starting out, there are a few web sites Captain Balyors being one that can take you through the guns, clothing, hats ect.  You will need a basic of four guns, a shotgun which can be a 16, 12 or 10 gague it may be a 97 pump(the only pump that may be used in SASS), a hammer or hammerless double barrel or a lever action. You will need a rifle in pistol caliber which would be 32 through 45, it would be a plus to have your two pistols in the same caliber, most popular is the winchester 73, but you have the Marlins, and the 92 winchester, 66 winchester, Henry rifle, I would not recomend a 94 winchester as they are not found too often in pistol caliber, the Henry Big  Boy is in there too but I have not seen anyone shooting one.  In pistols you have a mulitude, Colts, Colt clones, Ruger, Remington, Smith & Wesson ect.  Most shooters shoot 38 for ease of loading and finding brass and bullets, you will probably find with this game you will have to reload to be able to afford to shoot.  That is a whole other ballgame.  My preferance has come down to a 92 winchester, (untill I get a 66) and two Schofields, all in the one true caliber of 44-40, a Liberty II hammered double is my shotgun.  This works for me but you likes and dislikes will tell you what you want.  Go to a match and if you see a gun you like ask to shoot it most cowboy shooters have no problem with this, this will give you a feel of what you may want rather then spending the money on something that someone recomended but you do not care for after shooting it.  I hope this helps in starting you on the path to SASS shooting.

Old Top
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline Modoc

• Top Active Citizen
  • Editor, Shasta Regulators State of Jefferson
    • Shasta Regulators
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 08:09:57 PM »
4Fingers,

I have to second Old Top on the Things to look at.  Where in CA are you?  I'd definitely try and get out to a couple of the local matches to see what people are using.  If you are in the True-Northern California, I am willing to do some one on one time going through equipment and leather.  Drop me a PM if you are North of Sacramento.  Unfortunately our last monthly shoot was yesterday (3rd Saturday).

Also this site has a pretty good FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) a couple of levels down from the Longbranch.
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,18.0.html
Modoc

"He Who Laughs Last, Thinks Fastest"
SUDDS, SCORRS, Retired Warthog, Sometime Gunfighter, and Soot Deliante

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 08:52:28 PM »
4 Fingers,

Ment to add if you are in Southern Cal.  I would be more than happy to let you try what I have and walk you through the ins and outs.  I shoot most of the time at Burro Canyon in Azusa.  Let me know.

Old Top

I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline 4Fingers

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 11:16:10 PM »
4 Fingers,

It does seem a might confusing starting out, there are a few web sites Captain Balyors being one that can take you through the guns, clothing, hats ect.  You will need a basic of four guns, a shotgun which can be a 16, 12 or 10 gague it may be a 97 pump(the only pump that may be used in SASS), a hammer or hammerless double barrel or a lever action. You will need a rifle in pistol caliber which would be 32 through 45, it would be a plus to have your two pistols in the same caliber, most popular is the winchester 73, but you have the Marlins, and the 92 winchester, 66 winchester, Henry rifle, I would not recomend a 94 winchester as they are not found too often in pistol caliber, the Henry Big  Boy is in there too but I have not seen anyone shooting one.  In pistols you have a mulitude, Colts, Colt clones, Ruger, Remington, Smith & Wesson ect.  Most shooters shoot 38 for ease of loading and finding brass and bullets, you will probably find with this game you will have to reload to be able to afford to shoot.  That is a whole other ballgame.  My preferance has come down to a 92 winchester, (untill I get a 66) and two Schofields, all in the one true caliber of 44-40, a Liberty II hammered double is my shotgun.  This works for me but you likes and dislikes will tell you what you want.  Go to a match and if you see a gun you like ask to shoot it most cowboy shooters have no problem with this, this will give you a feel of what you may want rather then spending the money on something that someone recomended but you do not care for after shooting it.  I hope this helps in starting you on the path to SASS shooting.

Old Top

This info really helps, I'll try to find a match to attend.

Thanks.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 05:14:18 AM »
I believe 20 ga also. WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 01:55:38 PM »
Get two revolvers and lever action rifle in the same caliber,grab a shotgun and go to 5 Dogs or Kings River Regulators,better yet just go first! Just don't walk like Gomer Pyle,more like Andy.. :D Tell "em" Goober says hey~~tch"

http://www.kingsriverregulators.com/

http://5dogscreek.com/
Bunch a ole scudders!

Offline TwoWalks Baldridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 06:56:24 PM »
Sorry for asking about such basic stuff, but every time I try to get answers to questions about the "cowboy action shooting" game on the SASS site, or other sites,  I get a bunch of ads and BS and problems and after wading through tons of crap I still can't figure out how to find answers to fundamental questions.... for example.......which guns are required....pistols, rifles, shotguns.....there has to be an answer but it's like a super secret society or something....sheesh.  What is is the timer thing-a-ma-jiggy about.....I see videos of a guy standing behing shooters with a gizmo that I presume is timing how fast they can waste ammo. 

