Author Topic: Off topic/ Link to question about woodworking  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Winston Dawg

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Off topic/ Link to question about woodworking
« on: August 08, 2005, 01:47:30 AM »
Howdy,

Do we have any woodworkers lurking/visiting here? 

I am posting link to a question about building a rolltop desk that I posted at TFS.
Appreciate any ideas!

http://www.frontierspot.org/viewtopic.php?t=1323

Hugs WD

Badlands Walker

Re: Off topic/ Link to question about woodworking
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 08:28:16 AM »
I would recommend that you purchase the Tambour Door set-up first, cuz the wood might be hard to match in the rest of the desk.  You can take the rolled up door with you when you go to purchase the wood you will be makin' the desk from.  Many of the home made roll tops I have seen in the past, the door is always different in color or stain from the desk, because the door didn't match the rest of the wood bein' used.  JMHO! 8)

Offline Winston Dawg

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 10:23:28 AM »
Great idea! Have seen that too.Wondered why!
Thanks

Any other ideas?

hugs WD

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:31:16 PM »

Badlands Walker

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 10:30:51 AM »
Most of the Tambour Doors I have seen are usually made of oak.  A hard wood is needed because of so much use in the movement of the product.  To build a roll-top of solid oak is going to be very expensive.  I suggest that you use a veneer wood to make the large panels & suggest pine for all the drawer inserts.  Make sure that you get the best quality drawer tracks that you can afford.  This is the most important part of any desk.  Good luck with the project! ;)

An after-thought!  Also, you may want to check with a few local cabinet shops in your area to see if they would consider selling you the veneer panels.  I have seen some cabinet shops actually do this & they buy only the best wood, if they are a reputable builder.  Most lumber yards don't carry good quality wood like you would use to build a fine piece of furniture.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com