Author Topic: Cimarron 1897  (Read 5744 times)

Offline Rich

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cimarron 1897
« on: July 03, 2011, 12:48:43 PM »
I'm going to purchase a shotgun for CAS next week. Is the 1897 going to be the quickest shotgun to manipulate (as in rounds on target per minute)?

Any known problems with the Cimarron 1897?

Offline Marshal Deadwood

• SHOOTER FOR HIRE
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Home of the Plainsmen
  • Liked:
Re: Cimarron 1897
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 05:16:59 AM »
I shoot a double, but am considering a '97 myself. I personally think that most people can run a '97 faster than a double. I'm sure there are exceptions,,but the '97 seems to be the 'go to' shotgun for SASS.

MD

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 10:28:27 AM »
There are top shooters that use both the 97 and the double.  (There's a few that use 87's.)  Each has advantages or disadvantages depending on the shooting scenario.  Each has different reliability issues.  Both take lots of practice to become proficient.  A new shooter isn't going to be terribly fast with either.  As a general rule new shooters can reach slightly higher speeds with a 97 slightly faster, but after a few months they equalize. What you are looking at is not rounds per minute, but rounds per second.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:56:21 PM »

Offline Three Fingered Fred

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 10:18:14 AM »
Speed depends on the type of target,  If there is a pop up--double is faster, 4knock downs--'97.  The '97 may be slightly faster but it's more apt to have mechanical problems.

I shoot a '97 because I like the action.
I am noboby, nobody's perfect--therefore I am perfect.

Offline Red Leg Russ

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 03:25:44 PM »
I bought a Cimarron '97 from Evil Roy last year and it is great.  It came with a Coyote Cap action job.  It came with a rubber recoil pad attached.  The length of stock was too long for me.  Had it shortened to fit me.  I am very happy with this shotgun.

Offline NCRanger

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 03:24:53 PM »
It's pretty easy to pick up the rythm with the '97! I left mine with the 30" barrel cause I figure if I have a misfire, I can reach out and tap the target  ;)!
Actually I planned to cut the barrel down to 20", but when I received it, it was so pretty I didn't have the heart to do it. So I shoot it with the long barrel. I bet there were plenty of cowboys who used'em with a long barrel; historically speaking.
"Long days and pleasant nights!"

Offline Popa Kapoff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 08:09:38 PM »
Ive seen two 97 cimarron around here in New York and bougth of them where jammed and one was sent back for repair before it could be sold. I was looking at getting a 97 by Noranco Ive seen more of those around and all seemed better in quailty
Till we meet keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face.

Offline fowler

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 06:37:13 AM »
  My Cimarron has been flawless and very well made. It has a choke tube and was made at Polytech.  Polytech made better guns than Norinco. Ak47,s made by polytech get more money than Norinco,s.  My 97 clone has factory hard chromed bolt and bore. Smooth and very reliable with very nice blueing and walnut.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com