Author Topic: What have you guys got against the RIA Basic 1911?  (Read 17335 times)

Offline fowler

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What have you guys got against the RIA Basic 1911?
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 09:44:08 PM »
  For me I want a correct period type 1911 that is blue and with true 1911 features for western shooting. Modern raceguns and 1911a1 and stainless wrong era parts is like riding a Harley Davidson instead of a horse. I like it  like  it was not like the wanna make-up rules  of today. Next thing we will see is AR-15,s instead of leverguns for pre-1920 westerns.  Boys and there toys not history.

Offline Roscoe Coles

• Top Active Citizen
  • SSS Spencer Shotgun Resident Expert
  • SASS #: 1188
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 10:32:32 AM »
The RIA has some features that make it a good choice for WB.  Its loose enough to be reliable (some of the highly tuned, tight guns are not) and its a GI spec.  The only problem I have ever heard about them is that some of the magazine wells are cut undersized and either will not take or will not cleanly drop some magazines.  Other than that, its a good choice for a WB gun.  As you can see from the responses above, the guys who have good ones love them.

Offline La comadreja salvaje

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 08:31:50 AM »
I haven't seen it lately at least on this board, but a lot of people really rag on the RIA model 1911's. I do not own one, but I'm planning to and I was wondering if there are real life actual failures or troubles with this line of guns? Yes, I know that they are cast frames and that the finish isn't real pretty like a Colt, but I can buy two or three of them for the price of a Colt and they sure do seem to work well.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I could not resist. The other day I was shooting with my bud, who is a CAS nut bad. He is also a 1911 enthusiast like you would not believe. The guy is continuously building or tuning one when ever he is not moving. We were shooting a pile of his guns last weekend, and he presented a nickle plated Cimarron 1911. He shot this against two of his stock Colts, and the import shot right along side the Colt. From what he told me, the Cimarron is made by RIA, and for the money, he has admitted that woth that particular gun there is no reason to pay up to $400++ for a name, location, and tradition for a 1911. He is still Colt through and through, but if you lift his shirt to see what he packs, you will see the nickle Cimarron there and not the Colt.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:36:04 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2013, 11:14:26 AM »
Ask anyone that knocks the RIA 1911 if they shoot REAL SAA's or clones, and if those clones are 100% out-of-box copies of the original.
We'd probably all shoot the Colt's if money was no object, although we'd beat 'em up in the process. Hell, I'd shoot Turnbull guns or engraved guns if I could afford them. Ed Brown offers a beauty!

At our midweek IPSC practice, I was asked why I choose to shoot my Remington R1 and not my tricked out Series '70 Gold Cup. The answer - I prefer the looks of the R1 and I don't really need a flared mag well, ambi-safety, large mag release button, etc. And the R1 is far from being a pre-1911A1 with hi-viz sights, bevelled mag well, long tang, stainless barrel bushing, throated barrel, lowered and dimpled ejection port.

I can understand the appeal of the original 1911 platform, if you can put up with hammer bite, stovepipe malfunctions and miniscule sights. If everyone used them, it would level the playing field, but that ain't gonna happen.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com