I'm begging you.....surely someone can explain it to me like the second child-hood senior citizen that I am.  Where is there a web site for cowboy action shooting that is simple to navigate and understand?

Thanks,

============================================

Never mind.....I finally found a .PDF of the "rules".   Looks like it will only take a few weeks for me to figure out what the heck is going on and what guns I may need to buy.

Interesting that 6 people looked at my post and didn't know what to tell me.

VR

Well first off how old and decrepit are ya?  The average CAS shooter is about sixty and a lot are in their 70's ... So are you saying your over 80? ;D

Too be honest, the first six folks that looked at your post probably figured you were not really interested but was just looking to bash the sport.  Perhaps they were like me and really did not know the answer too your question or at the very least was not sure exactly what you wanted to know.

2 revolvers of single action type with a few exceptions. A shot gun of approved caliber and vintage as well as a rifle that shoots pistol caliber with a fair number of variations.  Now that's not confusing is it?  ;D

Seriously ... it can be confusing when you first get interested and I am going to make my best suggestion for starting out.  Attend a couple matches and talk to folks before you really look at equipment.  There will probably be two or three clubs near you so check them all out and find a group you fit in with first and then they will help you choose what is best within the rules set by their club.
When guns are banned, fear the man with a hammer

Offline ChuteTheMall

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 11:21:16 PM »
Don't buy anything.

Except ear and eye protection.

Go to a match (or several) and you can see a lot just by looking. 8)

Then the SASS rulebooks and the Wire might make a bit more sense.

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 02:59:55 PM »
4 fingers, just curious, I went over to the SASS forum and couldn't find any posts by that name.  Did you use a different user name over there?

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 04:23:36 PM »
I might add to this a bit. It might matter also if it is SASS, NCOWS or other groups. NCOWS has classes such as working cowboy require simply a period correct pistol and rifle. The cloths you have a year to get right but have little knowledge of SASS since I shoot NCOWS. These groups are all similar but with slight difference in their idea of what they want to do.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline 4Fingers

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 05:07:21 PM »
4 fingers, just curious, I went over to the SASS forum and couldn't find any posts by that name.  Did you use a different user name over there?

I would have used the same handle if I could have figured out how to register for the forum......with your post as an incentive I decided to try again.  I was thrown off more than once by the "Members Only" tab in the past and again today it wanted 55 buck-a-roos to sign up.  Being stubbborn(and a knucklehead)I stopped there....but then went to the forum......the wire.... and hunted around for a long time and found a different place to "register" that allowed me to join up as a "Guest".....hallelujah.....for free.

Since I've humiliated myself long enough under the 4Fingers moniker you can look for me under "Kid Shelleen"(remember Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou?) from now on....at least on the SASS forum.

Thanks to all for your suggestions/comments........it's definitely helping me......for those who need to know I'm 63 and currently live near San Jose but get down  to my regular hacienda once a month  or so......which is in Escondido, CA.

The Kid:)

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »
I would have used the same handle if I could have figured out how to register for the forum......with your post as an incentive I decided to try again.  I was thrown off more than once by the "Members Only" tab in the past and again today it wanted 55 buck-a-roos to sign up.  Being stubbborn(and a knucklehead)I stopped there....but then went to the forum......the wire.... and hunted around for a long time and found a different place to "register" that allowed me to join up as a "Guest".....hallelujah.....for free.

Since I've humiliated myself long enough under the 4Fingers moniker you can look for me under "Kid Shelleen"(remember Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou?) from now on....at least on the SASS forum.

Thanks to all for your suggestions/comments........it's definitely helping me......for those who need to know I'm 63 and currently live near San Jose but get down  to my regular hacienda once a month  or so......which is in Escondido, CA.

The Kid:)

I'm really confused now, in your first post you said the SASS forum was not nice to you, but now you say you just registered under "Kid Shelleen" which by the way is the registered alias of a SASS (but not wire) member.  What name did you post undfer when you were chased off?

Offline 4Fingers

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 09:11:53 PM »
I'm really confused now, in your first post you said the SASS forum was not nice to you, but now you say you just registered under "Kid Shelleen" which by the way is the registered alias of a SASS (but not wire) member.  What name did you post undfer when you were chased off?

Not nice to me?  Chased off?  I've read my original post and I don't see anything along those lines.  Where does it say I posted on the SASS forum or got anywhere near it?  I guess I should be glad there is someone that is actually more confused than I am.

Offline John Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 10:29:10 PM »

Thanks,

Sure sounds like you posted on the SASS site to me, and weren't happy with your responses, your words not mine.  Still curious what user name you used when you "got a bunch of BS and problems"?

Offline 4Fingers

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 11:07:45 PM »
Sure sounds like you posted on the SASS site to me, and weren't happy with your responses, your words not mine.  Still curious what user name you used when you "got a bunch of BS and problems"?

Well, sir, do you know what they say about arguing with an idiot?  I'll leave you to your overactive imagination and bid you farewell.

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 06:39:42 AM »
4Fingers, I have ta concur with you on that site, I've been over there a couple of times and haven't got it figured out yet.  :) WM
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com