Author Topic: Wellington Boots  (Read 7914 times)

Offline Two-Step

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wellington Boots
« on: July 02, 2011, 05:13:21 PM »
Quite some time ago I did an essay about how rubber was commonly used in American clothing, during the 19th century. I was wondering, since there are so many historical reenactors, if anyone is using vulcanized or rubber clothing as part of their attire, such as Wellington boots, Canndee Boots, slickers, vulcanized leather, and etc,...
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Wellington Boots
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 05:43:07 PM »
I haven't although there were a couple times I wish I would of, I've got a couple pictures of them being worn in the period though, if you want I can dig them out.

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 07:38:32 PM »
I remember watching the Andy Griffith Show and seeing Andy wearing Wellingtons and his pants leg was always stuck down in one of the boot tops.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:41:33 AM »

Offline Two-Step

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 01:18:42 PM »
I haven't although there were a couple times I wish I would of, I've got a couple pictures of them being worn in the period though, if you want I can dig them out.

That would be great.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote. -Benjamin Franklin

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 04:40:07 AM »
The Duke of Wellington wore elegant leather boots. The rubber version that bear his name must have him spinning in his grave.... :D

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 11:49:21 AM »
Here are a couple pictures I have og folks wearing rubber boots:

April 1889 Guthrie Oklahoma Territory:

Picture 11978 Solomon Butcher Collection near Sargent Nebraska, 1903:

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 01:42:22 PM »
It might not be a bad idea if we should wear Wellie's when the BS gets too deep around here.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Two-Step

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 02:59:42 PM »
The Duke of Wellington wore elegant leather boots. The rubber version that bear his name must have him spinning in his grave.... :D

But, if he where wearing rubber wellingtons, at least he would be spinning with dry feet.  ;D
 And considering he was of the "royal" breed, he probably would have happily worn a pair when he went trout fishing... only a poor coarse fisherman would be content with wet feet and then only because he couldn't afford rubber wellingtons.

I can definitly see the benifits of the Wellington vulcanized boot for daily wear, ecspecialy in the wet season. Even town streets could become muddy pools of soup that would destroy even the nicest pair of town shoes. Not to mention the value they would have to anyone who ventured into the wilds, such as surveyers, loggers, fence builders, sportsmen, etc,...

We have to keep in mind that not everyone in the 19th Century was a double braced gunslinger dressed to the nines in his eastern store bought "dude" wear... a fact that often gets conveniantly forgotten by many old west reenactors

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 12:01:23 AM »
It might not be a bad idea if we should wear Wellie's when the BS gets too deep around here.

Ah My Dear Texas Lawdog -
I fear I must have been remiss as of late - I will endevour to produce more as rapidly as possible to fill the need.

yhs
prof  marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 12:23:31 AM »
Here are a couple pictures I have of folks wearing rubber boots:

April 1889 Guthrie Oklahoma Territory:

Ah My Dear Del -
Those two individuals look positively British in their suspoenders, ties, deerstalkers, and is that a double rifle, or could it be a shotgun? perhaps a smoothbore  might be appropriate for wingshooting in the muddy fields.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 06:49:04 AM »
From the pose of the one fellow, I thought it was an early advertisment for Captain Morgan's Rum ;D

As to the leather Wellingtons, nice period correct wear as well.   Real convenient for fellows with larger calves (when I was a 100 pounds heavier mine were more full grown bulls).   The low boots don't rub the calves.   Much more comfortable for a day of shooting.   The artillary boots being sold by some sutleries are not that far off.

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 07:42:27 AM »
The boots in the pictures of the gentlemen near Guthrie, OK look like the rubber irrigating boots you get at most farm supply stores.
T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 11:15:35 AM »
The boots in the pictures of the gentlemen near Guthrie, OK look like the rubber irrigating boots you get at most farm supply stores.
T-Joe

Yep, about the only thing different is they use a better quality of artificial rubber.  2-5 buckle overshoes ain't changed much either, so if it's muddy pull them on and go.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com